IT products to become duty-free

jos

It's good in the respect that if it's cheaper to buy and ship components it's faster to prototype and produce, so the speed of technology advancement will increase.

In terms of cost to consumers? Probably the same.

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 3700X - CPU Cooler: Deepcool Castle 240EX - Motherboard: MSI B450 GAMING PRO CARBON AC

RAM: 2 x 8GB Corsair Vengeance Pro RBG 3200MHz - GPU: MSI RTX 3080 GAMING X TRIO

How come I have a feeling this wont affect the prices of tech in the UK...

This is good. Since the Canadian dollar tanked, electronics prices really spiked. Not as bad as some regions are normally, but still up like 20-40% in one damn year which is alarming.

I remember shopping for CPUs and GPUs on Amazon.com and even with duty plus conversion rate I stood to save money compared to Amazon.ca, for instance. Take the duty out of that, and hell yeah.

ExMachina (2016-Present) i7-6700k/GTX970/32GB RAM/250GB SSD

Picard II (2015-Present) Surface Pro 4 i5-6300U/8GB RAM/256GB SSD

LlamaBox (2014-Present) i7-4790k/GTX 980Ti/16GB RAM/500GB SSD/Asus ROG Swift

Kronos (2009-2014) i7-920/GTX680/12GB RAM/120GB SSD

Highly doubt it, think it would affect things like for example i go buy a 980ti from the US. On paper it's miles cheaper than here in the UK if you covert. But add in all those daft import charges etc and it ends up adding serveral hundreds dollars (in some cases) more to the price making it a pointless purchase.

I believe it's all these extra charges that get lumped on after you reach the "checkout" screen before you actually buy it that get affected. Don't quote me on it though.

This affects the money you have to pay to get expensive items through customs. So if you bought a titan x in the US for 999 dollars you won't have to pay the ~$200 that customs and excise charge for importing it.

Intel i7 5820K (4.5 GHz) | MSI X99A MPower | 32 GB Kingston HyperX Fury 2666MHz | Asus RoG STRIX GTX 1080ti OC | Samsung 951 m.2 nVME 512GB | Crucial MX200 1000GB | Western Digital Caviar Black 2000GB | Noctua NH-D15 | Fractal Define R5 | Seasonic 860 Platinum | Logitech G910 | Sennheiser 599 | Blue Yeti | Logitech G502

Nikon D500 | Nikon 300mm f/4 PF  | Nikon 200-500 f/5.6 | Nikon 50mm f/1.8 | Tamron 70-210 f/4 VCII | Sigma 10-20 f/3.5 | Nikon 17-55 f/2.8 | Tamron 90mm F2.8 SP Di VC USD Macro | Neewer 750II

Does that include VAT ?

No but it would help us to get through those pesky import tax  ... VAT is about 10% , the import tax are the actual devil because it depends on the type of product and country . 

Say you have a $100 GTX 750Ti shipping to your place , the final price ( with shipping ) , would be about $115-$120 ... If the import tax is apply , it would shot up to about $150 or even more ( Looking at you non-American countries ) , what does this means , you ask ? This means we can finally get EVGA graphics cards , woo hoo !!!!!!!!! And cheaper price because that pesky import tax is gone ... 

... Life is a game and the checkpoints are your birthday , you will face challenges where you may not get rewarded afterwords but those are the challenges that help you improve yourself . Always live for tomorrow because you may never know when your game will be over ... I'm totally not going insane in anyway , shape or form ... I just have broken English and an open mind ... 

duty free = tax free, but i'm assuming this is limited to importing and not local, just customs taxes, which i'm happy as fuck because this POS of a country i live charges a shit ton on custom taxes :D

this is one of the greatest thing that has happened to me recently, and it happened on this forum, those involved have my eternal gratitude http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/198850-update-alex-got-his-moto-g2-lets-get-a-moto-g-for-alexgoeshigh-unofficial/ :')

i use to have the second best link in the world here, but it died ;_; its a 404 now but it will always be here

Sorry, i don't fully understand.

Say I was to buy a Korean monitor and had it imported to the UK, does that mean that the import fees would be cheaper? 

I would assume I would still have to pay the VAT.

Ryze of the Phoenix: 
CPU:      AMD Ryzen 5 3600 @ 4.15GHz
Ram:      64GB Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 @ 3200Mhz (Samsung B-Die & Nanya Technology)
GPU:      MSI RTX 3060 12GB Aero ITX
Storage: Crucial P3 1TB NVMe Gen 4 SSD, 1TB Crucial MX500, Spinning Rust (7TB Internal, 16TB External - All in-use),
PSU:      Cooler Master MWE Gold 750w V2 PSU (Thanks LTT PSU Tier List)
Cooler:   BeQuite! Prue Rock 2 Black Edition
Case:     ThermalTake Versa J22 TG

Passmark 10 Score: 6096.4         CPU-z Score: 4189 MT         Unigine Valley (DX11 @1080p Ultra): 5145         CryEngine Neon Noir (1080p Ultra): 9579

Audio Setup:                  Scarlett 2i2, AudioTechnica AT2020 XLR, Mackie CR3 Monitors, Sennheiser HD559 headphones, HyperX Cloud II Headset, KZ ES4 IEM (Cyan)

Laptop:                            MacBook Pro 2017 (Intel i5 7360U, 8GB DDR3, 128GB SSD, 2x Thunderbolt 3 Ports - No Touch Bar) Catalina & Boot Camp Win10 Pro

Primary Phone:               Xiaomi Mi 11T Pro 5G 256GB (Snapdragon 888)

I'm told that a lot. xD

I'm sure that your SO still loves you either way.

No but it would help us to get through those pesky import tax  ... VAT is about 10% , the import tax are the actual devil because it depends on the type of product and country . 

VAT is 24% here.

i5 4670k @ 4.2GHz (Coolermaster Hyper 212 Evo); ASrock Z87 EXTREME4; 8GB Kingston HyperX Beast DDR3 RAM @ 2133MHz; Asus DirectCU GTX 560; Super Flower Golden King 550 Platinum PSU;1TB Seagate Barracuda;Corsair 200r case. 

Sorry, i don't fully understand.

Say I was to buy a Korean monitor and had it imported to the UK, does that mean that the import fees would be cheaper? 

I would assume I would still have to pay the VAT.

There wont be tax for importing.. I think once i got something via royal mail and i have to pay 20% import duty.. but now there is no duty...It does not just make things that you buy directly beyond becomes cheaper... example intel processor is not manufactured in UK.. the product is imported say by intel UK.. Intel UK pay for import duty to the government.. so the price comes to you eventually.. But there will always be VAT that you need to pay..

How soon can we expect price drops on PC hardware?

i5-4690K@4.5 GHz // Asus Z87-Pro // HyperX Fury 8GB DDR3-1600 // Crucial BX100 250GB // Sapphire Nitro R9 390 // EVGA SuperNOVA 750W G2 // Fractal Design Define S // be quiet! Pure Rock & Pure Wings 2 // BenQ XL2730Z // Corsair Vengeance K70 // Logitech G403 Wireless // Sennheiser HD 598 SE

There wont be tax for importing.. I think once i got something via royal mail and i have to pay 20% import duty.. but now there is no duty...It does not just make things that you buy directly beyond becomes cheaper... example intel processor is not manufactured in UK.. the product is imported say by intel UK.. Intel UK pay for import duty to the government.. so the price comes to you eventually.. But there will always be VAT that you need to pay..

Thanks for clearing that up for me.

So the import fee is still there, its just the end consumer pays for it differently, 

Using your example, Intel would front the import duty, but we would then have to cover for it by paying more to Intel to cover their costs?

Ryze of the Phoenix: 
CPU:      AMD Ryzen 5 3600 @ 4.15GHz
Ram:      64GB Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 @ 3200Mhz (Samsung B-Die & Nanya Technology)
GPU:      MSI RTX 3060 12GB Aero ITX
Storage: Crucial P3 1TB NVMe Gen 4 SSD, 1TB Crucial MX500, Spinning Rust (7TB Internal, 16TB External - All in-use),
PSU:      Cooler Master MWE Gold 750w V2 PSU (Thanks LTT PSU Tier List)
Cooler:   BeQuite! Prue Rock 2 Black Edition
Case:     ThermalTake Versa J22 TG

Passmark 10 Score: 6096.4         CPU-z Score: 4189 MT         Unigine Valley (DX11 @1080p Ultra): 5145         CryEngine Neon Noir (1080p Ultra): 9579

Audio Setup:                  Scarlett 2i2, AudioTechnica AT2020 XLR, Mackie CR3 Monitors, Sennheiser HD559 headphones, HyperX Cloud II Headset, KZ ES4 IEM (Cyan)

Laptop:                            MacBook Pro 2017 (Intel i5 7360U, 8GB DDR3, 128GB SSD, 2x Thunderbolt 3 Ports - No Touch Bar) Catalina & Boot Camp Win10 Pro

Primary Phone:               Xiaomi Mi 11T Pro 5G 256GB (Snapdragon 888)

So the import fee is still there, its just the end consumer pays for it differently, 

Using your example, Intel would front the import duty, but we would then have to cover for it by paying more to Intel to cover their costs?

exactly

I think for semiconductor it says new semiconductor... what i am guessing is existing processors will have duty maybe skylake will be duty free... i might be wrong...

I wouldn't expect prices to fall by any significant margin anytime soon. It's entirely possible the companies will just pocket the savings as it goes through the supply chain.

In any case, even if we do see cost savings, it'll take a while to filter through to the consumer.

For Sale: Meraki Bundle

iPhone Xr 128 GB Product Red - HP Spectre x360 13" (i5 - 8 GB RAM - 256 GB SSD) - HP ZBook 15v G5 15" (i7-8850H - 16 GB RAM - 512 GB SSD - NVIDIA Quadro P600)

How come I have a feeling this wont affect the prices of tech in the UK...

Please don't jinx it :x i have my hand hovering over millions of tech ready to buy from america at super low prices :D

Good, so basically what i said earlier. No more are the time's you see something (in my case from the states) that USD>GBP makes it stupidly cheaper than buying in the UK but get slapped with an extra 400$ on import charges and whatnot. Oh please let it be so !

exactly

Ummm i hope to god we don't have to pay more on the front end because the back end charges have disappeared... that'd make the whole thing pointless....

Motherboard  ROG Strix B350-F Gaming | CPU Ryzen 5 1600 | GPU Sapphire Radeon RX 480 Nitro+ OC  | RAM Corsair Vengeance DDR4 3000MHz 2x8Gb | OS Drive  Crucial MX300 525Gb M.2 | WiFi Card  ASUS PCE-AC68 | Case Switch 810 Gunmetal Grey SE | Storage WD 1.5tb, SanDisk Ultra 3D 500Gb, Samsung 840 EVO 120Gb | NAS Solution Synology 413j 8TB (6TB with 2TB redundancy using Synology Hybrid RAID) | Keyboard SteelSeries APEX | Mouse Razer Naga MMO Edition Green | Fan Controller Sentry LXE | Screens Sony 43" TV | Sound Logitech 5.1 X530

VAT is 24% here.

Ouch ... The pain ... The horror ... 

... Life is a game and the checkpoints are your birthday , you will face challenges where you may not get rewarded afterwords but those are the challenges that help you improve yourself . Always live for tomorrow because you may never know when your game will be over ... I'm totally not going insane in anyway , shape or form ... I just have broken English and an open mind ... 

Say you have a $100 GTX 750Ti shipping to your place , the final price ( with shipping ) , would be about $115-$120 ... If the import tax is apply , it would shot up to about $150 or even more ( Looking at you non-American countries ) , what does this means , you ask ? This means we can finally get EVGA graphics cards , woo hoo !!!!!!!!! And cheaper price because that pesky import tax is gone ... 

VAT is 24% here.

24% here too. Import duty is like 8% , so this wont help very much

My PC CPU: 2600K@4.5GHz 1.3v Cooler: Noctua NH-U12P SE2 MB: ASUS Maximus IV RAM: Kingston 1600MHz 8GB & Corsair 1600MHz 16GB GPU: 780Ti Storage: Samsung 850 Evo 500GB SSD, Samsung 830 256GB SSD, Kingston 128GB SSD, WD Black 1TB,WD Green 1TB. PSU: Corsair AX850 Case: CM HAF X. Optical drive: LG Bluray burner  MacBook Pro, Hackintosh

24% here too. Import duty is like 8% , so this wont help very much

VAT on some countries though ... The struggle is real ...

Duty-free = Tax free [more or less]

just fyi :P

Import tax free. NOT sales tax free. Of course you'll still have to pay regular Sales Tax or VAT (depending on location) for any IT purchases.

iPhone Xr 128 GB Product Red - HP Spectre x360 13" (i5 - 8 GB RAM - 256 GB SSD) - HP ZBook 15v G5 15" (i7-8850H - 16 GB RAM - 512 GB SSD - NVIDIA Quadro P600)

I'm told that a lot. xD

xDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDD

Someone told Luke and Linus at CES 2017 to "Unban the legend known as Jerakl" and that's about all I've got going for me. (It didn't work)

This is actually good news for many places: i.e. I see Brazil in that map, where duty taxes are legendarily shitty (like paying 1700 USD for a PS4 and such) so we might start seeing a lot more gamers from all over....oh crap that also means all games will have millions of new screaming 12 year olds....abort! ABORT!!!!

-------

Current Rig

-------

This is actually good news for many places: i.e. I see Brazil in that map, where duty taxes are legendarily shitty (like paying 1700 USD for a PS4 and such) so we might start seeing a lot more gamers from all over....oh crap that also means all games will have millions of new screaming 12 year olds....abort! ABORT!!!!

Well at least they will be screaming in Portuguese, so most of us won't have any idea what the fuck they're saying anyway :P

I assume you speak fluent Spanish, so given the similarities in the languages, you might understand the screaming 12 year old's better.