Why arent there any mass manufactored wooden cases?

kamisis12

wood is extremely flammable, could start a fire if the mobo heats up a lot or something, could be dangerous and wood can be very weak sometimes, could break easily 

Why arent there any mass manufactored wooden cases?

You can do, but wood can be heavy and expensive also tihngs to consider such as grounding and EMI, moisture, and warping/expansion with heat/cold

It would also have to be thicker, etc, since a thin sheet of steel is a lot more robust than a thin sheet of wood

Desktop - Corsair 300r i7 4770k H100i MSI 780ti 16GB Vengeance Pro 2400mhz Crucial MX100 512gb Samsung Evo 250gb 2 TB WD Green, AOC Q2770PQU 1440p 27" monitor Laptop Clevo W110er - 11.6" 768p, i5 3230m, 650m GT 2gb, OCZ vertex 4 256gb,  4gb ram, Server: Fractal Define Mini, MSI Z78-G43, Intel G3220, 8GB Corsair Vengeance, 4x 3tb WD Reds in Raid 10, Phone Oppo Reno 10x 256gb , Camera Sony A7iii

What do you mean grounding and emi? Can I ground it if I wanted? What about heat build up would the material affect that? And really fire hazzard?!!

What do you mean grounding and emi? Can I ground it if I wanted? What about heat build up would the material affect that? And really fire hazzard?!!

How can you ground a wooden case if wood is non-conductive? EMI - electromagnetic impulse... Fire hazard - clearly you never had a reference AMD graphics card :D

dude, its wood, with components that are getting above 70c in most cases, OF COURSE ITS A FIRE HAZARD

Errr... Because it's wood? It's extremely flammable and has shitty heat conductivity. 

Intel i7 7700K | MSI Z270 Gaming M3 | MSI GTX 1070 Gaming X| Corsair Vengeance LPX 2x8GB DDR4 3000Mhz Samsung EVO 850 250GB | WD Blue 1TB | Corsair CS650M | Thermalright Macho Rev. A | NZXT S340

CM Storm Quickfire TK [MX Blues] | Zowie FK1 |  Kingston HyperX Cloud

Lol, with a normal heat output of a pc, it's not hot enough to make the wood combust out of nowhere :D

Myself, I see no reason of having a wooden case. It would be heavy and extremely hard to make.

New to Star Citizen? Look no further!

fire hazard and not to durable plus it would have to have metal unless they got wood screws for components

Lol no fire hazard people

Has to get to about 240 degrees c to burst into flames.

That won't happen

n0ah1897, on 05 Mar 2014 - 2:08 PM, said:  "Computers are like girls. It's whats in the inside that matters.  I don't know about you, but I like my girls like I like my cases. Just as beautiful on the inside as the outside."

Wood expensive per-se...

It also doesn't do a good job in heat dissipation... not to mention the accompanying fire hazard....

If ever I get around to making one, I'll post it... the keyword is "if ever"...

Lol no fire hazard people

Has to get to about 240 degrees c to burst into flames.

That won't happen

Thank you someone for mentioning it....

Y'all need to take metal- and wood-shop in high school lemme tell ya. Wood does not usually catch fire, more so just scars the wood until you get into crazy temperatures (like over 100C) and let it bask in that heat for awhile.

If the wood is raw yeah, but I'm sure there are oils and paint out there with a lot lower combustion point.

True, but this is why you use vegetable oil.

|PSU Tier List /80 Plus Efficiency| PSU stuff if you need it. 

My system: PCPartPicker || For Corsair support tag @Corsair Josephor @Corsair Nick || My 5MT Legacy GT Wagon ||

If the wood is raw yeah, but I'm sure there are oils and paint out there with a lot lower combustion point.

Not really, if something inside your case is hot enough to make the wood catch fire, it was already in flames. It could make a fire worse because there is more material to burn, but how likely is it that your components will catch fire anyway.

dude, its wood, with components that are getting above 70c in most cases, OF COURSE ITS A FIRE HAZARD

Um sorry but no, there is very little risk of fire in a wood case.  The flash point of wood is in the range of 300+ degrees Celcuis.  So unless your PSU catches on fire, there is virtually no fire hazard in a wood PC case.

Some of the other reasons mentioned do sound plausible.  The biggest being cost.  To make it feasible it would likely be a laminated wood product (plywood) with hardwood veneer.  Very do-able for sure, but perhaps a little pricey.  Honestly I think the biggest thing is just that nobody has done it successfully yet.  If Corsair came out with a really well made wooden case, I bet it would sell really well and a lot of other companies would follow suit.

i7 4790k @4.7 | GTX 1070 Strix | Z97 Sabertooth | 32GB  DDR3 2400 mhz | Intel 750 SSD | Define R5 | Corsair K70 | Steel Series Rival | XB271, 1440p, IPS, 165hz | 5.1 Surround
PC Build

Desk Build

Actually our company ran into this last year. The reason why wood isn't used? Export laws. Wood carries pests, even pressure treated and ply variants. Therefore in order to ship it overseas it must sit for several weeks for decontamination.

Not cost friendly in any way, especially since cases are manufactured and shipped on a global scale.

It does make a fun material to build out of though and it is very easy to customise and modify. Heat dissipation doesn't matter if you have good ventilation.

The New Machine: Intel 11700K / Strix Z590-A WIFI II / Patriot Viper Steel 4400MHz 2x8GB / Gigabyte RTX 3080 Gaming OC w/ Bykski WB / x4 1TB SSDs (x2 M.2, x2 2.5) / Corsair 5000D Airflow White / EVGA G6 1000W / Custom Loop CPU & GPU

The Rainbow X58: i7 975 Extreme Edition @4.2GHz, Asus Sabertooth X58, 6x2GB Mushkin Redline DDR3-1600 @2000MHz, SP 256GB Gen3 M.2 w/ Sabrent M.2 to PCI-E, Inno3D GTX 580 x2 SLI w/ Heatkiller waterblocks, Custom loop in NZXT Phantom White, Corsair XR7 360 rad hanging off the rear end, 360 slim rad up top. RGB everywhere.

Main reason why there aren't any mass produced wooden cases is cost.  Plain and simple.

One of my favorite builds was this custom cherry microATX case:

CherrySFF6.jpg

CherrySFF4.jpg

-Rich

Spotswood Computer Cases