Anyone mod their 980Ti (reference) LED logo?

1Scotty1

Hey, folks

Question - has anyone managed to successfully mod their 980Ti reference LED logo? I am about to do that to my GPU, but I have to check if it is even possible, because on Reddit a dude said that the LED piece is no longer painted plastic, but colored rubber and sanding it produced an ugly effect, which was even worse...

So I need to double-check before taking apart my GPU.

Thanks in advance ;)

/brohoof

Hey, folks

Question - has anyone managed to successfully mod their 980Ti reference LED logo? I am about to do that to my GPU, but I have to check if it is even possible, because on Reddit a dude said that the LED piece is no longer painted plastic, but colored rubber and sanding it produced an ugly effect, which was even worse...

So I need to double-check before taking apart my GPU.

Thanks in advance ;)

/brohoof

if it is not a painted plastic piece anymore, you would recognize this as rubber is flexible. If you are not sure whether plastic or not, you could try to sand the piece on one small corner where you can't see it and if it does not work, you are fine from the outside

GUITAR BUILD LOG FROM SCRATCH OUT OF APPLEWOOD

- Ryzen Build -

R5 3600 | MSI X470 Gaming Plus MAX | 16GB CL16 3200MHz Corsair LPX | Dark Rock 4

MSI 2060 Super Gaming X

1TB Intel 660p | 250GB Kingston A2000 | 1TB Seagate Barracuda | 2TB WD Blue

be quiet! Silent Base 601 | be quiet! Straight Power 550W CM

2x Dell UP2516D

- First System (Retired) -

Intel Xeon 1231v3 | 16GB Crucial Ballistix Sport Dual Channel | Gigabyte H97 D3H | Gigabyte GTX 970 Gaming G1 | 525 GB Crucial MX 300 | 1 TB + 2 TB Seagate HDD
be quiet! 500W Straight Power E10 CM | be quiet! Silent Base 800 with stock fans | be quiet! Dark Rock Advanced C1 | 2x Dell UP2516D

Reviews: be quiet! Silent Base 800 | MSI GTX 950 OC

I modded my GTX 980 and the material that the logo was just as you described...rubber

It doesn't bother me as when the card is powered with the LED on....it isn't visible.

Crap... because the logo bothers ME... that green sticks out like a sore thumb in my black/white rig :(

Crap... because the logo bothers ME... that green sticks out like a sore thumb in my black/white rig :(

you could try and source a non green one on ebay or somewhere else 

Please quote me or tag me if your trying to talk to me , I might see it through all my other notifications ^_^

Spoiler
Spoiler
the current list of dead cards is as follows 2 evga gtx 980ti acx 2.0 , 1 evga gtx 980 acx 2.0 1600mhz core 2100mhz ram golden chip card ... failed hardcore , 1 290x that caught fire , 1 hd 7950 .

may you all rest in peaces in the giant pc in the sky

-epic snip-

Wait, so this is your rig and the sanding went actually good? Because it looks beast :o the dude on Reddit had a nasty effect and couldn't even completely remove the green part of the rubber

Wait, so this is your rig and the sanding went actually good? Because it looks beast :o the dude on Reddit had a nasty effect and couldn't even completely remove the green part of the rubber

If you would like close-up slots of the cooler itself...I can get it to you so you can make your own judgement..

Edit: Yes it is my rig...those shot were part of my Project

If you would like close-up slots of the cooler itself...I can get it to you so you can make your own judgement..

Edit: Yes it is my rig...those shot were part of my Project

Sure, post... this is the imgur album of the dude, check it... http://imgur.com/a/EeqRs

IMG_5198_zps6ceelmlo.jpg

IMG_5199_zpsgpnusq8o.jpg

IMG_5200_zpsvzsclgob.jpg

IMG_5201_zpszzgvdocc.jpg

IMG_5202_zpsra5flxdo.jpg

Wow, this actually looks very well done ;) so no worries here I believe and I can go ahead and sand my 980Ti :) What grit sandpaper did you use?

Wow, this actually looks very well done ;) so no worries here I believe and I can go ahead and sand my 980Ti :) What grit sandpaper did you use?

IN my opinion, I didn't do that great of a job because I was impatient...you may or may not be able to see it...but there is still some streaks of green left here and there but I was limited to whatever sandpaper I had in the house. 

Patient is key to something like this. Attempt to sand evenly as I didn't and some letter like the 'F', 'T' and 'R' is slightly indented because I sanded a little bit too much.

And I have no idea what grit sandpaper I was using. All it say on it is "Medium" on the back. 

IN my opinion, I didn't do that great of a job because I was impatient...you may or may not be able to see it...but there is still some streaks of green left here and there but I was limited to whatever sandpaper I had in the house. 

Patient is key to something like this. Attempt to sand evenly as I didn't and some letter like the 'F', 'T' and 'R' is slightly indented because I sanded a little bit too much.

And I have no idea what grit sandpaper I was using. All it say on it is "Medium" on the back. 

OK, I will try with various grits, so it wont leave deep scratches :) Many thanks

No problem.

I'll be expecting some photos after your done with the mod in your build log. 

There will be photos definitely :) Tomorrow I will have the front panel finished hopefully, so I will do it all at once :)

• 2 months later...

There will be photos definitely :) Tomorrow I will have the front panel finished hopefully, so I will do it all at once :)

I'd love an update. I have a 980 ti in a red/black build and itching to get rid of this green thumb.

They broke because I was reorganizing my photobucket :P, if you want I can probably fix it

that would be awesome. im staring at my green gtx logo  on my 980ti right now debating if i should just do it.

EDIT:

I actually just went through your photobucket and found the pics. it looks great, any pics with the led lit up?

SUCCESS!!!!!!!!!!
asus 980ti reference card. rubber logo, looks beautiful. I was a little too aggressive around the c and rubbed off some of the blackout, but i just filled it in with a black sharpie and it looks good as (better than) new.

http://imgur.com/a/lmz1o

for the record this is the sanding sponge I used 3M Large Area Sanding Sponge, Extra Fine/Fine, 4.875-Inch by 2.875-Inch by 1-Inch http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00004Z4AR?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_detailpage_o05_s00