i7-4790 or K version

So, I'm almost done picking parts for a new computer, but, can't figure out which CPU to get. I won't overclock, but will need the power of an i7 which is why I decided to go with one. However, I'm not sure if I should go with 4790 or it's K brother. Since I barely see anyone with 4790 non K, I'm wondering if it's bad compared to the K version?

Anyway, hope you guys can help me out

PCPartpicker link: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/pmQqf7

So, I'm almost done picking parts for a new computer, but, can't figure out which CPU to get. I won't overclock, but will need the power of an i7 which is why I decided to go with one. However, I'm not sure if I should go with 4790 or it's K brother. Since I barely see anyone with 4790 non K, I'm wondering if it's bad compared to the K version?

If you are not overclockings its basically exactly the same CPU and performance as a 4790k

Desktop - Corsair 300r i7 4770k H100i MSI 780ti 16GB Vengeance Pro 2400mhz Crucial MX100 512gb Samsung Evo 250gb 2 TB WD Green, AOC Q2770PQU 1440p 27" monitor Laptop Clevo W110er - 11.6" 768p, i5 3230m, 650m GT 2gb, OCZ vertex 4 256gb,  4gb ram, Server: Fractal Define Mini, MSI Z78-G43, Intel G3220, 8GB Corsair Vengeance, 4x 3tb WD Reds in Raid 10, Phone Oppo Reno 10x 256gb , Camera Sony A7iii

Neither. If you're not overclocking, save your self some money and go with a Xeon E3 1231v3 or 1241v3

On par with a locked 4790 and cheaper 

CPU: Intel Xeon E3-1231 V3 3.4GHz Quad-Core Processor  ($242.99 @ SuperBiiz) 
Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-H97M-D3H Micro ATX LGA1150 Motherboard  ($82.99 @ Directron) 
Video Card: Gigabyte GeForce GTX 970 4GB WINDFORCE Video Card  ($353.99 @ NCIX US) 
Operating System: Microsoft Windows 8.1 OEM (64-bit)  ($0.00) 
Total: $859.43
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2015-07-20 10:07 EDT-0400

4790k no doubt.

Gpu: MSI 4G GTX 970 | Cpu: i5 4690k @4.6Ghz 1.23v | Cpu Cooler: Cryorig r1 ultimate | Ram: 1600mhz 2x8Gb corsair vengeance | Storage: sandisk ultra ii 128gb (os) 1TB WD Green | Psu: evga supernova g1 650watt | Case: fractal define s windowed |

4790k no doubt.

If hes not going to be overclocking, there is no reason to get the K...

No OC is no K, very simple.

Besides you can still OC non k cpu's, it's just harder to do, and you won't get good results because they are binned to work at the stock speeds.

To be honest i think you should get the K just because of the heat sink you are getting. I know you have no plans of overclocking right now but later down the line you might want to and with that heat sink you are able too. If it was me i would get the K.

You might find the K version is cheaper.

CPU: AMD 7800X3D Motherboard: NZXT B650E RAM: 32GB 5600 30-CL Corsair Vengeance DDR5 GPU: MSI Gaming X Trio RTX 2070 PSU: Corsair RM850i Monitor: Samsung 27" 4K thing Cooling:Noctua Chromax Black NH-D15: Case: NZXT H510 Black

To be honest i think you should get the K just because of the heat sink you are getting. I know you have no plans of overclocking right now but later down the line you might want to and with that heat sink you are able too. If it was me i would get the K.

This. I felt the same way when I bought my CPU and I now wished I had gone for a K series.

The answer to any question regarding 'k' versions or not.  Will you overclock:

Case Yes:

Then get the K version

Case No:

Get the non-K version

i would always get the K version,

you can change your mind even if you have no plans to OC its good to have the option.

Also its not much more money and you get the extra money back when you choose to resell.

CPU: Ryzen 7 5800x3D | MoBo: MSI MAG B550 Tomahawk | RAM: G.Skill F4-3600C15D-16GTZ @3800CL16 | GPU: RTX 2080Ti | PSU: Corsair HX1200 | 

Case: Lian Li 011D XL | Storage: Samsung 970 EVO M.2 NVMe 500GB, Crucial MX500 500GB | Soundcard: Soundblaster ZXR | Mouse: Razer Viper Mini | Keyboard: Razer Huntsman TE Monitor: DELL AW2521H @360Hz |

If you think the only difference between a non-K and a K version is overclocking, then you shouldn't be recommending pc parts to people.

3.5-3.9ghz boost for non k or 4-4.4ghz boost for k, the higher stock clocks alone are worth considering even without an overclock

3.5-3.9ghz boost for non k or 4-4.4ghz boost for k, the higher stock clocks alone are worth considering even without an overclock

i7 4790 boost up to 4GHz which is like a little overclock from Intel while i7 4790k boost up to 4.4GHz and both pretty much beats i7 4770 an i7 4770k.

So, I'd be better getting the K and then be able to overclock in the future when needed?

Even if you don't overclock, the K processor has an 11% higher clockspeed.

Even if you don't overclock, the K processor has an 11% higher clockspeed.

Plus free overclock to 4.4GHz so why not take it? Even i7 4770k fail to get to 4.3GHz, plus if you have an adequate water cooling you can get this i7 4790k runs at 4.7GHz.

First, what are you planning to do specifically which require the HT of the i7? Are you going to be video editing? Content creation?... etc. Anyway, I would suggest you to get the K version even if you don't plan to overclock right now, because later down the line, you definitely want to explore the processor's potentials and you would want to push it farther. Also, it REALLY adds to your experience with computers, so even if you won't plan to overclock, I would always recommend a K chip. (Assuming money isn't a big deal for you)

BRRRT!

PC

Spoiler
  • ASUS TUF GAMING B550M Plus
  • Ryzen 5 5600X undervolted
  • Gigabyte VISION OC RTX 3070 undervolted
  • 32GB Teamgroup Dark Alpha 3600 MHz CL18
  • Corsair TX750M
  • Fractal Design Meshify C Mini

Sim Equipment

Spoiler
  • Logitech Extreme 3D Pro & Thrustmaster TWCS Throttle