Can I use an AMD card as a dedicated Phyx card, or do I need nvidia?

Ok, so I'm looking for a dedicated PhysX card, and I'm looking at getting a cheap GTX 780. Or if AMD cards work I can get a cheap AMD card. Budget $200. (I have a friend selling 780)

PC is alive again! :System: CPU:Intel i5 4960k/ Motherboard:ASUS Gryphon Z97/ RAM: Kingston 16GB/ GPU: ASUS R9 Fury X/ Storage: 120gb Crucial SSD, 2TB Seagate SSHD/ PSU: Cooler Master 700w/ Displays: 1 Acer B276HK ymjdprz 27-inch 4K Ultra HD/1 ASUS 21.5 LCD LED 21.5 monitor

Basically no games still use PhysX, at least not to the extent of getting a dedicated PhysX card.

NCASE M1 i5-9600k  GTX 1080 FE Z370N-WIFI SF600 NH-U9S LPX 32GB 960EVO

I'm a self-identifying Corsair Nvidia Fanboy; Get over it.

If you have an Nvidia GPU, it probably has PhysX built in. There is no need to run a dedicated card anymore.

Ok, so I'm looking for a dedicated PhysX card, and I'm looking at getting a cheap GTX 780. Or if AMD cards work I can get a cheap AMD card. Budget $200. (I have a friend selling 780)

No, PhysX is an Nvidia only technology and thus can only run on an Nvidia GPU. That being said a 980 Ti doesn't need help processing PhysX so a second card would be unnecessary.

If you have an Nvidia GPU, it probably has PhysX built in. There is no need to run a dedicated card anymore.

You can run a supplementary card to offload the PhysX processing from your main GPU, this freeing up performance on your primary GPU.

"The of and to a in is I that it for you was with on as have but be they"

No, PhysX is an Nvidia only technology and thus can only run on an Nvidia GPU. That being said a 980 Ti doesn't need help processing PhysX so a second card would be unnecessary.

Not Nvidia-only.

PhysX supports GPU acceleration via CUDA. So far, only Nvidia supports CUDA. Nvidia released a CUDA compiler for everyone to use, nobody's implemented it yet.

If GPU acceleration with CUDA isn't available, then PhysX runs normally, on the CPU.Any CPU.

i5 4670k @ 4.2GHz (Coolermaster Hyper 212 Evo); ASrock Z87 EXTREME4; 8GB Kingston HyperX Beast DDR3 RAM @ 2133MHz; Asus DirectCU GTX 560; Super Flower Golden King 550 Platinum PSU;1TB Seagate Barracuda;Corsair 200r case. 

if you have any AMD GPU in a system pshyx will be thrown to the CPU automaticlly

Nvidia, but. You can throw it in your system and use it for Folding @ Home

CPU: R5 5800X3D Motherboard - MSI X570 Gaming Plus RAM - 32GB Corsair DDR4 GPU - XFX 7900 XTX 4GB Case - NZXT H5 Flow (White) Storage - 2X 4TB Samsung 990 Pro PSU - Corsair RM100E Cooling - Corsair H100i Elite Capellix Keyboard Corsair K70 (Brown Switches)  Mouse - Corsair Nightsword RGB

Not Nvidia-only.

PhysX supports GPU acceleration via CUDA. So far, only Nvidia supports CUDA. Nvidia released a CUDA compiler for everyone to use, nobody's implemented it yet.

If GPU acceleration with CUDA isn't available, then PhysX runs normally, on the CPU.Any CPU.

CPU PhysX runs so badly that it's not even an option, that and in my experience any game with PhysX will have the in game option for it disabled if there isn't an Nvidia GPU in the system and it's associated effects will not be present in game. While technically you're correct running it on a CPU is not something that anyone would do or even could do.

"The of and to a in is I that it for you was with on as have but be they"

Dude...you have a GTX980Ti. :rolleyes:

CPU i7 6700k MB  MSI Z170A Pro Carbon GPU Zotac GTX980Ti amp!extreme RAM 16GB DDR4 Corsair Vengeance 3k CASE Corsair 760T PSU Corsair RM750i MOUSE Logitech G9x KB Logitech G910 HS Sennheiser GSP 500 SC Asus Xonar 7.1 MONITOR Acer Predator xb270hu Storage 1x1TB + 2x500GB Samsung 7200U/m - 2x500GB SSD Samsung 850EVO

Not Nvidia-only.

CPU PhysX Performance is horrible and not an Option at all.

CPU i7 6700k MB  MSI Z170A Pro Carbon GPU Zotac GTX980Ti amp!extreme RAM 16GB DDR4 Corsair Vengeance 3k CASE Corsair 760T PSU Corsair RM750i MOUSE Logitech G9x KB Logitech G910 HS Sennheiser GSP 500 SC Asus Xonar 7.1 MONITOR Acer Predator xb270hu Storage 1x1TB + 2x500GB Samsung 7200U/m - 2x500GB SSD Samsung 850EVO

You can run a supplementary card to offload the PhysX processing from your main GPU, this freeing up performance on your primary GPU.

CPU PhysX Performance is horrible and not an Option at all.

Running PhysX on the CPU (the test about fluids) got less FPS than on the GPU, so i'd assume running the phisics on the CPU will even decrease by a bit the FPS... (?) (sounds like a pile of crap tho...)

rig: i7 4770k @4.1Ghz (delidded), Corsair Vengeance 8GB 1600Mhz, ROG Maximus VI Hero, Noctua NH-D14, EVGA GTX980SC, Samsung 850 EVO 500GB, Corsair SF600, self-built wooden Case, CoolerMaster QuickFire TK, Logitech G502, Blue Yeti, BenQ GW2760HS

Running PhysX on the CPU (the test about fluids) got less FPS than on the GPU, so i'd assume running the phisics on the CPU will even decrease by a bit the FPS... (?) (sounds like a pile of crap tho...)

Surprisingly enough, my old FX 8320 ran physX better then my Intel i7 4790k.... yes i got the drivers for CPU bound PhysX installed, cuz a few games, even if they dont have physX, is so Nvidia bound they require the drivers to be there, just to be effin sure they wont use those damn drivers.