Future of Windows phones?

spwath

So, no one kill me, but I just love windows 10 and everrything, and would love to have it on my phone.

What do you think will there be a refresh of windows phones with win 10, or will windows phones just die?

I honestly love win 10 and am kinda microsoft fanboy now and kinda want to get a zune...

n0ah1897, on 05 Mar 2014 - 2:08 PM, said:  "Computers are like girls. It's whats in the inside that matters.  I don't know about you, but I like my girls like I like my cases. Just as beautiful on the inside as the outside."

So, no one kill me, but I just love windows 10 and everrything, and would love to have it on my phone.

What do you think will there be a refresh of windows phones with win 10, or will windows phones just die?

I honestly love win 10 and am kinda microsoft fanboy now and kinda want to get a zune...

Linus just said in the WAN Show that Windows phones are not going to die...

Main Gaming PC (new): HP Omen 30L || i9 10850K || RTX 3070 || 512GB WD Blue NVME || 2TB HDD, 4TB HDD, 8TB HDD ||  750W P2 ||  16GB HyperX Black DDR4

Main Gaming PC (old, still own) : Intel Core i7 7700K @5.0Ghz || GPU: GTX 1080 Seahawk EK X || Motherboard: Maximus VIII Impact || Case: Fractal Design Define Nano S || RAM : 32GB Corsair Vengeance LPX 

Cooling: EK XRES D5 100mm || Alphacool ST30 280mm w/ Vardars || Alphacool ST30 240mm w/ Vardars || Swiftech 3/8 x 1/2'' Lok-Seal Compressions || Swiftech EVGA Hydrocopper Block || Primochill Advanced LRT Orange || Distilled Water

Folding@Home Rig: 2x X5690s @4.6Ghz || GPUs: 2x Radeon HD 7990 || Motherboard: EVGA SR-2 || Case: Corsair 900D || RAM: 48GB Corsair Dominator GT 2000Mhz CL9

Ethereum Mining Rig: Pentium G4400 || Gigabyte Z170X-UD5 TH || 2x GTX 1060s (Samsung & Hynix) 1x GTX 1070 (Micron), 2x RX480s BIOS modded (Samsung), 1x R9 290X 8GB, 1x GTX 1660 Super = ~ 195 Mh/s

Peripherals: 3x U2412M (5760x1200), 1x U3011 (2560x1600) || Logitech G710 (Cherry Blues) || Logitech G600 || Brainwavz HM5 with @Gofspar Mod 

Laptop: Dell XPS 15 || "Infinity Edge" 4K IPS Screen || i7 7700HQ || GTX 1050 || 16GB 2400Mhz RAM 

Linus just said in the WAN Show that Windows phones are not going to die...

Don't watch the wan show.

Too long.

n0ah1897, on 05 Mar 2014 - 2:08 PM, said:  "Computers are like girls. It's whats in the inside that matters.  I don't know about you, but I like my girls like I like my cases. Just as beautiful on the inside as the outside."

Don't watch the wan show.

Too long.

Watch the youtube archive, they have topic points in the description which you can forward to and just watch the few mins you are interested in xD

But as for windows phones i think they have to make an impact with the new windows 10 for them to get some popularity (and change up a lot of other things, since ive not heard many good reviews). If not i still think they may not die... they seem to be cheap and i have seen some people with them, they may just stay where they are now and be an unpopular phone. 

Watch the youtube archive, they have topic points in the description which you can forward to and just watch the few mins you are interested in xD

But as for windows phones i think they have to make an impact with the new windows 10 for them to get some popularity (and change up a lot of other things, since ive not heard many good reviews). If not i still think they may not die... they seem to be cheap and i have seen some people with them, they may just stay where they are now and be an unpopular phone. 

At least win 10 for desktop is miles better than win 8

I love it.

Dark themes for everything

I love it.

d..did you just say dark thing for everything I now I cant wait to get my own computer with windows 10 :D

Spoiler

My system is the Dell Inspiron 15 5559 Microsoft Signature Edition

The Austrailian king of LTT said that I'm awesome and a funny guy. the greatest psu list known to man DDR3 ram guide

i got 477 posts in my first 30 days on LinusTechTips.com

d..did you just say dark thing for everything I now I cant wait to get my own computer with windows 10 :D

Yeah, let me take some screenies of a bunch of win 10 apps

Yeah, let me take some screenies of a bunch of win 10 apps

ok

Spoiler

The Austrailian king of LTT said that I'm awesome and a funny guy. the greatest psu list known to man DDR3 ram guide

I'm going to answer both of those questions with no, lol. So will it just die? No, even though it has a small market share, it has too much to just die, and I'm pretty sure its rising too. And refresh? I doubt it. So it sounds like Microsoft doesn't want to make windows phones unless if they have to(they want people like HTC and BLU making them), but HTC's historically have flopped, and BLU is sitting fine with their budget devices(cause both the Win Jr. and Win HD are fairly new). As it stands now, the flagship Nokia/M$ftMobile devices basically outdated, but plenty fine(and they are having troubles adapting Win10 on them), and they just released new budget devices(630/35 earlier this year, 640 not too long ago, 735 not too long ago, etc). I can see new devices directly from Microsoft Mobile next year, but not any sooner.

Microsoft really needs to gain marketshare, because without it app support will be(as it currently is) bad. They need to give W10 or later releases compelling and innovative features, because them "catching up" to iOS just isn't good enough(still years behind Android, sorry its just how it is).

ok

Not everything, at least not yet.

The calander, the email, and some others don't have dark theme, yet.

But here is what I found has dark theme, so far, there might be more I didn't see

Edge Browser: (I really like it, but ATM crashes sometimes, but beta)

post-53826-0-58216000-1437182609_thumb.p

Groove Music: (like this too, nice music player)

post-53826-0-05005600-1437182633_thumb.p

Photos:

post-53826-0-74007500-1437182640_thumb.p

Not everything, at least not yet.

The calander, the email, and some others don't have dark theme, yet.

But here is what I found has dark theme, so far, there might be more I didn't see

Edge Browser: (I really like it, but ATM crashes sometimes, but beta)

attachicon.gifDarkbrowser.png

Groove Music: (like this too, nice music player)

attachicon.gifDarkmusic.png

Photos:

attachicon.gifDarkphotoes.png

thank you and thank you Microsoft love you both (no homo)

Spoiler

there's windows phone 10. they have windows insider on the windows store to get win phone 10 tech preview

I'm going to answer both of those questions with no, lol. So will it just die? No, even though it has a small market share, it has too much to just die, and I'm pretty sure its rising too. And refresh? I doubt it. So it sounds like Microsoft doesn't want to make windows phones unless if they have to(they want people like HTC and BLU making them), but HTC's historically have flopped, and BLU is sitting fine with their budget devices(cause both the Win Jr. and Win HD are fairly new). As it stands now, the flagship Nokia/M$ftMobile devices basically outdated, but plenty fine(and they are having troubles adapting Win10 on them), and they just released new budget devices(630/35 earlier this year, 640 not too long ago, 735 not too long ago, etc). I can see new devices directly from Microsoft Mobile next year, but not any sooner.

Microsoft really needs to gain marketshare, because without it app support will be(as it currently is) bad. They need to give W10 or later releases compelling and innovative features, because them "catching up" to iOS just isn't good enough(still years behind Android, sorry its just how it is).

Ok. Looks like there are some high end win phone coming soon from Nokia.

I might get one, if they come to sprint.

I love my lumina 735. I had to get a lower end one but it doesn't bother me.

i7-6700k  Cooling: Deepcool Captain 240EX White GPU: GTX 1080Ti EVGA FTW3 Mobo: AsRock Z170 Extreme4 Case: Phanteks P400s TG Special Black/White PSU: EVGA 850w GQ Ram: 64GB (3200Mhz 16x4 Corsair Vengeance RGB) Storage 1x 1TB Seagate Barracuda 240GBSandisk SSDPlus, 480GB OCZ Trion 150, 1TB Crucial NVMe
(Rest of Specs on Profile)

Linus said during the WAN Show that Windows Phone isn't going to be killed off. In fact, I'm pretty glad it isn't, because there needs to be a third guy in the market too. It can't be a duopoly between Google and Apple.

I'm a Windows Phone user myself. Many of Linus' criticisms of it are perfectly valid. Apps take forever to get updated or even be released, and if they are they're given second- or third-class treatment compared to their iOS or Android equivalents. Customization is also pretty limited, and Microsoft's attempts at introducing more customization to the OS (namely the Live Lock Screen) failed, with Live Lock Screen in particular not being updated once since its release. Support in general is also pretty poor, with phones also being given second- or third-class treatment compared to iPhones or Android phones. However, it does provide a pretty nice experience on low-end devices compared to Android and it's not as closed-off as iOS, but yet it still just is not there. Hopefully this changes with Windows 10 and Windows phones take off on a greater scale than 10% market share in a few countries, as iOS and Android need a third competitor.

This all being said, I don't think my next phone will be a Windows phone, but we will see. Maybe I'll consider going back to it when the ecosystem and the whole thing improves, but I think I might end up sticking to Android in the end. I'll still use Windows on the desktop and other devices like that, but on my phone? Probably not.

thank you and thank you Microsoft love you both (no homo)

Yeah, really nice, I'm just waiting for mostly email to have a dark theme. I think they made a mistake, I can choose "light theme" or "bright theme" and both are identical.

Hopefully they have a dark theme for email by full release.

Yeah, really nice, I'm just waiting for mostly email to have a dark theme. I think they made a mistake, I can choose "light theme" or "bright theme" and both are identical.

Hopefully they have a dark theme for email by full release.

lol and I think once my dad decides to let me get a phone I will get a windows phone

Spoiler

lol and I think once my dad decides to let me get a phone I will get a windows phone

Nice.

Just released I'm missing an update. Updating win now. I'll see what they have fixed.

Nice.

Just released I'm missing an update. Updating win now. I'll see what they have fixed.

ok see ya after the update

Spoiler

Ok. Looks like there are some high end win phone coming soon from Nokia.

I might get one, if they come to sprint.

Sprint... You might want to 'sprint' away from that carrier if you want a Windows Phone lol. Nokia/Microsoft isn't a fan of of CDMA, I'm sure Verizon has to pay them a bunch for their custom phones, but Sprint doesn't have those kinds of funds. If anything just get a off contract T-Mobile device and use it on WiFi lol.

Sprint... You might want to 'sprint' away from that carrier if you want a Windows Phone lol. Nokia/Microsoft isn't a fan of of CDMA, I'm sure Verizon has to pay them a bunch for their custom phones, but Sprint doesn't have those kinds of funds. If anything just get a off contract T-Mobile device and use it on WiFi lol.

Yeah well my family is on sprint. So it would be 25$/month 5gb 4g data on sprint for me, so that's the cheapest option for me for now.

Unless I can get the whole family to move.

I love it.

nice! cant wait to play around with it =] 

And im glad its miles better never was a fan of win8

the only way win phones will find any kind of popularity is to offer incentives  to iphone/android app developers to port over their apps in full quality over to windows phone in droves and price them the same..NOT MORE, maybe even less through subsidies from MS to attract more customers. Offer many high quality free apps like the ones in appstore.   Also have the same high quality ipad apps available for their surface tablets.  Can you imagine using Surface stylus with all of those graphic apps for artists?  MS will have the best of both worlds into one tablet....native ones and the ones ported over from Apple/android developers.  I know MS have made tools available for developers to facilitate porting over apple/android apps,  I just hope the developers follow through.     

Well I can tell you for sure that at least the 940 and 940XL are coming...perhaps in September already. The 940XL will have 5,7in screen(2160 x 1440) and 8 core Snapdragon 810. The 940 will have 5,2in display(2160 x 1440) and 6 core Snapdragon 808. They will both have 3GB of memory, 32GB storage space 20MP rear camera and 5MP front camera and a 3300mAh battery. ;) 

Now hopefully they also make a successor for the Lumia 1020

Specs: 

Spoiler

PC:CASE: FD Define r6 | CPU:Intel Core i7-8700k | MB: MSI z370 PC Pro RAM: 32GB Corsair vengance LPX 3000 GPU: Asus rx 6900xt Tuf STORAGE: nand 500GB Samsung 970Evo plus ; Game Storage: 2TB Samsung 860QVO Storage: 2 x WD Green 4TB | PSU: Corsair RM850x | CPUCooler: Noctua NH-D15   DISPLAY: LG 27GL850

Well I can tell you for sure that at least the 940 and 940XL are coming...perhaps in September already. The 940XL will have 5,7in screen(2160 x 1440) and 8 core Snapdragon 810. The 940 will have 5,2in display(2160 x 1440) and 6 core Snapdragon 808. They will both have 3GB of memory, 32GB storage space 20MP rear camera and 5MP front camera and a 3300mAh battery. ;)

Now hopefully they also make a successor for the Lumia 1020

I really hope they come to sprint