Formula For Calculating PSU Requirement

BigDay

What are your thoughts on the following formula?

[(cpuTdp + gpuTdp) * 2 ] + [(numberOfGpus -1) * gpuTdp]

Let's say that you arrive at 676w. Could you get away with a 650w psu OR should you go with a 700w+ psu?

BigDay

You know, there's a reason a PSU will be rated at a certain wattage. Going over said wattage is not a good idea.

Main rig on profile

VAULT - File Server

Spoiler

Intel Core i5 11400 w/ Shadow Rock LP, 2x16GB SP GAMING 3200MHz CL16, ASUS PRIME Z590-A, 2x LSI 9211-8i, Fractal Define 7, 256GB Team MP33, 3x 6TB WD Red Pro (9TB partition for general storage + 2TB partition for dumping ground), 4x 8TB WD White Label/Red (Plex) (all 3 arrays in their respective Windows Parity storage spaces), Corsair RM750x, Windows 11 Education

Sleeper HP Pavilion A6137C

Spoiler

Intel Core i7 6700K @ 4.4GHz, 4x8GB G.SKILL Ares 1800MHz CL10, ASUS Z170M-E D3, 128GB Team MP33, 1TB Seagate Barracuda, 320GB Samsung Spinpoint (for video capture), MSI GTX 970 100ME, EVGA 650G1, Windows 10 Pro

OptiPlex 7040M

Spoiler

Intel Core i7 6700, 2x16GB Mushkin Redline (stuck at 2133MHz CL13), 240GB Corsair MP510, 130w Dell power brick, Windows 10 Pro

Mac Mini (Late 2020)

Spoiler

Apple M1, 8GB RAM, 256GB, macOS Sonoma

Consoles: Softmodded 1.4 Xbox w/ 500GB HDD, Xbox 360 Elite 120GB Falcon, XB1X w/2TB MX500, Xbox Series X, PS1 1001, PS2 Slim 70000 w/ FreeMcBoot, PS4 Pro 7015B 1TB (retired), PS5 Digital, Nintendo Switch OLED, Nintendo Wii RVL-001 (black)

Where I hang out: The Garage - Car Enthusiast Club

My cars: 2006 Mazda RX-8 (MT) | 2014 Mazda 6 (AT) | 2009 Honda Jazz (AT)

PC Specs

Indonesia

CPU: i5-4690 | Motherboard: MSI B85-G43 | Memory: Corsair Vengeance 2x4GB | Power Supply: Corsair CX500 | Video Card: MSI GTX 970

Storage: Kingston V300 120GB & WD Blue 1TB | Network Card: ASUS PCE-AC56 | Peripherals: Microsoft Wired 600 & Logitech G29 + Shifter

Australia 

CPU: Ryzen 3 2200G | Motherboard: MSI - B450 Tomahawk | Memory: Mushkin - 8GB (1 x 8GB) | Storage: Mushkin 250GB & Western Digital - Caviar Blue 1TB
Video Card: GIGABYTE - RX 580 8GB | Case: Corsair - 100R ATX Mid Tower | Power Supply: Avolv 550W 80+ Gold

I just used this: http://www.extreme.outervision.com/psucalculatorlite.jsp 

Also TDP is the heat that is emitted from the part isn't it? 

:ph34r:  :ph34r:  :ph34r:  :ph34r:  :ph34r:  :ph34r:  :ph34r: @DimasRMDO

CPU: Intel 3570 GPUs: Nvidia GTX 660Ti Case: Fractal design Define R4  Storage: 1TB WD Caviar Black & 240GB Hyper X 3k SSD Sound: Custom One Pros Keyboard: Ducky Shine 4 Mouse: Logitech G500

I just used this: http://www.extreme.outervision.com/psucalculatorlite.jsp 

Also TDP is the heat that is emitted from the part isn't it? 

:ph34r:  :ph34r:  :ph34r:  :ph34r:  :ph34r:  :ph34r:  :ph34r: @DimasRMDO

Thermal Design Power

it's pretty much power consumption for electronics as 100% the power gets converted into heat

unless it's like blinking lights or moving fans - then some power goes to do that

but cpu and gpu pretty much convert everything into heat

CPU: Intel i7 5820K @ 4.20 GHz | MotherboardMSI X99S SLI PLUS | RAM: Corsair LPX 16GB DDR4 @ 2666MHz | GPU: Sapphire R9 Fury (x2 CrossFire)
Storage: Samsung 950Pro 512GB // OCZ Vector150 240GB // Seagate 1TB | PSU: Seasonic 1050 Snow Silent | Case: NZXT H440 | Cooling: Nepton 240M
FireStrike // Extreme // Ultra // 8K // 16K

the problem i have with that extreme calculator is that it doesn't seem to factor in a gpu overclock. am i wrong for saying this?

BigDay

for 676 watts u should look at over 750 or even a 850w psu.. why?

efficiency plays a big part here.. good 850w psu's are rated at 80% efficiency that means any good 850w psu delivers 80% of the advertised wattage.. that means 850W-20%=680w of power without wattage fluctuation..

what do you guys think of that formula i've provided above?

BigDay

efficiency plays a big part here.. good 850w psu's are rated at 80% efficiency that means any good 850w psu delivers 80% of the advertised wattage.. that means 850W-20%=680w of power without wattage fluctuation..

what you smoke?

80% efficiency means it can convert AC to DC with no more than 20% loss in wattage

It will however deliver 750W DC if it's 750W rated, but will pull 937W of AC

CPU: Intel i7 5820K @ 4.20 GHz | MotherboardMSI X99S SLI PLUS | RAM: Corsair LPX 16GB DDR4 @ 2666MHz | GPU: Sapphire R9 Fury (x2 CrossFire)
Storage: Samsung 950Pro 512GB // OCZ Vector150 240GB // Seagate 1TB | PSU: Seasonic 1050 Snow Silent | Case: NZXT H440 | Cooling: Nepton 240M

It's probably best finding someone with the power supplies that measure the output it's currently giving. I think it's corsair ones with corsair link but I'm not too sure. 

CPU: Intel 3570 GPUs: Nvidia GTX 660Ti Case: Fractal design Define R4  Storage: 1TB WD Caviar Black & 240GB Hyper X 3k SSD Sound: Custom One Pros Keyboard: Ducky Shine 4 Mouse: Logitech G500

Why are you multiplying by two? Just add the TDP of all your parts, then add ~30% so you have OC overhead and won't be running your PSU at it's absolute limits.

i dont know about that but 

what you smoke?

80% efficiency means it can convert AC to DC with no more than 20% loss in wattage

who cares.. effectively all it gives out is 80% of advertised wattage 

Why are you multiplying by two? Just add the TDP of all your parts, then add ~30% so you have OC overhead and won't be running your PSU at it's absolute limits.

multiplying by two to add room for overclock on the cpu and gpu as well as room for the other components

BigDay

multiplying by two to add room for overclock on the cpu and gpu as well as room for the other components

Overclocking doesn't require double the power though. A CPU/GPU TDP of 400 watts does not mean you need an 800W PSU, that's massive overkill.

it will give exactly the "advertised" wattage and a little bit more

that's actually RATED wattage which means it can provide it sustained through out the warranty period

it can still provide above the rated wattage for short periods of time until it craps itself and shuts down on evercurrent protection

Adding the TDP together and then mutiplying is entirely the wrong idea. That gives you WAY too high of a number and that's why people end up with 1500W PSUs for two 980s...

An OC'd 680 (hungry) and OC'd 3770K (also hungry) use about 350W of power.

Computers use significantly less power than most think.

|PSU Tier List /80 Plus Efficiency| PSU stuff if you need it. 

My system: PCPartPicker || For Corsair support tag @Corsair Josephor @Corsair Nick || My 5MT Legacy GT Wagon ||

80+ ratings refer to efficiency of converting AC to DC... not the power that PSU can actually deliver

Lots of people care, well because of power bill, you certainly don't want a PSU to draw 800 W for a 500 W system...

This is a signature.

Let's say that you arrive at 676w. Could you get away with a 650w psu OR should you go with a 700w+ psu?

Easiest way, CPU TDP + GPU(s) TDP + 100-150W. 

If you get 676W obviously don't buy a 650W PSU, too many watts is always better then not enough.

http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/199255-how-many-watts-do-i-need-check-here/

"Rawr XD"

Most if not all pc parts these days tells you the number of watt they will be drawing, so as long as you know what parts you are going to be using, so can you figure out how many watt you need. Its just good old plus math.

For overclock just add 50% more of power that part uses, as only extreme overclocks will go past that, so you will have a buffer available.