MSI 390X or Asus Strix GTX 980?

TrickyWitcher

The MSI 390X is $670(no tax) and the Strix 980 is $740(no tax).

I also have a H440 if that helps anyone decide. I honestly have no preference over AMD or NVIDIA.

Main goal is to mod Skyrim, and Fallout 4 and achieve a stable 56-60fps. Will be playing at 1080p, sometimes downsampling from 1440p or 4K if I can stay at 60fps in the game in question.

I think I'd go with the 390x in that case, but people will probably argue for the 980.

Sig under construction.

R9 390x, cheaper and faster(excluding 1080p, but not a lot slower on 1080p)

Spoiler

Main PC: CPU Xeon E3-1231 V3 - MB Asrock B85M Pro3 - RAM 16GB Kingston - GPU GTX 1070 Gainward Phoenix - PSU Corsair AX760i - Monitor  LG 22EA63 - Keyboard Corsair Strafe - Mouse Logitech G402 - Storage 2x3TB WD Green - 240GB OCZ SSD

390X considering the price difference, would consider 980 if it was something other then Strix

"Rawr XD"

390X considering the price difference, would consider 980 if it was something other then Strix

Reference?

Probably the 390X in this situation.

My Rigs:

Gaming/CAD/Rendering Rig
Case:
 Corsair Air 240 , CPU: i7-4790K, Mobo: ASUS Gryphon Z97 mATX,  GPU: Gigabyte G1 Gaming GTX 970, RAM: G.Skill Sniper 16GB, SSD: SAMSUNG 1TB 840 EVO, Cooling: Corsair H80i PCPP: https://au.pcpartpicker.com/b/f2TH99SFF HTPC
Case:
Silverstone ML06B, CPU: Pentium G3258, Mobo: Gigabyte GA-H97N-WiFi, RAM: G.Skill 4GB, SSD: Kingston SSDNow 120GB PCPP: https://au.pcpartpicker.com/b/JmZ8TW

Reference?

I believe that even reference is better than the Strix for power delivery. G1 gaming is where it's at?

Sig under construction.

I believe that even reference is better than the Strix for power delivery. G1 gaming is where it's at?

G1 Gaming isn't on sale. and costs $60 more than the Strix. I guess I'll go 390X if nothing else comes up. I'll wait a little more, until Otakuthon(anime con in Montreal) and see if the NVIDIA booth has anything there.

tbh reference is just as good as Strix if not better

I can tell you warranty and customer support will be a hell of a lot better too.

Spoiler

Senor Shiny: Main- CPU Intel i7 6700k 4.7GHz @1.42v | RAM G.Skill TridentZ CL16 3200 | GPU Asus Strix GTX 1070 (2100/2152) | Motherboard ASRock Z170 OC Formula | HDD Seagate 1TB x2 | SSD 850 EVO 120GB | CASE NZXT S340 (Black) | PSU Supernova G2 750W  | Cooling NZXT Kraken X62 w/Vardars
Secondary (Plex): CPU Intel Xeon E3-1230 v3 @1.099v | RAM Samsun Wonder 16GB CL9 1600 (sadly no oc) | GPU Asus GTX 680 4GB DCII | Motherboard ASRock H97M-Pro4 | HDDs Seagate 1TB, WD Blue 1TB, WD Blue 3TB | Case Corsair Air 240 (Black) | PSU EVGA 600B | Cooling GeminII S524

Spoiler

(Deceased) DangerousNotDell- CPU AMD AMD FX 8120 @4.8GHz 1.42v | GPU Asus GTX 680 4GB DCII | RAM Samsung Wonder 8GB (CL9 2133MHz 1.6v) | Motherboard Asus Crosshair V Formula-Z | Cooling EVO 212 | Case Rosewill Redbone | PSU EVGA 600B | HDD Seagate 1TB

DangerousNotDell New Parts For Main Rig Build Log, Señor Shiny  I am a beautiful person. The comments for your help. I have to be a good book. I have to be a good book. I have to be a good book.

390X is faster and cheaper

980 consumes less power

In the benches I've seen, at 1080p, they seem to trade blows. Can I have the benchmarks you looked at?

the fury is on par with the 980 too in most benchies and costs more in the uk.

Gpu: MSI 4G GTX 970 | Cpu: i5 4690k @4.6Ghz 1.23v | Cpu Cooler: Cryorig r1 ultimate | Ram: 1600mhz 2x8Gb corsair vengeance | Storage: sandisk ultra ii 128gb (os) 1TB WD Green | Psu: evga supernova g1 650watt | Case: fractal define s windowed |

well the 980 is at a really shit price point and the 390x is probs the bees knees for your situation, but i would try to mow lawns and go ham to get that extra bit to get that ti. Because isn't it more disheartening to come so close to the max and just settle. Like as a pc gamer myself all i did was settle and i went full red team and now i am a sad puppy. :( tbh I would wait.

well the 980 is at a really shit price point and the 390x is probs the bees knees for your situation, but i would try to mow lawns and go ham to get that extra bit to get that ti. Because isn't it more disheartening to come so close to the max and just settle. Like as a pc gamer myself all i did was settle and i went full red team and now i am a sad puppy. :( tbh I would wait.

Why are you sad for going full red team? Other than the CPU.

i7 6700K @ Stock (Yes I know) ~~~ Corsair H80i GT ~~~ GIGABYTE G1 Gaming Z170X Gaming 7 ~~~ G. Skill Ripjaws V 2x8GB DDR4-2800 ~~~ EVGA ACX 3.0 GTX 1080 SC @ 2GHz ~~~ EVGA P2 850W 80+ Platinum ~~~ Samsung 850 EVO 500GB ~~~ Crucial MX200 250GB ~~~ Crucial M500 240GB ~~~ Phanteks Enthoo Luxe

Why are you sad for going full red team? Other than the CPU.

because i went red team for both.......and realized that i not only shot my own foot but then proceeded to take out my own kneecaps.....

Heyyo,

AMD R9 390X unless you're REALLY big into overclocking... overclocked? A GTX 980 can better flex its muscles for the price point versus an AMD R9 390X which barely overclocks due to thermals and being a slightly refreshed AMD R9 290X.

because i went red team for both.......and realized that i not only shot my own foot but then proceeded to take out my own kneecaps.....

AMD only has worse processors tbh. Their GPUs are plenty competitive versus NVIDIA for price-to-performance which tbh matters more than power consumption at least to me and I'm sure most people. The cost difference between the two over a year isn't nearly as big as people think... I only hope that AMD's new CPUs slated for 2016 can make them competitive again for enthusiast builds and help them get out of their slump and hopefully help reduce prices on enthusiast CPUs.

CPU? Yeah definitely Intel on anything above a mid-range PC Gaming build. The AMD FX-6300 is probably the highest AMD CPU I'd recommend.. and that heavily depends on which games you play since a comparably priced Intel i3 will offer more reliable performance on most titles that aren't properly multi-threaded. AMD's CPU focus was too much on core count and not enough on efficiency which is the opposite of the early 2000's when their Athlon 64 CPUs spanked the Pentium IVs in every way... they took a gamble on core count over efficiency and sadly the software developers didn't follow suit... especially in gaming. Heck, popular games like World of Tanks IS STILL SINGLE THREADED! That blows my mind.

Heyyo,

My PC Build: https://pcpartpicker.com/b/sNPscf

My Android Phone: Exodus Android on my OnePlus One 64bit in Sandstone Black in a Ringke Fusion clear & slim protective case

The MSI 390X is $670(no tax) and the Strix 980 is $740(no tax).

I also have a H440 if that helps anyone decide. I honestly have no preference over AMD or NVIDIA.

Main goal is to mod Skyrim, and Fallout 4 and achieve a stable 56-60fps. Will be playing at 1080p, sometimes downsampling from 1440p or 4K if I can stay at 60fps in the game in question.

One question. How far do you want to take your modding?

i5 2400 | ASUS RTX 4090 TUF OC | Seasonic 1200W Prime Gold | WD Green 120gb | WD Blue 1tb | some ram | a random case

One question. How far do you want to take your modding?

2K textures for everything other than NPC and the PC. 4K textures for characters and armour and weapons and the like. Gonna use Skysins.

For ENB I'll go either Serenity EXFX 2.0 or fadingsignal's SPECTRA ENB when it comes out, which is an improved Straylight.

Also going to use Unbelievable Grass Two

2K textures for everything other than NPC and the PC. 4K textures for characters and armour and weapons and the like. Gonna use Skysins.

For ENB I'll go either Serenity EXFX 2.0 or fadingsignal's SPECTRA ENB when it comes out, which is an improved Straylight.

Also going to use Unbelievable Grass Two

What resolution will you be playing at? 

i5 2400 | ASUS RTX 4090 TUF OC | Seasonic 1200W Prime Gold | WD Green 120gb | WD Blue 1tb | some ram | a random case

Do you have a beefy PSU?

The 390X consumes a lot of power.

You need at least a good 600w PSU, since in a lot of reviews they're getting max loads of 500w or more (total system)