Things are cheap in America? Check again

Go to solution Solved by PCBudgetSolutions,

What I am saying is, to say "Things are cheaper in the US then elsewhere" is a terribly bold statement.  Things to factor is that fact that our economy and wages as a whole are MUCH lower in the US then elsewhere.  Our Unemployment is stupidly high and the cost of living in say AUS is as the OP showed 40-60% higher than us, but their wages are more than TWICE what ours is.  Also factor in, we get DESTROYED on healthcare.  If your company offers it good luck paying less than 800/month, it's 1400 through the government, and we have income tax and 7 other taxes out of our paychecks.  I didn't even pay healthcare and I lost 41% from taxes...

EDIT: apparently the AUS min wage for 21+ is 16.88 which is over 18 USD, which mean's its not 2.5 times ours yet their average cost of living is only about 1.5 times ours.  And we get taxed just as bad or worse.  GG I am gonna move to AUS, let crime there as a whole too!

In fact, when you think about it maybe that's part of the reason why countries like the US and the UK are in so much debt.

I won't get into this more than this, but the reason that is is because the US writes too many hot checks then bails themselves out by manipulating numbers or something (it's really so asinine that I couldn't understand it's logic). 

I live in Texas, where the State government sets the budget based on what the State grossed as revenue the year before and will not spend money beyond that limit. Meaning we never get debt because we simply don't spend money until we have the money to spend. 

... Imagine if other governments did that.

† Christian Member †

For my pertinent links to guides, reviews, and anything similar, go here, and look under the spoiler labeled such. A brief history of Unix and it's relation to OS X by Builder.

I think Australian's just want to have an Amazon based here... that's all we really want  :P

CPU: 3930k  @ stock                                  RAM: 32GB RipjawsZ @ 2133Mhz       Cooling: Custom Loop
MOBO: AsRock x79 Extreme9                      SSD: 240GB Vertex 3 (OS)                     Case: HAF XB                     LG 34um95 + Ergotron MX Arm Mount - Dual Review
  GPUs: Gigabyte GTX 670 SLI                     HDD: 1TB WD Black                                PSU: Corsair AX 860                               Beyerdynamic - Custom One Pro Review

I think Australian's just want to have an Amazon based here... that's all we really want  :P

lol, i prefer Newegg.

Specs: Core I7-2600K @ 4.5GHz @ 1.35V, 4x4GB Corsair Vengeance Black 1600MHz CL9, Cooler Master Evo 212, MSI Z77 Mpower Motherboard, Sapphire Radeon HD 7950 Vapor-X @ 1000/1400, Cooler Master HAF 932 Blue Edition w/ 3 Cougar Hydraulic Bearing 120MM fans (2 up top 1 in the bottom) replaced side panel with a window, and rear fan with a Cougar Hydraulic Bearing 140MM, Cooler Master GX 650 80+ Bronze PSU, Samsung DVD-RW, Samsung 840 Pro 128GB SSD, Seagate 750GB SATA III 7200RPM

I won't get into this more than this, but the reason that is is because the US writes too many hot checks then bails themselves out by manipulating numbers or something (it's really so asinine that I couldn't understand it's logic). 

I live in Texas, where the State government sets the budget based on what the State grossed as revenue the year before and will not spend money beyond that limit. Meaning we never get debt because we simply don't spend money until we have the money to spend. 

You don't spend money till you have it, came across this

http://www.usdebtclock.org/state-debt-clocks/state-of-texas-debt-clock.html

DESKTOP - Motherboard - Gigabyte GA-Z77X-D3H Processor - Intel Core i5-2500K @ Stock 1.135v Cooling - Cooler Master Hyper TX3 RAM - Kingston Hyper-X Fury White 4x4GB DDR3-1866 Graphics Card - MSI GeForce GTX 780 Lightning PSU - Seasonic M12II EVO Edition 850w  HDD -  WD Caviar  Blue 500GB (Boot Drive)  /  WD Scorpio Black 750GB (Games Storage) / WD Green 2TB (Main Storage) Case - Cooler Master 335U Elite OS - Microsoft Windows 7 Ultimate

That's why I want complete monetary reform globally, this road we are on leads nowhere.

That can't be a 1st world country...

We are developing country. Everything is super expensive here.For example,imported car would cost twice here than other countries because 100% VAT.Even our own car companies will sell the car cheaper in another countries than our own country.

Average internet speed here is 1mbps

Summary:

• In different counties the minimum wage is different
  • In different counties the average wage is different
  • In different counties the income tax is different
  • In different counties healthcare systems work different

• In different areas within different counties prices for real estate are different

• In different counties the average amount of working hours/week is different

You're just scraping the surface of it, there's so many things to factor in that you would never think of, like how high the taxes are in Sweden, or the average price of necessities and near necessary products.

I made a statement the other day in a thread that people justify the price of things in Australia based on Minimum wage and the "high" price of shipping, and I said that it was terrible way to think about the grand scheme of things that way. A couple of Ausies that replied agreed with me and kind of got defensive when I kept saying that it's how others justify it.

WowHowWow what a fuss people!  :o

There's a time and place for everything! But not now. - Professor Oak

i7 2600K 4.3GHz  -  GTX 1060 3GB  - ASUS P8Z68-V - 16GB DDR3-1600 CL9 - EIZO 1080p 120Hz VA

Intel Skulltrail: 2x Core 2 Quad QX9775 - Intel D5400XS - 16GB FB DDR2-800 CL5 Quad Channel

EVGA SR-2 Classified - 2x Xeon X5675 4.2GHz - 24GB DDR3-1830 C10 Triple Channel

Intel Skulltrail #2: 2x Xeon E5472  - Intel D5400XS - 16GB FB DDR2-667 CL5 Quad Channel

The reason why Texas is in debt is because of so many people moving to Texas. The government has to build "roads, water and wastewater treatment plants, among other infrastructure." Compared to population, Texas is doing fairly well, that's why so many people are moving here.

http://www.texaswatchdog.org/2012/08/texas-third-in-total-state-debt-low-by-per-capita-measure-underfunded-pension-liabilities/1346172574.column

I'm new to this...

Huh. Well, historically, that's how Texas has worked. Apparently it's changed recently (the obviously low debt compared to total income is what implies this to me, when compared to the US's total debt vs total income per year). 

† Christian Member †

For my pertinent links to guides, reviews, and anything similar, go here, and look under the spoiler labeled such. A brief history of Unix and it's relation to OS X by Builder.

That can't be a 1st world country...

Be happy you're paying what you're paying and  stop thinking the rest of the world lives in Aus, seriously man. the 780 prices around R 9,550.00  zar for the cheapest one. that is 965 usd.

Spoiler

CPU: R5 1600 @ 4.2 GHz; GPU: Asus STRIX & Gigabyte g1 GTX 1070 SLI; RAM: 16 GB Corsair vengeance 3200 MHz ; Mobo: Asrock Taichi x470; SSD: 512 gb Samsung 950 Pro Storage: 5x Seagate 2TB drives; 1x 2TB WD PurplePSU: 700 Watt Huntkey; Peripherals: Acer S277HK 4K Monitor; Logitech G502 gaming mouse; Corsair K95 Mechanical keyboard; 5.1 Logitech x530 sound system

01000010 01101001 01101110 01100001 01110010 01111001 00100000 01100100 01101111 01100101 01110011 01101110 00100111 01110100 00100000 01101101 01100001 01101011 01100101 00100000 01111001 01101111 01110101 00100000 01110000 01110010 01101111 00101110

The reason why Texas is in debt is because of so many people moving to Texas. The government has to build "roads, water and wastewater treatment plants, among other infrastructure." Compared to population, Texas is doing fairly well, that's why so many people are moving here.

http://www.texaswatchdog.org/2012/08/texas-third-in-total-state-debt-low-by-per-capita-measure-underfunded-pension-liabilities/1346172574.column

We are doing fairly well, but we have a high rate of homelessness and poverty. my family lives in a $100k house, but I could walk a few blocks down and get to a neighborhood that is nothing but $30K to $50K houses. Katrina also messed Houston up quite a bit, as the poverty and crime rate went up from clashes and the general anger of the people that came and the people already here. many families also become way too large to ever provide enough for everyone, especially with poorer families. My cousin has 8 kids and they live in a double-wide, and my classmate from New Orleans had 13 siblings and counting, with him being the oldest.

It's also true that we're expanding like crazy infrastructure wise. Everywhere I go there is always work being done to expand the roads and upgrade the water lines.

also your house. I live in a 3 bedroom one bathroom house on a small block valued at 450k. America has things cheap. its not our fault your government rips you off in minimum wages. I take it unions aren't a big thing in the US?

Only reason American houses are cheap right now is due to foreclosure. People can't pay their mortgage, house goes for foreclosure = insanely dirt cheap prices. What's sad though, is people can't afford a mortgage at that price (houses valued at under $200k).

Contrast that to Vancouver, where the minimum for a 3 bedroom house would be over $1-1.5m. A downtown condo (1 bedroom, kitchen, living, etc) is also around $1m minimum.

There are many more factors affecting costs. "Expensive" and "cheap" are also subjective. I look at a 3 bedroom house in the US and I'll be laughing because I could afford that in less than 4 years of saving up from a full time Engineering job, and that's including taking care of my basic needs, and buying the house for full cash. Someone living in the US would be close to committing suicide just to maintain a mortgage payment on the same house.

Sure puts things into perspective.

Interested in Linux, SteamOS and Open-source applications? Go here

Gaming Rig - CPU: i5 3570k @ Stock | GPU: EVGA Geforce 560Ti 448 Core Classified Ultra | RAM: Mushkin Enhanced Blackline 8GB DDR3 1600 | SSD: Crucial M4 128GB | HDD: 3TB Seagate Barracuda, 1TB WD Caviar Black, 1TB Seagate Barracuda | Case: Antec Lanboy Air | KB: Corsair Vengeance K70 Cherry MX Blue | Mouse: Corsair Vengeance M95 | Headset: Steelseries Siberia V2

Be happy you're paying what you're paying and  stop thinking the rest of the world lives in Aus, seriously man. the 780 prices around R 9,550.00  zar for the cheapest one. that is 965 usd.

What is the minimum wage there?

Specs: Core I7-2600K @ 4.5GHz @ 1.35V, 4x4GB Corsair Vengeance Black 1600MHz CL9, Cooler Master Evo 212, MSI Z77 Mpower Motherboard, Sapphire Radeon HD 7950 Vapor-X @ 1000/1400, Cooler Master HAF 932 Blue Edition w/ 3 Cougar Hydraulic Bearing 120MM fans (2 up top 1 in the bottom) replaced side panel with a window, and rear fan with a Cougar Hydraulic Bearing 140MM, Cooler Master GX 650 80+ Bronze PSU, Samsung DVD-RW, Samsung 840 Pro 128GB SSD, Seagate 750GB SATA III 7200RPM

Not really.  When converted the currency based on cost of living and minimum wage, everything is FAR cheaper everywhere else basically.

Minimum wage where I live is $8.75, it changes, not to mention the cost of living is MUCH higher in Aus., so they need to spend way more than we do, not to mention usually insane shipping. All in all, Aus. has to spend more than us, to be equal the minimum wage should be something like 20-25 AUS, they have to spend more. And honostly this whole thread just seems to be a bit of a hate thread....

BTW the numbers:

Indices Difference

Consumer Prices in United States are 32.10% lower than in Australia

Consumer Prices Including Rent in United States are 34.93% lower than in Australia

Rent Prices in United States are 40.70% lower than in Australia

Restaurant Prices in United States are 32.57% lower than in Australia

Groceries Prices in United States are 26.40% lower than in Australia

Local Purchasing Power in United States is 30.82% higher than in Australia

This post doesn't factor in nearly enough variables to make this even close to accurate... This is why people go to colleges/universities and have classes that study this exact thing... Can't really be factored by a random person... 

Intel 3570K - MSI GTX 660Ti 3GB OC Edition - 16GB Corsair LP RAM - ASRock Extreme4 Motherboard - Corsair HX850 - Adata Premier Pro SP900 120GB SSD with Windows 7 - Seagate Barracuda 1TD HDD - Seagate Barracuda 500GB HDD - Thermaltake Frio CPU Cooler - CM Storm Enforcer Case - Macbook Pro Early 2011 Laptop

What is the minimum wage there?

The minimum wage doesn't matter even close to as much as the Cost of Living... which you didn't factor in... Think of it like this, if I make $100 an hour in the usa but the state I live in has much higher prices than everywhere else that money isn't worth much...

Intel 3570K - MSI GTX 660Ti 3GB OC Edition - 16GB Corsair LP RAM - ASRock Extreme4 Motherboard - Corsair HX850 - Adata Premier Pro SP900 120GB SSD with Windows 7 - Seagate Barracuda 1TD HDD - Seagate Barracuda 500GB HDD - Thermaltake Frio CPU Cooler - CM Storm Enforcer Case - Macbook Pro Early 2011 Laptop

Why don't we make a country where everything computer related is super cheap and affordable.

I think I might start a kickstarter  :P

I'm new to this...

Thanks for this post. I commented something similar on that post too. You can't just compare the price of two goods and make a conclusion like that. There were so many things they didn't factor in.

i thoght the original poster left the forums... then I saw his posts the next day.

I have a friend in aus that wants to build a pc and it costs like an extra 600$ for a haswell/780 system lol :/

Another friend that lives in brazil had to spent 1150$ on a 7770 SLI fx-6300 system. I think I put it together for like 620$ or something on newegg but they wouldn't ship there so he had to buy in some weird store in brazil lol

Stuff:  i7 7700k @ (dat nibba succ) | ASRock Z170M OC Formula | G.Skill TridentZ 3600 c16 | EKWB 1080 @ 2100 mhz  |  Acer X34 Predator | R4 | EVGA 1000 P2 | 1080mm Radiator Custom Loop | HD800 + Audio-GD NFB-11 | 850 Evo 1TB | 840 Pro 256GB | 3TB WD Blue | 2TB Barracuda

Hwbot: http://hwbot.org/user/lays/ 

FireStrike 980 ti @ 1800 Mhz http://hwbot.org/submission/3183338 http://www.3dmark.com/3dm/11574089

In my country,minimum wage is 1 USD per hour but 780 would cost us 1000 USD. Even a university graduated teacher only get 800USD per month.

800 USD a month? seriously? that literally wouldn't be sufficient for a roof over my head, even if you walked around naked and somehow survived without eating food.

Thanks for this post. I commented something similar on that post too. You can't just compare the price of two goods and make a conclusion like that. There were so many things they didn't factor in.

a stupid ammount of things they didn't factor in .. honestly this was a extremely shallow deduction and overall pointless .. honestly proves nothing

a stupid ammount of things they didn't factor in .. honestly this was a extremely shallow deduction and overall pointless .. honestly proves nothing

Very true. I know this is a tech forum so I might get some crap for this but were talking about hardware that 95% of the population would not be able to utilize anyway. There are many other much more important goods that I would rather be able to buy cheaper. 

Why don't we make a country where everything computer related is super cheap and affordable.

I think I might start a kickstarter  :P

Because that's not how economics work.