So this is what happens when you put an R9 290 in a 7 year old build

Lotus

post-128044-0-62622700-1437532837.jpg

Link: http://www.3dmark.com/3dm/7846942?

My old specs are in my profile (i7-920, R9 270) and I'm in the process of upgrading my rig to an i7-4770k and an R9 290. I popped in the R9 290 into my old x58 rig to see how it holds up and I'm kind of regretting spending all this money upgrading my build since it looks like I didn't need any extra performance. I'm not sure why it's reading my GPU as an R9 390, but I guess it makes sense seeing as the 390 is a re-brand.

post-128044-0-62622700-1437532837.jpg

It's a refresh not a rebrand. The performance of each 300 series is better then the old ones.

i7-6700k  Cooling: Deepcool Captain 240EX White GPU: GTX 1080Ti EVGA FTW3 Mobo: AsRock Z170 Extreme4 Case: Phanteks P400s TG Special Black/White PSU: EVGA 850w GQ Ram: 64GB (3200Mhz 16x4 Corsair Vengeance RGB) Storage 1x 1TB Seagate Barracuda 240GBSandisk SSDPlus, 480GB OCZ Trion 150, 1TB Crucial NVMe
(Rest of Specs on Profile)

...Huh?

RADEON is evolving!

*shing* sparkle sparkle

stock cooler fan noise

Congratulations! Your RADEON evolved into REFRESHEON!

refresh*

It's a refresh not a rebrand. The performance of each 300 series is better then the old ones.

but I guess it makes sense seeing as the 390 is a re-brand.

Uh-Oh here we goooooooooooooooo

My Rigs:

Gaming/CAD/Rendering Rig
Case:
 Corsair Air 240 , CPU: i7-4790K, Mobo: ASUS Gryphon Z97 mATX,  GPU: Gigabyte G1 Gaming GTX 970, RAM: G.Skill Sniper 16GB, SSD: SAMSUNG 1TB 840 EVO, Cooling: Corsair H80i PCPP: https://au.pcpartpicker.com/b/f2TH99SFF HTPC
Case:
Silverstone ML06B, CPU: Pentium G3258, Mobo: Gigabyte GA-H97N-WiFi, RAM: G.Skill 4GB, SSD: Kingston SSDNow 120GB PCPP: https://au.pcpartpicker.com/b/JmZ8TW

Uh-Oh here we goooooooooooooooo

here we go what? It's not fanboying or anything it's cold hard facts that some people just can't face.

i7-6700k  Cooling: Deepcool Captain 240EX White GPU: GTX 1080Ti EVGA FTW3 Mobo: AsRock Z170 Extreme4 Case: Phanteks P400s TG Special Black/White PSU: EVGA 850w GQ Ram: 64GB (3200Mhz 16x4 Corsair Vengeance RGB) Storage 1x 1TB Seagate Barracuda 240GBSandisk SSDPlus, 480GB OCZ Trion 150, 1TB Crucial NVMe

Don't feel too bad about "wasting" your money, it will pay off in the future, now that you have a much more modern motherboard :)

I misread the title as a R9 390 given to a 7 year old ... I was expecting that ... Oh well ...

... Life is a game and the checkpoints are your birthday , you will face challenges where you may not get rewarded afterwords but those are the challenges that help you improve yourself . Always live for tomorrow because you may never know when your game will be over ... I'm totally not going insane in anyway , shape or form ... I just have broken English and an open mind ... 

here we go what? It's not fanboying or anything it's cold hard facts that some people just can't face.

are you kidding me? nvidia not only refresh, but simply REBRANDED their low end like 4 times. when they do it its funny, when amd does it they are the devil.

get it. cause red team? and hot? 

Oh wow... nice.

"Epic Voice, Quality Content"

are you kidding me? nvidia not only refresh, but simply REBRANDED their low end like 4 times. when they do it its funny, when amd does it they are the devil.

get it. cause red team? and hot?

AMD "rebrands" a card makes tons of improvements, fixes tons of temperature issues, and I think the Power usage is lower and people complain. I understand, Nvidia does it and it's oh well blah blah blah. AMD took the time to refresh it while Nvidia didn't and they are worth 10 times more then AMD. I personally getting a Nvidia card since the 980ti is beating the fury x but if AMD can pull ahead with HBM 2 and Nvidia pascal just isn't as good I will for sure get AMD.

and behold! With the new CPU I get....

http://www.3dmark.com/fs/5484547

t8vzno.jpg

....yay?
GPU isn't as highly overclocked as before, but even just looking at the physics benchmark, my new i7-4770k at 4.4 GHz only did 23% better.than my i7-920 at 3.94 GHz...

I gotta say, I'm pretty disappointed...

~snip~

It's not like that the i7 920 is a horrible chip. And these are just synthetic benchmarks, so I'm sure that actual gaming experience will be better.

It's not like that the i7 920 is a horrible chip. And these are just synthetic benchmarks, so I'm sure that actual gaming experience will be better.

I just expected that a chip 7 years newer would beat it handily, not, you know, kind of do a bit better. Moore's law. Things are supposed to be twice as good every 5 years, not 25% better in 7... I mean yeah I'm comparing a professional grade CPU to a consumer grade CPU, but the price tags on both at introduction were around $330 so I don't think it's that unfair. I do have a 144hz monitor so it should matter. I'm just regretting jumping the gun and not waiting longer because it's looking like there really was no pressing need to upgrade.

I just expected that a chip 7 years newer would beat it handily, not, you know, kind of do a bit better. Moore's law. Things are supposed to be twice as good every 5 years, not 25% better in 7... I mean yeah I'm comparing a professional grade CPU to a consumer grade CPU, but the price tags on both at introduction were around $330 so I don't think it's that unfair. I do have a 144hz monitor so it should matter. I'm just regretting jumping the gun and not waiting longer because it's looking like there really was no pressing need to upgrade.

Hey, at least you won't have to upgrade for years to come. :P