GTX980 Ti Questions

supraz61

Hi there,

I am currently in the process of building a new gaming rig. First off, I realize that a 980 Ti is overkill for 1080p 144Hz, I seek advice because I want to go really high end straight away so that the card can last me for a few years. What are your thoughts? Should I just go ahead an get the 980 Ti for the long run or maybe get a cheaper 970 or 980 and upgrade in the future?

for 1080p 144Hz it is not overkill, it is enough, I would say :) it would be overkill for 1080p 60Hz :) so get the 980Ti

if you can afford the 980Ti

i say go for it

then look to upgrade the display later

Budget? Uses? Currency? Location? Operating System? Peripherals? Monitor? Use PCPartPicker wherever possible. 

Quote whom you're replying to, and set option to follow your topics. Or Else we can't see your reply.

Hi there,

I am currently in the process of building a new gaming rig. First off, I realize that a 980 Ti is overkill for 1080p 144Hz, I seek advice because I want to go really high end straight away so that the card can last me for a few years. What are your thoughts? Should I just go ahead an get the 980 Ti for the long run or maybe get a cheaper 970 or 980 and upgrade in the future?

I think a R9 390x would be perfect for you, it trades blows with the 980, has 8GBs of vram, and is $430 USD. And if it isn't enough in a few years you can get another one to crossfire

PC is alive again! :System: CPU:Intel i5 4960k/ Motherboard:ASUS Gryphon Z97/ RAM: Kingston 16GB/ GPU: ASUS R9 Fury X/ Storage: 120gb Crucial SSD, 2TB Seagate SSHD/ PSU: Cooler Master 700w/ Displays: 1 Acer B276HK ymjdprz 27-inch 4K Ultra HD/1 ASUS 21.5 LCD LED 21.5 monitor

for 1080p 144Hz it is not overkill, it is enough, I would say :) it would be overkill for 1080p 60Hz :) so get the 980Ti

Meh, 144 fps is only really for competitive games, like LoL or CSGO, which don't even require a good card to reach 144 fps.  60 fps is good enough for RPG's.  I'd say save your money and get the 970 or a 290x.  Upgrade in the future when you aren't happy with the performance anymore.

Go for the 980 Ti, or for whatever reason you like AMD then go for a Fury X.

Black and green build, I call it "Murphy". - CPU: Intel i5 4690k at 3.5 GHz - GPU: Gigabyte G1 Gaming GTX 980 Ti - Motherboard: Gigabyte Z97X SOC Force - RAM: 8GB 1866 MHz Corsair Vengeance Pro (gold) - PSU: EVGA SuperNova 750 B2 - Storage: 240GB Corsair Force LE SSD & 1TB Western Digital Black HDD - Case: Corsair Carbide 300r - Lighting: 2 green Logisys LED sticks (currently removed)

Thanks for the help guys. Will probably go with the Ti but plenty of info to go with  :)

Custom 980Ti and you´re done for a while.

CPU i7 6700k MB  MSI Z170A Pro Carbon GPU Zotac GTX980Ti amp!extreme RAM 16GB DDR4 Corsair Vengeance 3k CASE Corsair 760T PSU Corsair RM750i MOUSE Logitech G9x KB Logitech G910 HS Sennheiser GSP 500 SC Asus Xonar 7.1 MONITOR Acer Predator xb270hu Storage 1x1TB + 2x500GB Samsung 7200U/m - 2x500GB SSD Samsung 850EVO

Just stay away from the reference cooled cards, they are not worth it for the money.

I was looking at getting the EVGA Superclocked 980Ti

I think a R9 390x would be perfect for you, it trades blows with the 980, has 8GBs of vram, and is $430 USD. And if it isn't enough in a few years you can get another one to crossfire

But you'll end up using ~100Watt more in average than with a 980 ti so I also suggest the ti! 

R9 390x - Avg. 368.32 W 

GTX 980 Ti - Avg. 254.22 W

But depends if you have to keep an eye on watt usage or not. But I think it really makes a difference if you can choose a card that uses ~100W. less than an other..

Greetings,

MicheleIT

Dive on In! - Roger

But you'll end up using ~100Watt more in average than with a 980 ti so I also suggest the ti! 

R9 390x - Avg. 368.32 W 

GTX 980 Ti - Avg. 254.22 W

But depends if you have to keep an eye on watt usage or not. But I think it really makes a difference if you can choose a card that uses ~100W. less than an other..

Greetings,

MicheleIT

Yes, but R9 390x is $200 cheaper, and with the $200 you save, you can get a good PSU. And a 980 TI is still overkill for 1080p even 144hz

PC is alive again! :System: CPU:Intel i5 4960k/ Motherboard:ASUS Gryphon Z97/ RAM: Kingston 16GB/ GPU: ASUS R9 Fury X/ Storage: 120gb Crucial SSD, 2TB Seagate SSHD/ PSU: Cooler Master 700w/ Displays: 1 Acer B276HK ymjdprz 27-inch 4K Ultra HD/1 ASUS 21.5 LCD LED 21.5 monitor

Yes, but R9 390x is $200 cheaper, and with the $200 you save, you can get a good PSU. And a 980 TI is still overkill for 1080p even 144hz

Also true.

Now you're in a Dilemma.

Spend 200$ less - get PSU (-200$) - more usage

Spend 200$ more - no need PSU(0$) - less usage.

My point is; in the end he still ends up spending the amount of 200$ for a psu or the gpu, . And be good. 

Rather than upgrading it later to crossfire.

So to make it more "easier" I would just buy the 980ti to save the hassle. :) 

Dive on In! - Roger

Also true.

Now you're in a Dilemma.

Spend 200$ less - get PSU (-200$) - more usage

Spend 200$ more - no need PSU(0$) - less usage.

My point is; in the end he still ends up spending the amount of 200$ for a psu or the gpu, . And be good. 

Rather than upgrading it later to crossfire.

So to make it more "easier" I would just buy the 980ti to save the hassle. :) 

He would still have to get a beefy PSU to get 2 980 TIs later

There's a little thing the manufactures do, they take the average power consumption of a whole batch of cards and measure it and call it TDP.

There's a little thing the manufactures do, they take the average power consumption of a whole batch of cards and measure it and call it TDP.

Oh,.. okay. didn't knew that.. Thanks for pointing that out 

Dive on In! - Roger