Gaming with a pentium

Hi i am going to buld a pc with de intel pentium anneversery edition. It has 2 cores an no hyper treathing wat happens if i want to play a game that needs 4 cores according to the game specs?

Far cry 4 i think does not support dual core processors

I would go with a 860k tbh...

Lol the pentium crushes it and yes there are hacks if a game refuses to work on a Dualcore.

In this price point I would recommend 860k for sure, but if you want to upgrade later for an i5, then get the Pentium.

Spoiler

Main PC: CPU Xeon E3-1231 V3 - MB Asrock B85M Pro3 - RAM 16GB Kingston - GPU GTX 1070 Gainward Phoenix - PSU Corsair AX760i - Monitor  LG 22EA63 - Keyboard Corsair Strafe - Mouse Logitech G402 - Storage 2x3TB WD Green - 240GB OCZ SSD

61639257.jpg

Replace "living" with "gaming"

Nude Fist 1: i5-4590-ASRock h97 Anniversary-16gb Samsung 1333mhz-MSI GTX 970-Corsair 300r-Seagate HDD(s)-EVGA SuperNOVA 750b2

Name comes from anagramed sticker for "TUF Inside" (A sticker that came with my original ASUS motherboard)

61639257.jpg

Replace "living" with "gaming"

-_-

really?

In my personal experience of using a G3258 (I still use it, waiting on skylake/broadwell before committing to a higher purchase), i would say for most cases, it works fine for gaming. However, some recent AAA titles just flat out will not work out of the box on the G3258. You can patch around this, but it will still result in a lackluster experience depending on hardware. If you are planning to run a 750 Ti or low end GPU with it, sure, It will work fine with that setup. However, after seeing people run 970's and 290's with them (I am no better, i run a GTX 770 with mine) it does tend to hold higher end hardware back.

You can play Far Cry 4, Dragons Age Inquisition, GTA 5, etc. Just do not expect 60fps on high details. More often than not, you will notice frame dips below 40fps, and an average of 50fps on medium settings at best. Some games like GTA5 will require an artificial frame cap because the CPU is too slow to decode all of the textures in the game. Without this cap, you notice invisible buildings, and being able to see through the floor. 

G3258 is good for a stop gap cpu, a beginner OCing chip, and an MMO/MOBA CPU, but i would not buy one if AAA gaming was my end goal. 

My (incomplete) memory overclocking guide: 

Does memory speed impact gaming performance? Click here to find out!

On 1/2/2017 at 9:32 PM, MageTank said:

Sometimes, we all need a little inspiration.