Apple quietly launches new iPod lineup

Dietrichw

Sources

Apple

Macrumors

Apple launched new iPods today without showing them on stage at an Apple event which I think is a first. Even the last iPod line up got mushed into an event as filler. Now on to the specs.

ipodtouch1-800x282.jpg

Starting with the iPod touch, It has the same 4 inch display it got in its last version and the body style of the device is also the same with the exception of new colors and the removal of the wrist strap mechanism. Apple went with the soon to be last gen 1.1GHz A8 chip which has the M8 motion co-processor. Apple gave it the latest connectivity tech with AC Wi-Fi and Bluetooth 4.1. The storage options start out the same but have a new addition. 16GB for $199, 32Gb fo $249, 64GB for $299, and the new addition 128GB for $399. Also notice the storage options scale by $50 dollars now rather that $100 as it has been in the past. 

96939e480081683168d2ca55bd2cf520.png

The Nanos and Shuffles only received color changes to match the iPod Touch

The iPod touch will sell mostly as a smart device for kids who don't need a cell phone (me until I started driving) and it could potentially fill the spot of the classic with the 128GB option. Turning off Wifi and bluetooth and using it just for music could get those who travel long flights the battery life they liked in the classic.

The nanos must stop using the ios 6 interface. its fugly

eGPU Setup: Macbook Pro 13" 16GB DDR3 RAM, 512GB SSD, i5 3210M, GTX 980 eGPU

New PC: i7-4790k, Corsair H100iGTX, ASrock Fatal1ty Z97 Killer, 24GB Ram, 850 EVO 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD, GTX 1080 Fractal Design R4, EVGA Supernova G2 650W

what the hell is the point? Thats what phones are for, ipods are 100% useless at this point. You're better off just getting an iphone (yuck)

Actually, no. For the people who don't have the money to spend each month paying for that phone's data, etc. the iPod is perfect.

When you don't want something the size an iPad, but the same functionality you get an iPod touch.

I'm actually excited that they finally did a refresh, but that's just my opinion.

Wanted Build: i5 4690K, Z97-A, Vengeance 16GB, Samsung 256GB SSD, 980TI, Phanteks Enthoo Evolv ATX

Keyboard: Blackwidow Chroma Mouse: G502 Headset: Skullcandy PLYR 2 Phone: Samsung S6 Edge Tablet: iPad 2

Investing in becoming a Logitech fanboi?

I was secretly excited that I could finally replace my 10 year old iPod. I guess not :c

But for those who are after a media device for music and to watch videos. Then the iPod Touch series is a great choice. At least if you do not want to use your phone.

I can agree, ipods are stupid. They use last gen hardware and become slow in a year, batterylife was mostly ass, they are too small and have limited functionality without wifi. Most ipods are bought for kids, but when that kid grows up and is ready for a phone, you have to get a whole new device. I say that getting a moto g or any other sub $250 android phone is a far better option and use it off contract like a ipod.

This is coming frome someone who up until yesterday used a ipod touch 5 as his main device and has used a ipod 4 for 2-3 years and a ipod 5 for 2 years

My Rig  

PCPartPicker part list: http://ca.pcpartpicker.com/p/kGNksY

CPU: Intel Core i7-4770 3.4GHz Quad-Core Processor  ($379.00 @ shopRBC) 

CPU Cooler: RAIJINTEK THEMIS 65.7 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler  ($34.99 @ NCIX) 

Motherboard: MSI CSM-H87M-G43 Micro ATX LGA1150 Motherboard  ($78.83 @ DirectCanada) 

Memory: Kingston HyperX 16GB (4 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory  ($139.99 @ Memory Express) 

Storage: Kingston Fury 120GB 2.5" Solid State Drive  ($71.34 @ DirectCanada) 

Storage: Seagate Barracuda 2TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive  ($92.95 @ Vuugo) 

Video Card: Gigabyte Radeon R9 280X 3GB Video Card  ($298.98 @ Newegg Canada) 

Case: Fractal Design Define R4 w/Window (Black Pearl) ATX Mid Tower Case  ($125.98 @ Newegg Canada) 

Power Supply: Corsair CX 600W 80+ Bronze Certified Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply  ($66.99 @ NCIX) 

Operating System: Microsoft Windows 8.1 - 64-bit (OEM) (64-bit)  ($116.00 @ shopRBC) 

Case Fan: Cougar Turbine 120 (4-Pack) 60.4 CFM 120mm  Fans  ($23.99 @ NCIX) 

Monitor: HP 22xi 60Hz 21.5" Monitor  ($187.11 @ Amazon Canada) 

Keyboard: Logitech G710 Wired Gaming Keyboard  ($114.99 @ NCIX) 

Mouse: Razer DeathAdder 2013 Wired Optical Mouse  ($76.99 @ Amazon Canada) 

Headphones: Kingston HyperX Cloud Pro Headset  ($78.98 @ DirectCanada) 

Total: $2074.22

Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when availableGenerated by PCPartPicker 2015-04-10 15:33 EDT-0400Build log http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/303263-the-dell-from-hell/#entry4121100 

Phone Compassion Spreadsheet https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1EN6s426gyxqPloIqT4wQ7Y7yovkkQy_5B3djVN-N-R8/edit#gid=0

Gta V Pc Online Crew http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/344773-unofficial-linus-tech-tips-gta-v-crew-pc/

Actually, no. For the people who don't have the money to spend each month paying for that phone's data, etc. the iPod is perfect.

When you don't want something the size an iPad, but the same functionality you get an iPod touch.

I'm actually excited that they finally did a refresh, but that's just my opinion.

Yeah I don't have a phone because I dont want to pay every month, but having a portable music player is useful

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

what the hell is the point? Thats what phones are for, ipods are 100% useless at this point. You're better off just getting an iphone (yuck)

You're not thinking about kids

You're not thinking about kids

which...have phones anyways in this day and age for some weird reason

No they're not.

I personally like having an iPod on me to play games and listen to music so I don't have to run down my phone battery life. They're also significantly cheaper and you don't need to buy a cell service to have it run properly.

iPods definitely still have their place in the market.

Dying out though. Who wants to carry two devices at the same time, they both needs charging at some point- it's a hassle.

See my blog for amusing encounters from IT workplace: http://linustechtips.com/main/blog/585-life-of-a-techie/

which...have phones anyways in this day and age for some weird reason

Damned ninja

Ketchup is better than mustard.

GUI is better than Command Line Interface.

Dubs are better than subs

Dying out, sure. It's not all the time - just on long car rides, road trips, when I'm bored. It's not hard carrying two devices. You have two pockets lol

You're right, that's why I got a 64GB SD card in my car radio :D

See my blog for amusing encounters from IT workplace: http://linustechtips.com/main/blog/585-life-of-a-techie/

They are looking really ugly.

If we could just go back to physical buttons again, instead of all of these touch screens :(

I need actual buttons in order to change track and volume while I keep my media player in my pants.

Dying out though. Who wants to carry two devices at the same time, they both needs charging at some point- it's a hassle.

They're dying out, sure. There's still money coming from them, and that's why Apple still has them for sale.

Dying out, sure. It's not all the time - just on long car rides, road trips, when I'm bored. It's not hard carrying two devices. You have two pockets lol

And they're really thin, too. 

I used to carry an android smartphone and an iTouch with me (in a single pocket). The iPod, back then, was just better for music than the €300-ish smartphone I had.

Now, however, I won't even consider buying one again, but just because android phones are finally better music players than the touches, and because they finally make phones with a decent amount of storage. MicroSD's are such a hassle.

"It's a taxi, it has a FARE METER."

Yeah I don't have a phone because I dont want to pay every month, but having a portable music player is useful

Uhm. Mate. Pre-paid plans exist. Just a hint.

Location: Kaunas, Lithuania, Europe, Earth, Solar System, Local Interstellar Cloud, Local Bubble, Gould Belt, Orion Arm, Milky Way, Milky Way subgroup, Local Group, Virgo Supercluster, Laniakea, Pisces–Cetus Supercluster Complex, Observable universe, Universe.

Spoiler

12700, B660M Mortar DDR4, 32GB 3200C16 Viper Steel, 2TB SN570, EVGA Supernova G6 850W, be quiet! 500FX, EVGA 3070Ti FTW3 Ultra.

Uhm. Mate. Pre-paid plans exist. Just a hint.

the low prices for phones like S6 or HC one and others are on contract

If I have to buy a phone im not going to get some cheap thing that lags and is only useful for calls

either all or nothing

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

Thought about buying a shuffle for when I work out. Those arm traps for the iPhone look silly but I hate having a phone juggle around my pocket.

I can agree, ipods are stupid. They use last gen hardware and become slow in a year, batterylife was mostly ass, they are too small and have limited functionality without wifi. Most ipods are bought for kids, but when that kid grows up and is ready for a phone, you have to get a whole new device. I say that getting a moto g or any other sub $250 android phone is a far better option and use it off contract like a ipod.

This is coming frome someone who up until yesterday used a ipod touch 5 as his main device and has used a ipod 4 for 2-3 years and a ipod 5 for 2 years

You are going to have a much better experience on the ipod touch 6(or w/e this new one is) than the moto g for less money too. It has a much better display and processor that is atleast twice as fast as the one in the moto g along with better 3rd party app support. And this is coming from someone who uses Android daily and love it

Finally my Santa hat doesn't look out of place

You are going to have a much better experience on the ipod touch 6(or w/e this new one is) than the moto g for less money too. It has a much better display and processor that is atleast twice as fast as the one in the moto g along with better 3rd party app support. And this is coming from someone who uses Android daily and love it

the ipod 6 wont have a better screen, its a lower resolution and if its the same as the ipod 5, noting special in terms of colors and performance. sure it might be faster, but it is not cheaper, you want atleast 32gb or micro sd, and the ipod 6 base model has neither of those things. and again its not like android and the moto g lack app support, all the popular ones and more are on android 

im not saying the ipod is a bad device, im saying the concept of it is lacking, kids are going to use it for games, watching minecraft videos, and taking selfies. at $250 for a device with decent storage you could get a OPO, idol 3, asus zenfone all of which have comparable features and performance, but have the ability to be a phone too.

My Rig  

PCPartPicker part list: http://ca.pcpartpicker.com/p/kGNksY

CPU: Intel Core i7-4770 3.4GHz Quad-Core Processor  ($379.00 @ shopRBC) 

CPU Cooler: RAIJINTEK THEMIS 65.7 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler  ($34.99 @ NCIX) 

Motherboard: MSI CSM-H87M-G43 Micro ATX LGA1150 Motherboard  ($78.83 @ DirectCanada) 

Memory: Kingston HyperX 16GB (4 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory  ($139.99 @ Memory Express) 

Storage: Kingston Fury 120GB 2.5" Solid State Drive  ($71.34 @ DirectCanada) 

Storage: Seagate Barracuda 2TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive  ($92.95 @ Vuugo) 

Video Card: Gigabyte Radeon R9 280X 3GB Video Card  ($298.98 @ Newegg Canada) 

Case: Fractal Design Define R4 w/Window (Black Pearl) ATX Mid Tower Case  ($125.98 @ Newegg Canada) 

Power Supply: Corsair CX 600W 80+ Bronze Certified Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply  ($66.99 @ NCIX) 

Operating System: Microsoft Windows 8.1 - 64-bit (OEM) (64-bit)  ($116.00 @ shopRBC) 

Case Fan: Cougar Turbine 120 (4-Pack) 60.4 CFM 120mm  Fans  ($23.99 @ NCIX) 

Keyboard: Logitech G710 Wired Gaming Keyboard  ($114.99 @ NCIX) 

Mouse: Razer DeathAdder 2013 Wired Optical Mouse  ($76.99 @ Amazon Canada) 

Headphones: Kingston HyperX Cloud Pro Headset  ($78.98 @ DirectCanada) 

Total: $2074.22

Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when availableGenerated by PCPartPicker 2015-04-10 15:33 EDT-0400Build log http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/303263-the-dell-from-hell/#entry4121100 

Phone Compassion Spreadsheet https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1EN6s426gyxqPloIqT4wQ7Y7yovkkQy_5B3djVN-N-R8/edit#gid=0

Gta V Pc Online Crew http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/344773-unofficial-linus-tech-tips-gta-v-crew-pc/

the low prices for phones like S6 or HC one and others are on contract

If I have to buy a phone im not going to get some cheap thing that lags and is only useful for calls

either all or nothing

$600-$700 is cheap? What do you say for t-mobile users? We have to pay full price for our phones. 

$600-$700 is cheap? What do you say for t-mobile users? We have to pay full price for our phones. 

i looked a few weeks ago and those phones were about $100-200 on contract here in canada...

Spoiler

the ipod 6 wont have a better screen, its a lower resolution and if its the same as the ipod 5, noting special in terms of colors and performance. sure it might be faster, but it is not cheaper, you want atleast 32gb or micro sd, and the ipod 6 base model has neither of those things. and again its not like android and the moto g lack app support, all the popular ones and more are on android 

im not saying the ipod is a bad device, im saying the concept of it is lacking, kids are going to use it for games, watching minecraft videos, and taking selfies. at $250 for a device with decent storage you could get a OPO, idol 3, asus zenfone all of which have comparable features and performance, but have the ability to be a phone too.

You just said it doesn't matter if it is a phone. That was the whole point of this discussion. But the ipod has a better camera, better performance, better storage(please don't mention microsd; it has crap read/write speeds unless you spring for a $70 one. And there's a whole lot of issues with all current android versions and installing apps onto the sd card), a better screen(I've seen the iphone 5 and they use the same screen and its an excellent display), better wireless with a/c support, and a messaging service people actually use, imessage. And for app support, sure both platforms have the same apps, but almost every single time apple's applications have extra features, or run smoother or better. Take snapchat or instagram for example. Hell even some google apps are/were better on ios first. Remember the whole google apple maps fiasco? well ios got the new app first then after a couple months made its way to android.

Finally my Santa hat doesn't look out of place

i looked a few weeks ago and those phones were about $100-200 on contract here in canada...

In the US, we have to pay full price if you are a tmobile user.  It's annoying as hell >_>.