OnePlus Two Camera Review by MKBHD

CtW

So MKBHD has been told by OnePlus to review the camera on the Two.

Judging by the pics, this is definitely one of the best cameras on a smartphone out right now.

Here is the link to the gallery with all of the sample photos he took with the camera: https://plus.google.com/+MarquesBrownlee/posts/N9Wyn5251gw

Here is a comparison album between the Two and the top phones right now:

http://imgur.com/a/eLu4W and http://imgur.com/a/WWFIZ

My opinion: Unless they have the invite system, this might very well be my next phone. These pics seem amazing and the 4k footage does not look like it was shot by an expensive potato.

"Amazing."

-evilarceus

Blue Jay

CPU: Intel Core i7 6700k (OC'd 4.4GHz) Cooler: CM Hyper 212 Evo Mobo: MSI Z170A Gaming Pro Carbon GPU: EVGA GTX 950 SSC RAM: Crucial Ballistix Sport 8GB (1x8GB) SSD: Samsung 850 EVO 250 GB HDD: Seagate Barracuda 1TB Case: NZXT S340 Black/Blue PSU: Corsair CX430M

Other Stuff

Monitor: Acer H236HL BID Mouse: Logitech G502 Proteus Spectrum Keyboard: I don't even know Mouse Pad: SteelSeries QcK Headset: Turtle Beach X12

GitHub

HYPE!

60FPS Microwave

Intel Core i5-4670K | Galax GTX 970 EXOC | ASRock Z97E-ITX/ac | Team Elite 8GB 1600MHz | Gelid Black Edition | Samsung slowdown + WD Blue 1TB x2 | Cooler Master V550 | Corsair K65 + Logitech G100s | MasterCase Pro 3

Yup hopefully the op2 can exceed expectations after all the hype the opo got!

I have the oneplus one, it has a pretty good camera, but damn pretty good

The contrast is way too high and the images are over processed for the Oneplus's phones. While the exposure of G4, iPhone 6 and S6 are all wrong. Looking at the 100% crop, LG G4 has the best details. Why does the iPhone 6 appear to have so much lens flare?

P.S. I use Oneplus one myself. Although never use its camera.

Too bad it hasn't got (probably) optical image stabilization.

When shooting video I feel this is a must have.

But then again. The OnePlus 2 looks like it will be a new "Flagship Killer", so I feel you can't have all the bells and whistles.

I hope Oneplus has learned a thing or two with their first phone. Build quality needs to improve a lot as well as the availability I feel to make them compete at a higher level.

With the new Nexus 5 around the corner it depends on wether Google decides to have their Nexus devices be prize competetive again or not. If they do make the new Nexus 5 competitively prized, then Oneplus could lose popularity if they don't up their game in terms of availability.

NO OIS... I MEAN ARE YOU KIDDING ME?! ITS 2015 YOU GOT USB TYPE C AND FINGER PRINT SCANNER BUT NO OIS?! Is this company mentally handicapped?

• FX-8320  GTX 970  M5A97 R2  Corsair H100I GT  500W PSU  RIPJAWS 8GB DDR3  SAMSUNG 840 EVO 120GB  1TB HDD 

He said the GS6 camera is better than the G4 camera :o 

With the new Nexus 5 around the corner it depends on wether Google decides to have their Nexus devices be prize competetive again or not. If they do make the new Nexus 5 competitively prized, then Oneplus could lose popularity if they don't up their game in terms of availability.

If it turns out to be based on the G4 I wouldn't mind a flagship price.

It kind of bothers me how he went on and on about how it almost always uses F2.0. Phones don't have aperture blades so whichever is their highest aperture is what they will use for everything and it will never change.

Anyway, it seems like an alright camera. It's a shame about the lack of OIS but if the price ends up being significantly lower than other flagship phones then I can forgive them for it (unlike HTC which dropped OIS on their really expensive phones).

Not going to make any conclusions from a single review though.

It kind of bothers me how he went on and on about how it almost always uses F2.0. Phones don't have aperture blades so whichever is their highest aperture is what they will use for everything and it will never change.

I was thinking this too... they are a fixed aperture ... surely he knows that right? he kept speaking as if it could be changed

Desktop - Corsair 300r i7 4770k H100i MSI 780ti 16GB Vengeance Pro 2400mhz Crucial MX100 512gb Samsung Evo 250gb 2 TB WD Green, AOC Q2770PQU 1440p 27" monitor Laptop Clevo W110er - 11.6" 768p, i5 3230m, 650m GT 2gb, OCZ vertex 4 256gb,  4gb ram, Server: Fractal Define Mini, MSI Z78-G43, Intel G3220, 8GB Corsair Vengeance, 4x 3tb WD Reds in Raid 10, Phone Oppo Reno 10x 256gb , Camera Sony A7iii

I have a feeling that the camera he reviewed is actually the oneplus one camera.  I think he might have just graded the camera to make the images look different.  All of the specifications seem exactly the same.  The same aperture and assumably the same sony imx214 sensor!

What do you guys think?

His reviews seem more of a hype game than a review. My ¢2

I have a feeling that the camera he reviewed is actually the oneplus one camera.  I think he might have just graded the camera to make the images look different.  All of the specifications seem exactly the same.  The same aperture and assumably the same sony imx214 sensor!

What do you guys think?

I really doubt he would do that.

OnePlus has also said that the camera is a high priority with the OnePlus 2 so I doubt they will just stick with the same sensor and optics as last gen.

But only time will tell. We will know for sure when the reviews start coming in.

NO OIS... I MEAN ARE YOU KIDDING ME?! ITS 2015 YOU GOT USB TYPE C AND FINGER PRINT SCANNER BUT NO OIS?! Is this company mentally handicapped?

not this company isn't, but i asume that when you have trouble holding still your hands when taking a picture with a phone, you never tried a 200/300mm camera lens without any type of IS.

May the light have your back and your ISO low.

I really doubt he would do that.

OnePlus has also said that the camera is a high priority with the OnePlus 2 so I doubt they will just stick with the same sensor and optics as last gen.

But only time will tell. We will know for sure when the reviews start coming in.

I wouldn't be too surprised considering the rest of the marketing tactics oneplus has been using to hype up this launch.  For example having marques unbox a oneplus package which he said was a oneplus two but was in fact a oneplus cardboard.  Furthermore it does seem that the optics and sensor are the same considering that the resolution and aperture are consistent with last years model.  Maybe they just updated the firmware for the new phone?  Anyways we will eventually see.

Camera seems average? Nothing special about it it seems...

I wonder how the camera compares to the much older Lumia 930 or even older Lumia 1520..

Meh, they don't look that great, the G4 looks to be the best though.

The stars died for you to be here today.

A locked bathroom in the right place can make all the difference in the world.