GTX 970, unsure which brand to get.

Hemanse

Replacing my MSI GTX 770 Lightning with a 970, im still on a 1080p (with no immediate plans to upgrade) display so 970 seems to be the best option, but there are so many damn brands to choose from, so far from what i have seen and read, evga, gigabyte and msi seems to be the top options, im leaning a bit towards the MSI, but still not really sure, my experience with my 770 lightning wasnt very good.

Guess there isnt a huge difference, i would like a decent overclocker, unlike my 770 lightning which had no room for overclocking and most important of all, no coilwhine, then again i also guess that comes down to being lucky.

Ryzen 7 3700x, MSI B450 Tomahawk MAX, 16GB Ballistix Elite 3600MHz, MSI RTX 2070 Super Gaming X Trio, Corsair RM750x V2

i have the msi and its great but if you plan on overclocking the best is the gigabyte g1, thats a tank at ocing and doesnt have crappy hynix memory, it has samsung.

Gpu: MSI 4G GTX 970 | Cpu: i5 4690k @4.6Ghz 1.23v | Cpu Cooler: Cryorig r1 ultimate | Ram: 1600mhz 2x8Gb corsair vengeance | Storage: sandisk ultra ii 128gb (os) 1TB WD Green | Psu: evga supernova g1 650watt | Case: fractal define s windowed |

Gigabyte or EVGA

"Sulit" (adj.) something that is worth it

i7 8700K 4.8Ghz delidded / Corsair H100i V2 / Asus Strix Z370-F / G.Skill Trident Z RGB 16GB 3200 / EVGA GTX 1080Ti FTW3 / ASUS ROG SWIFT PG279Q

Samsung 850 EVO 500GB & 250GB - Crucial MX300 M.2 525GB / Fractal Design Define S / Corsair K70 MX Reds / Logitech G502 / Beyerdynamic DT770 250Ohm

SMSL SD793II AMP/DAC - Schiit Magni 3 / PCPP

Old Rig

i5 2500k 4.5Ghz | Gigabyte Z68XP-UD3P | Zotac GTX 980 AMP! Extreme | Crucial Ballistix Tactical 16GB 1866MHz

id say go msi since you already have had good experience

CPU - i5 4690K @ 4.5Ghz l CPU Cooler - Nepton 240m l GPU - MSI GTX970 gaming 4g 2-way SLI l SLI Bridge - MSI Gaming 2-way L Pro l Mobo - MSI Z97-G45 Gaming l RAM - 2x8GB Vengeance Pro 2133mhz DDR3 l PSU - Corsair HX750i l SSD - 2x Samsung 840 Evo 250GB in raid 0 | HDD - WD Black 2TB | Case - NZXT H440 Red/Black l OS - Windows 10 l Mouse Logitech G502 l MousePad - XTRFY NiP lightning l KeyBoard - Corsair Vengeance K70 RGB (Red) | Headset - Asus ROG Spitfire | Monitor - Asus PG279Q - VG248QE l PCPP - http://pcpartpicker.com/p/sxTpsY | Please don't buy CX PSU for a high end PC

evga has bad cooling too imo, the  best looking 970 has to be the msi, the gigabyte is the best but it looks overbuilt and evgas all look the same....

also my friends ftw+ which at stock is higher than mine and its boost is over 100mhz  more than mine cant oc aswell as mine so evga are pointless. he paid £60 more than i did looool.

Gpu: MSI 4G GTX 970 | Cpu: i5 4690k @4.6Ghz 1.23v | Cpu Cooler: Cryorig r1 ultimate | Ram: 1600mhz 2x8Gb corsair vengeance | Storage: sandisk ultra ii 128gb (os) 1TB WD Green | Psu: evga supernova g1 650watt | Case: fractal define s windowed |

msi just make sure you can return it some of them are duds  like a 6  asic rating  have had 3 of those so far out of about 7 cards  . but i have 2 of them now in sli both cards on there own can hit 1600mhz but stuck at 1500 in sli . gaming 4g is the best ive had only the g1 gaming from gigabyte can better .

main rig

Spoiler

corsair 750d | evga 1000w g2 | Gigabyte x99 soc champ | 5820k 4.0GHz | 1tb wd blue | 250gb samsung 840 evo  | Crucial Ballistix Sport XT 16GB 8x2 DDR4-2400 | MSI GTX 970 x2 | monitor Acer B286HK 28" 4K | razor chroma blackwidow  | razor death adder chroma

CENTOS 7 SERVER (PLEX&docker stuff)

Spoiler

NZXT s220 | evga 500w 80+ | AMD FX 8320e | ASUS M5A78L-M/USB3 | 2x8gb non ecc ddr3 WD red 2TBx2 | seagate 160gb microcenter 8gb flashdrive OS

Whatever has best warranty and price really 970 on 1080p is beast :)

Catman - a Wolverine wanna be 

msi just make sure you can return it some of them are duds  like a 6  asic rating  have had 3 of those so far out of about 7 cards  . but i have 2 of them now in sli both cards on there own can hit 1600mhz but stuck at 1500 in sli . gaming 4g is the best ive had only the g1 gaming from gigabyte can better .

1600 how? can you link me to the bios you use brah, mine hit 1554mhz on stock, tried one bios but only got it to 1570mhz with 125% power limit.

my msi asic quality is 74.6%.

id say go msi since you already have had good experience

Had bad experiences :) but i do like the new twin frozr / zero frozr.

Ryzen 7 3700x, MSI B450 Tomahawk MAX, 16GB Ballistix Elite 3600MHz, MSI RTX 2070 Super Gaming X Trio, Corsair RM750x V2

GIGIGGIGIGIA BYTE

MSI

EVGAeyyy

ASSus has bad cooler

G...G...G...G....G....G....GIGGGGGGGABYYYYYYYYYTE!

I have Asus Strix, pretty happy with it. MSI and Gigabyte models were almost 80$ more, also Gigabyte is pretty lengthy so their overclocking potential didn't seem that much worth to me

If cost is same, I would personally prefer MSI Millennium Edition, the green one with back plate, Gaming version is good, but I no back-plate, and Gigabyte is too long

Finally got PS4 Pro

How does the gigabyte do when it comes to coil whine and general noise? Im pretty picky when it comes to noise, my 770 for example is quite a buzzer and i hate it.

the Gigabyte G1 Gaming has beauty and brawn. its also gauntlet sorted for the best overclock capabilities i dont know if the other one have that or not

never had a problem with coil whine on mine and its very quite

I have Asus Strix, pretty happy with it. MSI and Gigabyte models were almost 80$ more, also Gigabyte is pretty lengthy so their overclocking potential didn't seem that much worth to me

If cost is same, I would personally prefer MSI Millennium Edition, the green one with back plate, Gaming version is good, but I no back-plate, and Gigabyte is too long

Here in Denmark the prices almost seem to change from day to day and from company to company, Asus strix is 390$ while MSI and Gigabyte is 420$.

1600 how? can you link me to the bios you use brah, mine hit 1554mhz on stock, tried one bios but only got it to 1570mhz with 125% power limit.

my msi asic quality is 74.6%.

its stock bios card is also watercooled but was able to do 1600 just with very high temps on air. 80 asic on it sorry about the shit pic from my phone doesnt look as good on my pc http://imgur.com/TwSQCQB

my second card is about the same as yours is 71.8

i just was returning cards till i got one that did what i wanted  . i cant get the dam thing to load so there is the direct link

main rig

Spoiler

corsair 750d | evga 1000w g2 | Gigabyte x99 soc champ | 5820k 4.0GHz | 1tb wd blue | 250gb samsung 840 evo  | Crucial Ballistix Sport XT 16GB 8x2 DDR4-2400 | MSI GTX 970 x2 | monitor Acer B286HK 28" 4K | razor chroma blackwidow  | razor death adder chroma

Spoiler

NZXT s220 | evga 500w 80+ | AMD FX 8320e | ASUS M5A78L-M/USB3 | 2x8gb non ecc ddr3 WD red 2TBx2 | seagate 160gb microcenter 8gb flashdrive OS

Here in Denmark the prices almost seem to change from day to day and from company to company, Asus strix is 390$ while MSI and Gigabyte is 420$.

Then I guess you have to decide if overclocking potential of G1 Gaming is worth that extra 30$

I will say go with which matches your rig aesthetically, if gaming bundle is included or not (but right now it's Arkham Knight, so maybe not worth it anyways).

Just curious have you compared it with R9 390's? How much are they?

Finally got PS4 Pro

its stock bios card is also watercooled but was able to do 1600 just with very high temps on air. 80 asic on it sorry about the shit pic from my phone doesnt look as good on my pc http://imgur.com/TwSQCQB

i just was returning cards till i got one that did what i wanted  . i cant get the dam thing to load so there is the direct link

nice bro nice, i tested mine on firestrike, i couldnt get it stable past 1570, artifacted like mad.

EVGA!!! Brilliant performance, and cooling.

evga has bad cooling too imo, the  best looking 970 has to be the msi, the gigabyte is the best but it looks overbuilt and evgas all look the same....

also my friends ftw+ which at stock is higher than mine and its boost is over 100mhz  more than mine cant oc aswell as mine so evga are pointless. he paid £60 more than i did looool.

Bad cooling where did you hear that?  I can be playing games in surround for hours upon hours and my EVGA 970 doesn't go above 65c (By default EVGA fans do not turn on until they hit 60c)

Official Profile for Addon Customs LTD and Custom Acrylics
Addon Customs -
Custom LED Lighting | Single colour and RGB available, hand sleeved | Now making Phanteks Case compatible LED KITS
Custom Acrylics - Custom computer parts | GPU backplates, Fan Grills, NZXT H440 Fascias and PSU covers | 3D printing and Laser Cutting Service available.

Then I guess you have to decide if overclocking potential of G1 Gaming is worth that extra 30$

I will say go with which matches your rig aesthetically, if gaming bundle is included or not (but right now it's Arkham Knight, so maybe not worth it anyways).

Just curious have you compared it with R9 390's? How much are they?

I did check out the 390, saw the Jayztwocents video where he recommended the 390 over the 970, but im still unsure when it comes to AMD, i am in no way a fanboy either way, i just like to stick with what i know, i have only once tried a AMD card a long time ago and the drivers were beyond bad :)

EVGA!!! Brilliant performance, and cooling.

Bad cooling where did you hear that?  I can be playing games in surround for hours upon hours and my EVGA 970 doesn't go above 65c (By default EVGA fans do not turn on until they hit 60c)

I dont like the fact that EVGA seems to have like 10 different versions of the 970, ACX2.0, ACX2.0+, SSC, Superclocked, Superclocked+, FTW, FTW+, i mean come on :)

nice bro nice, i tested mine on firestrike, i couldnt get it stable past 1570, artifacted like mad.

just so everyone knows there is a new issue with the 970's you cant sli a gaming g4 with a non gaming g4 of msi cards and evga has the same thing ftw cards with ftw and blowers only with other evga blowers. im talking about the blue/white coolers to a 100me or a le editon

http://www.evga.com/support/faq/afmmain.aspx?faqid=59534 msi wont comment on this or say anything they use its a trade secret shit.  but at least evga made it public. gigabyte says they dont have this and i didnt bother with asus to email them .

main rig

Spoiler

Spoiler