FX8350 bottleneck 980ti?

Still performs better. Mostly with BF4.

BF4 is like one of the few games where it makes a difference

// irenebb-pc v5 // [] Intel i5-9400F [] Radeon VII Lisa Su Edition [] 24GB Crucial Ballistix [] Acer ED323QUR (1440p/144hz) []

STILL A DIFFERENCE M8

I'm not sure half the time if you are trolling or just genuinely have no idea what you are talking about

// irenebb-pc v5 // [] Intel i5-9400F [] Radeon VII Lisa Su Edition [] 24GB Crucial Ballistix [] Acer ED323QUR (1440p/144hz) []

I'm not sure half the time if you are trolling or just genuinely have no idea what you are talking about

I'm sorry you can't handle being wrong. 

blackshades on

By your bottleneck logic, an i5 4690k bottlenecks a 980 because an i7 5960x has a higher FPS. lol?

Once again, lower performance != bottlenecking.

Again, you have know clue what the term 'bottlenecking' means in relation to hardware.

"We also blind small animals with cosmetics.
We do not sell cosmetics. We just blind animals."

"Please don't mistake us for Equifax. Those fuckers are evil"

This PSA brought to you by Equifacks.
PMSL

Again, you have know clue what the term 'bottlenecking' means in relation to hardware.

Oh I don't? Explain it to me master.

blackshades on

My 8320 doesn't bottleneck my 760s in SLI. Obviously performance will be lower but it won't be a bottleneck. DX12 will help too.

I'm curious what you think a bottleneck is then...

By your bottleneck logic, an i5 4690k bottlenecks a 980 because an i7 5960x has a higher FPS. lol?

Once again, lower performance != bottlenecking.

Yes. This rarely happens by any remotely significant margin (perhaps in very well-threaded games and at high framerates... like BF4 at the >100 FPS range), but yeah if there's any noteworthy gap between a 4690K and 5960X in games then the 4690K is limiting the performance of the GPU(s) in that scenario.

For example in BF4 my i5-4690K can bottleneck my GTX 760 if I set the resolution to 1280x720, because at that point the framerate reaches a point that the CPU hits its limits and cannot drive any higher, while the GPU is capable (i5-4690k at stock starts struggling in the >100 FPS neighbourhood in BF4 MP)... therefore it's a bottleneck under these scenarios.

There is no magical measure of whether something is a bottleneck based on the inherent power of the CPU or GPU in question... it's entirely dependent on the game, settings and framerate. So this comment of yours makes especially little sense:

It won't if you OC it to 4.8Ghz+

The FX hitting 4.8GHz isn't some threshold between an entry level CPU and a meaty CPU capable of driving the highest end setups.

Intel i5-4690K @ 3.8GHz || Gigabyte Z97X-SLI || 8GB G.Skill Ripjaws X 1600MHz || Asus GTX 760 2GB @ 1150 / 6400 || 128GB A-Data SX900 + 1TB Toshiba 7200RPM || Corsair RM650 || Fractal 3500W

I'm curious what you think a bottleneck is then...

Yes. This rarely happens by any remotely significant margin (perhaps in very well-threaded games and at high framerates... like BF4 at the >100 FPS range), but yeah if there's any noteworthy gap between a 4690K and 5960X in games then the 4690K is limiting the performance of the GPU(s) in that scenario.

For example in BF4 my i5-4690K can bottleneck my GTX 760 if I set the resolution to 1280x720, because at that point the framerate reaches a point that the CPU hits its limits and cannot drive any higher, while the GPU is capable (i5-4690k at stock starts struggling in the >100 FPS neighbourhood in BF4 MP)... therefore it's a bottleneck under these scenarios.

There is no magical measure of whether something is a bottleneck based on the inherent power of the CPU or GPU in question... it's entirely dependent on the game, settings and framerate. So this comment of yours makes especially little sense:

The FX hitting 4.8GHz isn't some threshold between an entry level CPU and a meaty CPU capable of driving the highest end setups.

A bottleneck is when a component cannot be fully utilized due to another component limiting said component. Which leads to lower performance but lower performance does not always equal a bottleneck. That's what I'm saying. 

My 8320 bottlenecks my 760s running stock speeds but does not bottleneck them when overclocked to 4.6Ghz due to better single threaded performance.

blackshades on

A bottleneck is when a component cannot be fully utilized due to another component limiting said component.

And then

Which leads to lower performance but lower performance does not always equal a bottleneck. That's what I'm saying. 

My 8320 bottlenecks my 760s running stock speeds but does not bottleneck them when overclocked to 4.6Ghz due to better single threaded performance.

The bottleneck is simply reduced by a few percent, its still quite present.

I hate trolls.

PMSL

I hate trolls.

How would the bottleneck be reduced and still present when the GPU is being completely utilized after the OC huh?

Do you not understand why FX CPUs bottleneck? Slow singlethreading.

blackshades on

How would the bottleneck be reduced when the GPU is being completely utilized after the OC huh?

You said it yourself that the GPU usage for both of your cards was 95%, which would be the maximum. That doesn't take into account how stable the GPU usage is, if its stable and at 100% constantly then you don't have a bottleneck.

PMSL

You said it yourself that the GPU usage for both of your cards was 95%, which would be the maximum. That doesn't take into account how stable the GPU usage is, if its stable and at 100% constantly then you don't have a bottleneck.

That's what I'm saying. At 3.5Ghz my GPUs are in the 70 - 95% range and bounce around indicating a bottleneck. After the OC this bottleneck is no longer present due to better single threaded performance after OCing which most games need. Static 95 - 100% usage. Only game I had an issue with was FarCry 3 because it was poorly optimized at the time.

blackshades on

I'm sorry you can't handle being wrong. 

lol I've laughed enough for today, see ya tomorrow 

Shit this means my 970 was slightly bottlenecked by my i5 D:

Probably my 980 too

Shit this means my 970 was slightly bottlenecked by my i5 D:

Probably my 980 too

Depends on the game optimization. We seem to have a static view of "lower performance and lower utilization always equals a bottleneck" when that isn't true.

blackshades on

Depends on the game optimization. We seem to have a static view of "lower performance and lower utilization always equals a bottleneck" when that isn't true.

^Doesn't get sarcasm.

PMSL

^Doesn't get sarcasm.

I was assuming his GPUs were lower than 95% utilization after he possibly saw anything under 95% and moving could equal a bottleneck. No /s was included and I don't see how it was really sarcasm

blackshades on

I was assuming his GPUs were lower than 95% utilization after he possibly saw anything under 95% and moving could equal a bottleneck. No /s was included and I don't see how it was really sarcasm

You sir are an idiot.

PMSL

Can someone make a sticky warning about making "Does this Bottleneck???" threads?

Everyone flocks at the chance to have a fight over literally everything instead of helping OP.

ShredderPC V3.5  CPU: Intel i5 3570 | GPU: MSI Radeon R9 390 | Mobo: Intel DB75EN | RAM: 16GB DDR3

ShredderPC X5450  CPU: Intel Xeon X5450 | GPU: Asus Geforce GTX 760 | Mobo: Asus P5G41C-M LX | RAM: 8GB DDR3 1333MHz

You sir are an idiot.

Read the CoC. Enlighten me on how I'm an idiot yet you keep going in circles and can't seem to push forward?

blackshades on

Can someone make a sticky warning about making "Does this Bottleneck???" threads?

Everyone flocks at the chance to have a fight over literally everything instead of helping OP.

This wouldn't be an issue if every pre-pubescent teen didn't follow in line learning from each other with the same static opinions. 

blackshades on

Read the CoC. Enlighten me on how I'm an idiot yet you keep going in circles and can't seem to push forward?

I'm not breaching the CoC.

1. You still don't understand exactly what the term bottleneck means with hardware even after having it described to you in detail.

2. Due to the aforementioned inability to understand what has been said, you missed the sarcasm.

PMSL

I'm not breaching the CoC.

1. You still don't understand exactly what the term bottleneck means with hardware even after having it described to you in detail.

2. Due to the aforementioned inability to understand what has been said, you missed the sarcasm.

I explained what a bottleneck was and you quoted me, you also called me an idiot which is considered flaming and is against the rules. 

blackshades on

^Doesn't get sarcasm.

To be fair, I wasn't being sarcastic I was simply pondering.

Who's the idiot now?

There's misinformed and there's idiots. He is clearly not the latter.

I explained what a bottleneck was and you quoted me, you also called me an idiot which is considered flaming and is against the rules. 

The thing is, that's not the correct definition.

To be fair, I wasn't being sarcastic I was simply pondering.

Who's the idiot now?

There's misinformed and there's idiots. He is clearly not the latter.

He ignored the information put in front of him, and even the Sandybridge i5 don't bottleneck a GTX 980.

PMSL