[Budget Build] Pentium G3258, AMD x4 860K, or FX 4350?

Embattled
Go to solution Solved by iHardware Shelden,

This is the same bundle I went with and I could not be happier, kicked my old i3 rigs ass in terms on gaming, then when you want move to Intel down the road when you can afford a good board and an i5 :)

WStjP5m.png

I heard that the 950 was going to be a cut down 960?

And yeah the original/current plan is to get a 270x :)

still rumors thou but should be similar to 750Ti in performance

Budget? Uses? Currency? Location? Operating System? Peripherals? Monitor? Use PCPartPicker wherever possible. 

Quote whom you're replying to, and set option to follow your topics. Or Else we can't see your reply.

i3>Pentium, but I'd probably try and save a wee bit more and get an i5 as you'd be set for a few years.   

I'm Batman!

Steam: Rukiri89 | uPlay: Rukiri89 | Origin: XxRukiriXx | Xbox LIVE: XxRUKIRIxX89 | PSN: Ericks1989 | Nintendo Network ID: Rukiri

Project Xenos: Motherboard: MSI Z170a M9 ACK | CPU: i7 6700k | Ram: G.Skil TridentZ 16GB 3000mhz | PSU: EVGA SuperNova 850w G2 | Case: Caselabs SMA8 | Cooling: Custom Loop | Still in progress 

Seriously, i recommend searching through local classifieds or Craigslist for cheaper parts......

CPU: Intel Core i3-4130 3.4GHz Dual-Core Processor  ($113.99 @ SuperBiiz) 
Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-H81M-S1 Micro ATX LGA1150 Motherboard  ($39.99 @ SuperBiiz) 
Total: $294.95
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2015-07-22 00:26 EDT-0400
Go to ebay, craigslist, classifieds for a used 7850/7870 as they cost around 50-100. 

Probs going to base the final build off of this, just wondering tho why this particular mobo/chip set instead of a cheaper H81 ~$45 one?

Probs going to base the final build off of this, just wondering tho why this particular mobo/chip set instead of a cheaper H81 ~$45 one?

Due to board compatibility with haswell refresh cpus, not all boards have the latest BIOS that support refresh cpus. 

Well if you want to play modern triple A titles then a G3250 won't cut it.

Here's the thing: the Athlon 860K and FX-4350 both have a poor upgrade path, but will provide more satisfactory performance in demanding titles, since two threads just isn't enough for modern games. Any modern games that do launch on the G3258 are usually quite stuttery, so it's not too enjoyable...

I would really encourage you to try and stretch for an i3-4xxx, the performance difference is significant.

Intel i5-4690K @ 3.8GHz || Gigabyte Z97X-SLI || 8GB G.Skill Ripjaws X 1600MHz || Asus GTX 760 2GB @ 1150 / 6400 || 128GB A-Data SX900 + 1TB Toshiba 7200RPM || Corsair RM650 || Fractal 3500W

What about that new A8 chip or whatever it is that reviews are saying is better than the i3?

A shadowy flight into the dangerous world of a man who does not exist.

Core 4 Quad Not Extreme, only available on LGA 557 at your local Circuit City

Are you going the microcenter route?

Ya if he goes there he could get the FX 6300 motherboard bundle for $100, it would be a perfect option I think.  :P

What about that new A8 chip or whatever it is that reviews are saying is better than the i3?

Still not good enough to get good FPS (60+) with a Decent GPU as the CPU will still limit the overall min/avg FPS you'll get from the game engine itself..regardless of GPU used, the CPU is a slouch, esp when aiming for 60fps in all titles with a new GPU that itself is capable of, the CPU won't hold up.

AMD X4 Quad /w R9-280x VS Intel i3 /w R9-280x

GTA5 - 1080p Same settings used.... 34fps VS 72fps

Pretty night and day difference.... Not saying he can get the i3 now, that may not be in the budget, but when he actually puts a good CPU in there, it WONT be a limiting factor.

Maximums - Asus Z97-K /w i5 4690 Bclk @106.9Mhz * x39 = 4.17Ghz, 8GB of 2600Mhz DDR3,.. Gigabyte GTX970 G1-Gaming @ 1550Mhz

Ya if he goes there he could get the FX 6300 motherboard bundle for $100, it would be a perfect option I think.  :P

Exactly. If he goes microcenter, the fx6300 + mobo would be the about same price as the intel aniversery + mobo. It has to be said that the g3258 is only really useable in gaming if it's oced really hard. So be prepared to budget in a cooler.

Exactly. If he goes microcenter, the fx6300 + mobo would be the about same price as the intel aniversery + mobo. It has to be said that the g3258 is only really useable in gaming if it's oced really hard. So be prepared to budget in a cooler.

Yea I have that bundle with my 650 ti Boost and I can play GTA V at medium settings at just over 60fps, great deal for what it is and a much better option than even an i3 if not planning on upgrading in the near future. (Also he can overclock if he wants, got mine stable at 4.5Ghz on a Hyper T4  ^_^

Yea I have that bundle with my 650 ti Boost and I can play GTA V at medium settings at just over 60fps, great deal for what it is and a much better option than even an i3 if not planning on upgrading in the near future. (Also he can overclock if he wants, got mine stable at 4.5Ghz on a Hyper T4  ^_^

Well I'm not sure if it'll be as strong as an i3 with out a proper overclock. That i3 is a great processor as well, but it eats up a lot of budget. I'm a bit out of the loop in terms of gpu pricing. But basically the way i see it, If you save $50 between the cpu+mobo, that might be enough to push you one or two brackets up in terms of gpu budget. Also, I don't really like overclocking other peoples hardware, too troublesome to stress test and maintain!

Well I'm not sure if it'll be as strong as an i3 with out a proper overclock. That i3 is a great processor as well, but it eats up a lot of budget. I'm a bit out of the loop in terms of gpu pricing. But basically the way i see it, If you save $50 between the cpu+mobo, that might be enough to push you one or two brackets up in terms of gpu budget. Also, I don't really like overclocking other peoples hardware, too troublesome to stress test and maintain!

Oh I agree, I just think the FX 6300 is an extremely under rated chip for what it is, especially if you think about how it is a 2011 chip competing with a 2014 chip ;)

I just messed with some settings in GTA V and was able to bump the graphics up even more, got everything running still 60+ FPS with everything on High (Technically Medium in GTA terms) i'm personally blown away by that especially since I didn't intend on building this computer for gaming nore did I think it was really capable lol

from these 3 the pentium seem the best, but at this point in time, I don't recommend going with a dual core two thread cpu. I'd say go with at least an i3 (or equivalent) now or wait.

Why? 3+ years old architecture with minimal upgrade path? Not even once...

At this price, any upgrade on the intel side may cause motherboard power delivery issues. 

5800X3D - RTX 4070 - 2K @ 165Hz

Yeah I live right near one. They have a bundle like this?

Yep, FX 6300 + Gigabyte 78LMT-USB for just over $100

At this price, any upgrade on the intel side may cause motherboard power delivery issues. 

I have NEVER once heard of that happening on the Intel side of things. EVER. (But I'm not buying potato boards either, I have a min of $60 for a board, even with naked vrm's they have NO issues with i7's, overclocked or not.)

I've been doing this for many years too, and your post surprised me, cos its never happened ONCE to me, and I build Intel rigs more than AMD ones.

Maximums - Asus Z97-K /w i5 4690 Bclk @106.9Mhz * x39 = 4.17Ghz, 8GB of 2600Mhz DDR3,.. Gigabyte GTX970 G1-Gaming @ 1550Mhz

This is the same bundle I went with and I could not be happier, kicked my old i3 rigs ass in terms on gaming, then when you want move to Intel down the road when you can afford a good board and an i5 :)

WStjP5m.png

I have NEVER once heard of that happening on the Intel side of things. EVER. (But I'm not buying potato boards either, I have a min of $60 for a board, even with naked vrm's they have NO issues with i7's, overclocked or not.)

I've been doing this for many years too, and your post surprised me, cos its never happened ONCE to me, and I build Intel rigs more than AMD ones.

Here it is not really feasible to build a computer at this price. And if you want a quad thread CPU, you are going to have to go with a $30 motherboard. Which I would expect blown caps in the near future from. (Especially since the i3 uses around 35W at max, while a stock i7 will use around 55W)

If it was that 2nd gen i3, then that makes sense. But today a 4th gen i3 will kick an 8350s ass. 

If it was that 2nd gen i3, then that makes sense. But today a 4th gen i3 will kick an 8350s ass. 

Yea it was a second gen, and I agree but in his case if he goes with this bundle now he wont be sorry, I think he would be better off saving for skylake, Zen or something and sticking with this amazing deal until then. The FX 6300 vs i3 in terms of games are very close and I don't think worth the $toFPS ratio right now :)

Yea it was a second gen, and I agree but in his case if he goes with this bundle now he wont be sorry, I think he would be better off saving for skylake, Zen or something and sticking with this amazing deal until then. The FX 6300 vs i3 in terms of games are very close and I don't think worth the $toFPS ratio right now :)

At this price point, a GPU might not exist. And the i3 has a better iGPU. 

And in those CPU bound games, the i3 will do better. 

You FX users lol... Free to play games are SUPER popular...yes..they are!

YET...

I see many F2P games not being threaded over more than two cores, suffering a great deal with fps drops to sub30fps from 60fps, in an instant, then back up n down at FREQUENT random intervals.. like its super #ucking annoying to see and deal with (Input latency/frametimes)

Those frametimes... HILARIOUS

This is on my Mums FX 6300, paired with either my mums 260x or my 290/290x/GTX970

(I've put them all in there for the purpose to see GPU usage)

/But I forgot... it doesn't bottleneck....cos you FX users have played ALL games and have said it wont.

Its NOT about the average FPS you get.

It's the sudden drops for NO reason, other than the CPU is a piece of shit when running the game with just 2 cores, and can't keep up with the GPU.  You could say its not FX, but software,...

AMD is at fault for using a CPU design that fails in single core IPC, they know how SOFTWARE works, esp Games, they KNOW that only a primary core is feeding the GPU under DX11, and they KNOW that their CPU's would be suffering, they test them over all instances before WE get them, just like CPU+GPU combo's, they have better than we have, and SHOULD have known better.

Lol @ Spend more on the GPU by buying an FX... (And limit your new GPU cos of your shit CPU in SOME games)

At this price point, a GPU might not exist. And the i3 has a better iGPU. 

And in those CPU bound games, the i3 will do better. 

I built my rig for $350, 650 ti Boost and FX 6300 bundle with that motherboard. He has plenty of $ to get a GPU if he goes to microcenter, not if he goes with an i3.