Windows 10 free upgrade licensing transfer?

BigBig5

Controversy Windows 10 free upgrade licensing transfer is all over the web. Microsoft hasn't really said anything about it. If I have a retail copy of Windows will the Windows 10 free upgrade be a retail copy? If so can I install it on a new computer/hardware?

Windows 10 FAQ: Can I reinstall Windows 10 on my computer after upgrading?

Once you’ve upgraded to Windows 10 using the free upgrade offer, you will be able to reinstall, including a clean install, on the same device. You won’t need to purchase Windows 10 or go back to your prior version of Windows and upgrade again.

CPU: AMD Ryzan 7 7800X3D  Mobo: ROG Strix B650E-F Gaming WiFi   RAM: 32 GB(2x16GB) G.Skill Flare X6 EXPO@ 6000MHz  GPU: ASRock Phantom Gaming OC Edition AMD Radeon RX 7900 XT
Case: Lian Li O11 Air Mini  PSU: Corsair RM1000e  SSD: Team Group MP34 4TB PCIe 4 NVME, Mushkin REACTOR 960GB, Patriot Torch LE 960GB  Cooling: Thermalright Phantom Spirit 120 SE (PS120SE) with Thermal Grizzly Kryonau & 9x Thermalright TL-C12 PRO 120mm

Controversy Windows 10 free upgrade licensing transfer is all over the web. Microsoft hasn't really said anything about it. If I have a retail copy of Windows will the Windows 10 free upgrade be a retail copy? If so can I install it on a new computer/hardware?

you should be able to, it is just an update, not a new download in full, your code will work with a future ISO microsoft says will be released on the 29th, so you can just enter the retail code into the windows 10 ISO on the new computer, and it should work, according to a friend of mine who is a dev at microsoft.

Well Windows 10 upgrade is officially out. Can you transfer the Windows 10 upgrade to a new hardware or computer if you had Windows 8.1/7 retail version.

CPU: AMD Ryzan 7 7800X3D  Mobo: ROG Strix B650E-F Gaming WiFi   RAM: 32 GB(2x16GB) G.Skill Flare X6 EXPO@ 6000MHz  GPU: ASRock Phantom Gaming OC Edition AMD Radeon RX 7900 XT
Case: Lian Li O11 Air Mini  PSU: Corsair RM1000e  SSD: Team Group MP34 4TB PCIe 4 NVME, Mushkin REACTOR 960GB, Patriot Torch LE 960GB  Cooling: Thermalright Phantom Spirit 120 SE (PS120SE) with Thermal Grizzly Kryonau & 9x Thermalright TL-C12 PRO 120mm

you should be able to, it is just an update, not a new download in full, your code will work with a future ISO microsoft says will be released on the 29th, so you can just enter the retail code into the windows 10 ISO on the new computer, and it should work, according to a friend of mine who is a dev at microsoft.

According to this you can use your 7/8.1 key with the Windows 10 ISO and it will work? Doesn't say anything about upgrading first

http://www.windowscentral.com/official-windows-10-iso-files-now-available-download

• 5 weeks later...

Hope this isn't classed as necroing, I just dont want to open another thread reference the transfer/fresh install of windows 10 because there are several others that end about the end of july.

A quick questions who people that have already tried this, not the ones that theoretically know. I haven't but i will have the opportunity to transfer my win8 that was upgraded to win10 from my laptop (pre-installed) to my fresh rig, by ringing microsoft and explaining the situation. Hopefully i wont get any aggro and it will work. Otherwise, do you think there is any other way?

Hope this isn't classed as necroing, I just dont want to open another thread reference the transfer/fresh install of windows 10 because there are several others that end about the end of july.

A quick questions who people that have already tried this, not the ones that theoretically know. I haven't but i will have the opportunity to transfer my win8 that was upgraded to win10 from my laptop (pre-installed) to my fresh rig, by ringing microsoft and explaining the situation. Hopefully i wont get any aggro and it will work. Otherwise, do you think there is any other way?

Upgrade activation is tied to hardware IDs of the Motherboard and CPU. It wont work. Experimented with it on both physical machines and VMs. There may be workarounds, but that starts getting into a gray area.

▶ Learn from yesterday, live for today, hope for tomorrow. The important thing is not to stop questioning. - Einstein◀

Please remember to mark a thread as solved if your issue has been fixed, it helps other who may stumble across the thread at a later point in time.