Change default install folder in Win7

LogicalDrm

Is there some way to set Windows to suggest certain folder for new installations?

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
<-- This is me --- That's your scrollbar -->
vvvv Who's there? vvvv

There is, but before anything else, this can break stuff, and is highly NOT ADVISED OR SUPPORTED by Microsoft. Instead, they advise you manually change the install path for programs that allow you during install.

Anyway, I was researching this before I got this PC, but in the end I didn't need it because I got a large enough SSD. You should do this as early as possible after getting the PC, and if possible before installing any software because that just makes it much more complicated.

1. First, in your new location, make two folders: "Program Files" and "Program Files (x86)". You can change their names, but those names are advised.
  2. Open Regedit and navigate to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion and change the "ProgramFilesDir" and "ProgramFilesDir (x86)" keys to your new locations
  3. Now do a search in the registry, and replace every instance of "C:\Program Files\" with the new path, and the same with "C:\Program Files (x86)".
  4. Shut down your computer and boot into the windows install DVD
  5. Enter your language and keyboard layout then click on repair my computer in the bottom right corner of the screen
  6. Open command prompt and type
    xcopy "C:\Program Files" "<new path>" /E /C /H /K /Bxcopy "C:\Program Files (x86)" "<new path>" /E /C /H /K /B

(Should work based on my own research, but I make no guarantees)

7. del /F /S /Q "C:\Program Files"del /F /S /Q "C:\Program Files (x86)"

Note that this is based on research I did 6 months ago, and may not be 100% accurate.

HTTP/2 203

@colonel_mortis, looks bit too complicated to me :/ Thanks anyway.

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
<-- This is me --- That's your scrollbar -->
vvvv Who's there? vvvv