Cannot remove USB 3.0 header from motherboard

Hi,

I need to remove the USB 3.0 header from motherboard - please see attached images.

Tried to apply reasonable force, but seems like it stuck there.

Can't see any locking mechanism.

post-244349-0-27610100-1437557898_thumb.

post-244349-0-32850100-1437557901_thumb.

Appreciate your help,

EZ

post-244349-0-27610100-1437557898_thumb.

post-244349-0-32850100-1437557901_thumb.

Had this problem on my previous board/case... Just be patient and 'wriggle' it out along the header (side to side) don't pull it out.

EDIT: Though if I remember correctly, I had to remove everything but the RAM and CPU/Cooler on the motherboard and I had to remove the motherboard out of the case. I have a cheap case back then so I attribute that to how hard the header was hard to remove.

Processor : i7-6700k (stock speed)

Cooler : Hyper 212X

Motherboard: MSI Krait Gaming Z170

RAM : 4x4gb LPX Memory

Boot Device : Samsung 860 EVO

GPU : ZOTAC 1070 Extreme

PSU :Antec HCG-620M

wiggle along the short sides along the axis of the long sides, pull directly upwards, not sideways out.

We can't Benchmark like we used to, but we have our ways. One trick is to shove more GPUs in your computer. Like the time I needed to NV-Link, because I needed a higher HeavenBench score, so I did an SLI, which is what they called NV-Link back in the day. So, I decided to put two GPUs in my computer, which was the style at the time. Now, to add another GPU to your computer, costs a new PSU. Now in those days PSUs said OCZ on them, "Gimme 750W OCZs for an SLI" you'd say. Now where were we? Oh yeah, the important thing was that I had two GPUs in my rig, which was the style at the time! They didn't have RGB PSUs at the time, because of the war. The only thing you could get was those big green ones. 

wiggle left- right, that helps 

Longboarders/ skaters message me!

There are small tabs located on the plug that clips into the header from the inside. Used a precision flat head screwdriver to gently pry some space between the plug and header so the tabs can come loose and you should be able to pull it out.

Note:Some plugs will.have the tabs located on the back side. This pic shownits in the front.

10sc8ew.jpg

Intel Xeon E5 1650 v3 @ 3.5GHz 6C:12T / CM212 Evo / Asus X99 Deluxe / 16GB (4x4GB) DDR4 3000 Trident-Z / Samsung 850 Pro 256GB / Intel 335 240GB / WD Red 2 & 3TB / Antec 850w / RTX 2070 / Win10 Pro x64

HP Envy X360 15: Intel Core i5 8250U @ 1.6GHz 4C:8T / 8GB DDR4 / Intel UHD620 + Nvidia GeForce MX150 4GB / Intel 120GB SSD / Win10 Pro x64

HP Envy x360 BP series Intel 8th gen

AMD ThreadRipper 2!

5820K & 6800K 3-way SLI mobo support list

So like this?

Rotate your curved arrow 90 degrees. Wiggle lengthwise side to side, along the strongest axis.

LanSyndicate Build | i5-6600k | ASRock OC Formula | G.Skill 3600MHz | Samsung 850 Evo | MSI R9-290X 8GB Alphacool Block | Enthoo Pro M | XTR Pro 750w | Custom Loop |

Daily | 5960X | X99 Sabertooth | G.Skill 3000MHz | 750 NVMe | 850 Evo | x2 WD Se 2TB | x2 Seagate 3TB | Sapphire R9-290X 8GB | Enthoo Primo | EVGA 1000G2 | Custom Loop |

Game Box | 4690K | Z97i-Plus | G.Skill 2400MHz | x2 840 Evo | GTX 970 shorty | Corsair 250D modded with H105 | EVGA 650w B2 |

• 1 year later...
  • 2 years later...

just ran into this same issue.  USB 3.0 connector is a nightmare.  i, too, had a cheap case and i suppose a cheap front panel USB 3 header to go with it.  looked pretty standard to me.  wanted to swap in a USB panel with more connections so needed to unplug the case port.  i pulled and wriggled, i wiggled and yanked, i jimmied back and forth for damn near 30 minutes and made no progress so i ended up here.  i found very little help but at least got some assurrance i wasn't doing something stupid.  i jammed a pocket knife between the MOBO receptacle and the plug and bent the housing's plastic outwards so there was no way any of the plastic tabs were holding it and... thing was still stuck.  come on! 

i ended up just pulling harder and harder until the damn thing broke, and completely regretted having started messing with the infernal thing at all.  the header from the front panel of the case ripped apart, leaving the majority of itself still hopelessly jammed into the MOBO socket, only now there was nothing to grab ahold of.  now the thing i was trying to avoid, removing the MOBO, was absolutely required to have any hope of digging the hunk of cement-like plastic out and leaving a useable MOBO receptacle.  i was ultimately able to do it, and plugged in my new front panel USB connectors.  whoopity-doo!  instructions for install were so simple, like literally unplug one, plug in the other.  but WHY DID IT TAKE HOURS?? 

On 7/22/2015 at 9:06 AM, runit3 said:

Rotate your curved arrow 90 degrees. Wiggle lengthwise side to side, along the strongest axis.

This is the right idea.  It still won't be easy, but it is your best shot at getting the socket to release the connector.

I can't believe how hard some of these are to remove.  I've pulled the plastic "socket" off the motherboard before with the connector still attached leaving the bare pins still standing even.  Thankfully in all the cases that has happened (and yes, this has happened more than once) the pins have all been straight and you can still slide the plastic socket piece back down over the pins.

• 2 months later...
On 2/7/2019 at 7:37 AM, J R0 said:

just ran into this same issue.  USB 3.0 connector is a nightmare.  i, too, had a cheap case and i suppose a cheap front panel USB 3 header to go with it.  looked pretty standard to me.  wanted to swap in a USB panel with more connections so needed to unplug the case port.  i pulled and wriggled, i wiggled and yanked, i jimmied back and forth for damn near 30 minutes and made no progress so i ended up here.  i found very little help but at least got some assurrance i wasn't doing something stupid.  i jammed a pocket knife between the MOBO receptacle and the plug and bent the housing's plastic outwards so there was no way any of the plastic tabs were holding it and... thing was still stuck.  come on! 

i ended up just pulling harder and harder until the damn thing broke, and completely regretted having started messing with the infernal thing at all.  the header from the front panel of the case ripped apart, leaving the majority of itself still hopelessly jammed into the MOBO socket, only now there was nothing to grab ahold of.  now the thing i was trying to avoid, removing the MOBO, was absolutely required to have any hope of digging the hunk of cement-like plastic out and leaving a useable MOBO receptacle.  i was ultimately able to do it, and plugged in my new front panel USB connectors.  whoopity-doo!  instructions for install were so simple, like literally unplug one, plug in the other.  but WHY DID IT TAKE HOURS?? 

Like this one? That freaking thing stuck there forever. 

E69393CF-9A1E-42E8-96EC-65C3334BE953.jpeg

• 7 months later...
On 4/18/2019 at 2:32 PM, Batuhan Apatay said:

Like this one? That freaking thing stuck there forever. 

E69393CF-9A1E-42E8-96EC-65C3334BE953.jpeg

so what did you do samething happened to me

Pretty sure that's sort of similar to a Displayport cable locking mechanism just much more dumb.

Try pressing the sides with your fingers while wiggling.  I never had a problem removing those old USB 3.0 connectors.

18 hours ago, Falkentyne said:

Pretty sure that's sort of similar to a Displayport cable locking mechanism just much more dumb.

Try pressing the sides with your fingers while wiggling.  I never had a problem removing those old USB 3.0 connectors.

Ok will try when i get home anyother suggestions of this doesnt work

Update: did not work trying needle nose pliers but its just shredding the plastic and not coming out

image.jpg

So, given that I'm pretty soon going to be sticking a bunch of USB 3.0 headers into my motherboard soon, is there any part of the socket I should file or shave off before I start, so I don't need to repeat the OP's method of removal? 

40 minutes ago, Harry Voyager said:

So, given that I'm pretty soon going to be sticking a bunch of USB 3.0 headers into my motherboard soon, is there any part of the socket I should file or shave off before I start, so I don't need to repeat the OP's method of removal? 

Just plug it in last and have ur cable management preset i guess 

• 1 month later...
On 12/5/2019 at 1:21 AM, Harry Voyager said:

That is exactly what I did. There are little two teeth on each side of the socket. I simply cut them off. There are 4 teeth in my USB 3 header on mobo which trapps all 4 of them. 

I had a cheap Chinese Cable/Adapter USB 3.0 Header to USB 2.0. Male Header.  And it got too hot and I manage to remove it before it melted into my Gigabyte AB350 Gaming 3 Motherboard's USB 3.0 Header.  I took my time and slowly went left and right and it came out.  Lucky the shielding around the header was melting not the header itself.  Just take your time don't force it too much it will break off.

"Whatever happens, happens." - Spike Spiegel

• 3 months later...

I had the same issue and read the comments and didn't see an accurate solution posted. I have figured it out thanks to NZXT customer service.

My USB 3.0 cable had become separated like yours, leaving the blue piece stuck in the motherboard's plastic USB 3.0 pin shroud.

The solution is to get something like pliers or needle nose pliers that give enough grip to grab a hold of the plastic shroud that is over the USB 3.0 pins. You can grab the plastic shroud with the pliers and slowly pull it STRAIGHT off the motherboard. It is just a plastic shroud that goes over the motherboard pins. Removing the plastic shroud will not damage the pins attached to the motherboard as long as you pull it off straight. Once this is off, you can separate the blue piece from the motherboard plastic shroud much easier. Then (the tedious part) slip the shroud back over the pins onto the motherboard.

You will need a replacement USB 3.0 cable because the blue plastic piece came off but that's no big deal. Your motherboard is safe!

Hope this helps someone out there that is panicking like I was.

• 2 weeks later...
On 5/4/2020 at 3:53 PM, dannybenson27 said:

I had the same issue and read the comments and didn't see an accurate solution posted. I have figured it out thanks to NZXT customer service.

My USB 3.0 cable had become separated like yours, leaving the blue piece stuck in the motherboard's plastic USB 3.0 pin shroud.

The solution is to get something like pliers or needle nose pliers that give enough grip to grab a hold of the plastic shroud that is over the USB 3.0 pins. You can grab the plastic shroud with the pliers and slowly pull it STRAIGHT off the motherboard. It is just a plastic shroud that goes over the motherboard pins. Removing the plastic shroud will not damage the pins attached to the motherboard as long as you pull it off straight. Once this is off, you can separate the blue piece from the motherboard plastic shroud much easier. Then (the tedious part) slip the shroud back over the pins onto the motherboard.

You will need a replacement USB 3.0 cable because the blue plastic piece came off but that's no big deal. Your motherboard is safe!

Hope this helps someone out there that is panicking like I was.

Hi, 

I got the exactly the same issue here.. could you please explain what do you mean by plastic shroud? You mean pull off the plastic part that mount on motherboard is fine as long as you pull it straight out and it won't damage the motherboard? Thanks for your advises.

• 8 months later...

Same problem here. I had a little  latch in the middle of  one of the long sides that I had to press in,  to finally be able to remove it.

• 1 year later...

Had the same problem and one of the tips here helped me get it out. So to thank you guys and add to the advice I made a Linus account.

Heres how you do it:

- The key is pulling the usb header STRAIGHT out (yeah I thought I was pulling it straight but it was bended slightly to the back the whole time I was trying...)

- The connecter has 4 indentations that line up with the teeth on the motherboard connector. These provide quite the gripping power. These are on both the back and front side so that why you really need to pull it STRAIGHT.

- Use a pryer or screwdriver to help push the connector out by prying the center cut out (the cutout is in the mobo connector). Once you gain a little gap in between the connector and the mobo connector, use this to wedge your miniature pryer or screwdriver into and 'push' the usb connector out whilst pulling on it with your other hand.

- You can try wiggling it from left to right but this didn't really make much of a difference for me. But try it anyways! 

Ok good luck my fellow usb 3.0 brethern, may the force be with you.