CPU Voltage rapidly changing effecting performance?

Go to solution Solved by Ialyrn,

You need to buy a new motherboard in all honesty, as that motherboard was never originally designed with the FX-8 in mind. Or any of the current FX chips for that matter. It has the AMD 760G chipset, and you really need something more modern on the 990FX chipset for the CPU that you are using. There have been two other people that I know of on this forum running the same chipset and an FX-8 CPU, and have run into stuttering issues while playing intensive games. The 700 series of chipsets where made in 2007, the current line up of FX CPUS where released in 2012. Not to mention it only has a 4+1 power phase design, which is not good enough to run the FX-8 at its full potential. So even though your temps are ok, and everything will read correct within the bios and even in windows in general. The moment you try to do something intensive like gaming, the system will throttle back the CPU based on the increased power draw of the CPU. It has a TDP of 125 watts.

I've been having a suttering/jolting problem in my game performance. Is this causing it?

I posted another forum about my stuttering: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/404542-stuttering-in-games-cpu-problem/

I think I might know what is causing my in game stuttering. Well, this seems to disturb me.

On AMD Overdrive, it gives current voltage and Target voltage. My CPU VID voltage changes all the time while my other voltages stay the same. On the other fourm, people said my stuttering problem was the mobo not 'dishing' enough power to my CPU, therefor needing a new motherboard.

Is the voltage meant to keep changing?

On the top right there is the voltage of my CPU. Is CPU VID my CPU voltage? 

Is my voltage meant to rapidly change?

CHUu07C.png

Oh, the good old days of playing with OverDrive. I remember that!

What are your load temps like? Sounds like thermal throttling more than anything.

Sig under construction.

Oh, the good old days of playing with OverDrive. I remember that!

What are your load temps like? Sounds like thermal throttling more than anything.

My temps are fine. It just keeps on rapidly changing. 

My temps on idle are around 20 degrees celcious. Loading time is about 30 degress celecious. On games it MAX goes to around 50. I've done thermal checks.

Temps:

hqXi4Qh.png

So my CPU should not be changing rapidly like this?

What motherboard do you have?

"It pays to keep an open mind, but not so open your brain falls out." - Carl Sagan.

"I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you" - Edward I. Koch

My temps are fine. It just keeps on rapidly changing. 

My temps on idle are around 20 degrees celcious. Loading time is about 30 degress celecious. On games it MAX goes to around 50. I've done thermal checks.

So my CPU should not be changing rapidly like this?

I'm not sure whether to trust those temps or not. What program are you getting temps from? OverDrive or something else? FX chips are known to not give correct temps.

It shouldn't be doing that. Do you have any sort of EPU program running?

Sig under construction.

Wablammo:

VagDbDv.png

Sig under construction.

78LMT-USB3.

---

I'm not sure whether to trust those temps or not. What program are you getting temps from? OverDrive or something else? FX chips are known to not give correct temps.

It shouldn't be doing that. Do you have any sort of EPU program running?

The temps are right because I installed a very good aftermarket heatsink and cooler. Coolmaster hyper evo 212.

Trust me, its not thermal throttling. I've had this problem for 6 months.

People say its something to do with my mobo not giving the right amount of voltage? Or is the PSU wattage too small?

disable amd cool n quiet

Mainboard Asrock Z170 OCF CPU 6700k RAM Tridentz 3600 HDD Intel 730 240gb GPU GTX 780ti sc acx PSU Silverstone Strider 1200W  Case Antec 900 Laptop Lenovo Thinkpad T520 build log-   http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/35809-antec-900-the-re-birth-of-a-legend/ Check out the Tech Center https://www.youtube.com/user/prokon24/videos LTT's Unicore King

I don't really like the board's VRM for an 8350.

"It pays to keep an open mind, but not so open your brain falls out." - Carl Sagan.

disable amd cool n quiet

Is that in the BIOS?

I don't really like the board's VRM for an 8350.

Could you explain what VRM is? On the other fourm poeple said that was a problem with my CPU? Is my CPU not working probley due to my motherboard?

Is that in the BIOS?

yes it is

typically under cpu features tab

Mainboard Asrock Z170 OCF CPU 6700k RAM Tridentz 3600 HDD Intel 730 240gb GPU GTX 780ti sc acx PSU Silverstone Strider 1200W  Case Antec 900 Laptop Lenovo Thinkpad T520 build log-   http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/35809-antec-900-the-re-birth-of-a-legend/ Check out the Tech Center https://www.youtube.com/user/prokon24/videos LTT's Unicore King

Could you explain what VRM is? On the other fourm poeple said that was a problem with my CPU? Is my CPU not working probley due to my motherboard?

VRM needs for Voltage Regulation Module. It's what converts the 12V current coming from your power supply to say 1.25V for the CPU to use. From what I can see, the VRM might be having trouble feeding the CPU with power thus causing voltage drop-offs.

VRM needs for Voltage Regulation Module. It's what converts the 12V current coming from your power supply to say 1.25V for the CPU to use. From what I can see, the VRM might be having trouble feeding the CPU with power thus causing voltage drop-offs.

That's what I've been thinking. However, how do you know that a motherboard has the correct VRM for your rig?

That's what I've been thinking. However, how do you know that a motherboard has the correct VRM for your rig?

If you have a power hungry CPU(Which the 8350 is), you want at least a quality 8+2 power phase. It should be advertised on the board page. However, they might be kind of expensive and that money could used instead to purchase say a cheap Intel Core i5 and cheap motherboard which would feed the CPU just fine.

If you have a power hungry CPU(Which the 8350 is), you want at least a quality 8+2 power phase. It should be advertised on the board page. However, they might be kind of expensive and that money could used instead to purchase say a cheap Intel Core i5 and cheap motherboard which would feed the CPU just fine.

Could you give me an example of a motherboard that would suit an intel processor?

Could you give me an example of a motherboard that would suit an intel processor?

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813132120

How do I know the VRM on that board will support an i5?  

Intel CPUs are a lot less power hungry than AMD CPUs.

Intel CPUs are a lot less power hungry than AMD CPUs.

Alright. Thank you for your help.   I guess I should conclude the stuttering problem with my Motherboards VRM.

Would you agree?

Thank you

Alright. Thank you for your help.   I guess I should conclude the stuttering problem with my Motherboards VRM.

Would you agree?

Thank you

Well first, do you have any power saving features enabled? And what is Windows set to in the Power Options?

Well first, do you have any power saving features enabled? And what is Windows set to in the Power Options?

Not that I know of.     Windows is set to: Balanced

Not that I know of.     Windows is set to: Balanced

Set it to High Performance and see what happens.

Set it to High Performance and see what happens.

I will do that and change cool and quiet off in the bios and also check if there is an power saving options.

I reply back once I've done that

You need to buy a new motherboard in all honesty, as that motherboard was never originally designed with the FX-8 in mind. Or any of the current FX chips for that matter. It has the AMD 760G chipset, and you really need something more modern on the 990FX chipset for the CPU that you are using. There have been two other people that I know of on this forum running the same chipset and an FX-8 CPU, and have run into stuttering issues while playing intensive games. The 700 series of chipsets where made in 2007, the current line up of FX CPUS where released in 2012. Not to mention it only has a 4+1 power phase design, which is not good enough to run the FX-8 at its full potential. So even though your temps are ok, and everything will read correct within the bios and even in windows in general. The moment you try to do something intensive like gaming, the system will throttle back the CPU based on the increased power draw of the CPU. It has a TDP of 125 watts.