[Budget Build] Pentium G3258, AMD x4 860K, or FX 4350?

Embattled
Go to solution Solved by iHardware Shelden,

This is the same bundle I went with and I could not be happier, kicked my old i3 rigs ass in terms on gaming, then when you want move to Intel down the road when you can afford a good board and an i5 :)

WStjP5m.png

I built my rig for $350, 650 ti Boost and FX 6300 bundle with that motherboard. He has plenty of $ to get a GPU if he goes to microcenter, not if he goes with an i3.

Is this promotion still going? And a lot of people don't have the time to drive to microcenter. Or have one even close. 

5800X3D - RTX 4070 - 2K @ 165Hz

This is the same bundle I went with and I could not be happier, kicked my old i3 rigs ass in terms on gaming, then when you want move to Intel down the road when you can afford a good board and an i5 :)

WStjP5m.png

Thanks! This bundle keeps me well within my price range and kicks both the pentiums and the i3 in the rear. 

You FX users lol...

Free to play games are SUPER popular...

YET...

I see many F2P games not being threaded over more than two cores, suffering a great deal with fps drops to sub30fps from 60fps, in an instant, then back up n down at FREQUENT random intervals.. like its super #ucking annoying to see and deal with (Input latency/frametimes)

Those frametime graphs... HILARIOUSLY BAD.

This is on my Mums FX 6300, paired with either my mums 260x or my 290/290x/GTX970 (I've put them all in there for the purpose to see GPU usage) It was HILARIOUSLY BAD.

/But I forgot... it doesn't bottleneck....cos you FX users have played ALL games and have said it wont.

I don't know what you are talking about. I am able to play GTA V High settings at over 70 FPS, all of the games he plans on playing I have and have run test on all of them. Never went below 60fps at 1080p at Medium to high settings. I don't know how you got such bad frame rates but I'm living the dream I guess or people have been making it seem like AMDs platform is shit. I think it is funny as hell that the FX 6300 is competing with the Hasewell i3 at this price point and is almost 4 years older than it, plus you can get a mobo that overclocks for the same price as the lowest end i3. Only plus the i3 has is better single core performance and better upgrade path if he used the same mobo.

A shadowy flight into the dangerous world of a man who does not exist.

Core 4 Quad Not Extreme, only available on LGA 557 at your local Circuit City

Is this promotion still going? And a lot of people don't have the time to drive to microcenter. Or have one even close. 

They don't have the 650 ti for sale anymore but you can get a 760 for $145 refurbished :)

As someone who has a second gen i3, go with the pentium. If he really wants to play Triple A titles, I'd suggest an i3  at a minimum for now. In a few years (like.. 4) he can upgrade to an i5 for about the same price without swapping out the board and possibly RAM. Thats what my next upgrade is, instead of getting a Haswell i3 for a moderate gain, I'm getting a Sandy Bridge for the price of a Haswell i3 but performs way better, and is a true quad core.

I still pay the same price give or take, but I can have part of my cake now, and in a few years, pick up a used i5/i7 for half the price.

Now, if you want, gimme a few weeks and I can sell you a Sandy Bridge i3, if you can pick up an 1155 board and a decent GPU, your pretty set. CPU+board for about $100, not bad. Used CPUs on budget builds are really your best bet. Another option of course is to pick up a SB i5 off Ebay for around $130 which should be more than enough if you pair it with a good AMD card like what I'm doing. The problem there of course is finding a decent LGA 1155 board.

I don't know what you are talking about. I am able to play GTA V High settings at over 70 FPS, all of the games he plans on playing I have and have run test on all of them. Never went below 60fps at 1080p at Medium to high settings. I don't know how you got such bad frame rates but I'm living the dream I guess or people have been making it seem like AMDs platform is shit. I think it is funny as hell that the FX 6300 is competing with the Hasewell i3 at this price point and is almost 4 years older than it, plus you can get a mobo that overclocks for the same price as the lowest end i3. Only plus the i3 has is better single core performance and better upgrade path if he used the same mobo.

Frametimes are bad cos I'm talking about games that people play that they get for free on a budget "I have no cash for games" FX machine, so I'll go on steam and get all the F2P's, and these lighter threaded titles perform NOT up to standard expectation of performance you get in other games.

I wasn't mentioning trippleA titles because they do handle it better, but no1 EVER mentions the lighter titles.

So I bring it up, cos its quite ridiculous how bad it can be.

Lighter titles,...1-2 cores @ 60-85% while the rest are dormant @ 0-10%,...showing FPS in the corner,...

Updating once per second, (speculated example) seeing FPS of 60/58/60/23/24/58/56/22/25/50/58/60/22/25/30/60

Those drops to low numbers, are SUPER SUPER noticeable cos they happen in an instant and are felt easily by my adaptive mind.

Kills immersion, inputs during those frames are not as accurate, and I see severe stutter for that second, with a powerhouse GPU, I should not see it at all.

Maximums - Asus Z97-K /w i5 4690 Bclk @106.9Mhz * x39 = 4.17Ghz, 8GB of 2600Mhz DDR3,.. Gigabyte GTX970 G1-Gaming @ 1550Mhz

They don't have the 650 ti for sale anymore but you can get a 760 for $145 refurbished :)

And $130-$150 new.

5800X3D - RTX 4070 - 2K @ 165Hz

Thanks! This bundle keeps me well within my price range and kicks both the pentiums and the i3 in the rear. 

It is an amazing deal and you wont be sorry, trust me :D

Frametimes are bad cos I'm talking about games that people play that they get for free on a budget "I have no cash for games" FX machine, and these lighter threaded titles perform NOT up to standard.

I wasn't mentioning trippleA titles because they do handle it better, but no1 EVER mentions the lighter titles.

So I bring it up.

I get your point now, sorry about my rant  :wacko:

And $130-$150 new.

Damn, is is really that cheap now  :huh:

As someone who has a second gen i3, go with the pentium. If he really wants to play Triple A titles, I'd suggest an i3  at a minimum for now. In a few years (like.. 4) he can upgrade to an i5 for about the same price without swapping out the board and possibly RAM. Thats what my next upgrade is, instead of getting a Haswell i3 for a moderate gain, I'm getting a Sandy Bridge for the price of a Haswell i3 but performs way better, and is a true quad core.

I still pay the same price give or take, but I can have part of my cake now, and in a few years, pick up a used i5/i7 for half the price.

Now, if you want, gimme a few weeks and I can sell you a Sandy Bridge i3, if you can pick up an 1155 board and a decent GPU, your pretty set. CPU+board for about $100, not bad. Used CPUs on budget builds are really your best bet. Another option of course is to pick up a SB i5 off Ebay for around $130 which should be more than enough if you pair it with a good AMD card like what I'm doing. The problem there of course is finding a decent LGA 1155 board.

I considered this too though but around 2 years down the line when he wants to upgrade the lga 1550 socket will be dead with the arrival of skylake and Z107. By that time it would probs be best just to buy a new mobo+cpu from intel or AMD if they manage to catch up with Zen. 

I'd get the 270 over the 750ti, it does perform better and should be the same price if not cheaper.  Don;t go the 270X, it's not worth the extra and you should be able to OC the 270 to 270x levels.  Also going to the Intel route gives you the option to upgrade later if your friend comes into money.  Where as the AMD route will essentially limit you to whatever you get now.  (this is the future proofing people don't think is real).

Grammar and spelling is not indicative of intelligence/knowledge.  Not having the same opinion does not always mean lack of understanding.  

I'd get the 270 over the 750ti, it does perform better and should be the same price if not cheaper.  Don;t go the 270X, it's not worth the extra and you should be able to OC the 270 to 270x levels.  Also going to the Intel route gives you the option to upgrade later if your friend comes into money.  Where as the AMD route will essentially limit you to whatever you get now.  (this is the future proofing people don't think is real).

I found a ton of 280x models on ebay for around $150, same as the 270x was going to be :D

So it looks like it's going to be a fx6000 and a 280x.

I considered this too though but around 2 years down the line when he wants to upgrade the lga 1550 socket will be dead with the arrival of skylake and Z107. By that time it would probs be best just to buy a new mobo+cpu from intel or AMD if they manage to catch up with Zen. 

How so? is my LGA 1155 socket dead? yes... kinda. I got an i3 for about the same price as current i3s go. I can buy a SB i5 for the same price as a current i3, but aside from single core apps, the SB i5 will beat a Haswell i3 any day of the week. The AM3+ socket IS dead right now, and offers very little in the way of upgrading. Like I said, with the Pentium/i3 setup, he can upgrade 4 years down the road for about the same price in total, but have 2 chips, and have something now. The AM3? not so much. And right now the i5 4690 beats out the FX 9590 in just about every way.

If it wasnt for the bloody aweful decision of my GPU at the time (GTX 460) I'd only have 2 upgrades in 4 years, that being RAM and CPU. I expect a SB i5 to hold up for at least 4 more years, paired with a decent AMD GPU. Not bad for 8 years worth of use.