Samsung caught boosting benchmark performance numbers on Exynos device

qwertywarrior

ouch hahahahha

first it was intel doing this on its tablet cpus  and now its samsung :)

something u also might not know that some rom devs do this also to make their roms look better than others

http://www.engadget.com/2013/07/30/samsung-benchmarks/

If your grave doesn't say "rest in peace" on it You are automatically drafted into the skeleton war.

Why would they do that? Now nobody will buy their product because they will think that if they had to boost the benchmark scores, how bad is it actually going to be?

Hmm…maybe I will go with a Kingston SSD over a Samsung one out of respect.

well samsung didnt list the GPU clocks so they didnt really boost their OC

If your grave doesn't say "rest in peace" on it You are automatically drafted into the skeleton war.

well samsung didnt list the GPU clocks so they didnt really boost their OC

Bad business practices don't appeal to me. They'll lose business from me.

Come on Samsung if you want to cheat on benchmarks at least don't call it "BenchmarkBooster" on the code of the GS4... Learn how to cheat.

I thought the same thing….

i5 4670k | Sapphire 7950 | Kingston 120GB SSD | Seagate 1TB | G.Skill Ripjaw X Series 8GB

PB238Q | Steelseries Sensei | Ducky DK9087 | Qck Heavy

Build Log: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/44902-from-imac-to-my-own-creation/

Why would they do that? Now nobody will buy their product because they will think that if they had to boost the benchmark scores, how bad is it actually going to be?

Oh Sam, come on now, you really think people will stop buying Samsung products over a few numbers?

The only thing that matters is: $$$.

Oh Sam, come on now, you really think people will stop buying Samsung products over a few numbers?

The only thing that matters is: $$$.

The same goes for console gamers.

ouch hahahahha

first it was intel doing this on its tablet cpus  and now its samsung :)

something u also might not know that some rom devs do this also to make their roms look better than others

http://www.engadget.com/2013/07/30/samsung-benchmarks/

Actually they "optimise" both the Qualcomm and Exynos version by locking them at high frequencies on the CPU even at idle, in the menu of a benchmark app. But with the exynos they go one step further by allowing only benchmarks to reach a frequency which is completely unreachable by any app which which the phone is not specifically coded to recognise as a benchmark app.

You should read the Anandtech article they know their stuff way better. 

http://www.anandtech.com/show/7187/looking-at-cpugpu-benchmark-optimizations-galaxy-s-4

Actually they "optimise" both the Qualcomm and Exynos version by locking them at high frequencies on the CPU even at idle, in the menu of a benchmark app. But with the exynos they go one step further by allowing only benchmarks to reach a frequency which is completely unreachable by any app which which the phone is not specifically coded to recognise as a benchmark app.

You should read the Anandtech article they know their stuff way better. 

http://www.anandtech.com/show/7187/looking-at-cpugpu-benchmark-optimizations-galaxy-s-4

i did read it especially the "Digging Deeper" section

"AnTuTu, GLBenchmark 2.5.1 and Quadrant get fixed CPU frequencies and a 532MHz max GPU clock"

the string is even called "BenchmarkBooster" for crying out loud

if you added a game's name in that code you could run that game at 532MHz for example

this is a cheap trick done by samsung to get higher scores

its like saying intel will OC to 3ghz with this benchmark only but everything else it will run at 1ghz

i mean whats the point its ONLY made for higher scores

you will never be able to get these high performance clocks so whats the point of implementing them

i did read it especially the "Digging Deeper" section

"AnTuTu, GLBenchmark 2.5.1 and Quadrant get fixed CPU frequencies and a 532MHz max GPU clock"

the string is even called "BenchmarkBooster" for crying out loud

if you added a game's name in that code you could run that game at 532MHz for example

this is a cheap trick done by samsung to get higher scores

its like saying intel will OC to 3ghz with this benchmark only but everything else it will run at 1ghz

i mean whats the point its ONLY made for higher scores

you will never be able to get these high performance clocks so whats the point of implementing them

I have no doubt the chips can run stably at the higher frequencies with a sacrifice in battery life and perhaps a slightly more uncomfortable temperature. What would have been nice is if they allowed users to switch "performance profiles" in the developer settings sub menu which could allow any app to make the GPU run at 532MHz or capping it at lower than 480MHz for better battery life That would have been a nice feature for power users but as it stands it is way too obvious they are trying to game the results.

Also, how the hell did they not expect us to figure it out if the code was so easily found and so clearly labelled? That's a stupid move...

I have no doubt the chips can run stably at the higher frequencies with a sacrifice in battery life and perhaps a slightly more uncomfortable temperature. What would have been nice is if they allowed users to switch "performance profiles" in the developer settings sub menu which could allow any app to make the GPU run at 532MHz or capping it at lower than 480MHz for better battery life That would have been a nice feature for power users but as it stands it is way too obvious they are trying to game the results.

Also, how the hell did they not expect us to figure it out if the code was so easily found and so clearly labelled? That's a stupid move...

it was hidden pretty well

and also it never happened before so i guess they never expected 

btw what is that cpu graph thing anand is using ?

looks cool

it was hidden pretty well

and also it never happened before so i guess they never expected 

btw what is that cpu graph thing anand is using ?

looks cool

Yeah but Galaxy S devices always get hacked and modded like crazy and they're benchmarked all the time so it was only a matter of time before they got caught.

Also, here you go: https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.cgollner.systemmonitor&hl=en

UPDATE!: Samsung denies benchmark gaming allegations in vague response

samsung-galaxy-s4-vs-galaxy-S3-benchmark

After Samsung was accused yesterday of gaming benchmarks in order to obtain better scores for the Galaxy S4, the Korean company issued a vague response that fails to provide a credible explanation.

The official response is a post on the company’s Korean Samsung Tomorrow blog (http://samsungtomorrow.com/4676). Their words:

Under ordinary conditions, the GALAXY S4 has been designed to allow a maximum GPU frequency of 533MHz. However, the maximum GPU frequency is lowered to 480MHz for certain gaming apps that may cause an overload, when they are used for a prolonged period of time in full-screen mode. Meanwhile, a maximum GPU frequency of 533MHz is applicable for running apps that are usually used in full-screen mode, such as the S Browser, Gallery, Camera, Video Player, and certain benchmarking apps, which also demand substantial performance. The maximum GPU frequencies for the GALAXY S4 have been varied to provide optimal user experience for our customers, and were not intended to improve certain benchmark results. Samsung Electronics remains committed to providing our customers with the best possible user experience.

This doesn't explain how only whitelisted apps reach 533MHz and they completely avoid talking about the "Benchmark Booster" functionality.

Source: http://www.androidauthority.com/samsung-bencmark-allegations-response-251164/

This just in: tech company cheats on benchmark scores, more info at 11

Headline from 1982

Intel 4670K /w TT water 2.0 performer, GTX 1070FE, Gigabyte Z87X-DH3, Corsair HX750, 16GB Mushkin 1333mhz, Fractal R4 Windowed, Varmilo mint TKL, Logitech m310, HP Pavilion 23bw, Logitech 2.1 Speakers