Jolla to be splitup in hardware and software company

Xerohumoris

Jolla Ltd., the Finnish mobile company and developer of open mobile operating system Sailfish OS, today announced a change in its company structure and management as further action toward company’s strategy to focus on Sailfish OS licensing and development.

The official press release. (PDF)

Speculation. Are they doing this to give Nokia the chance to help with the production of new devices? They can start production again in januari of 2016. Both company's are Finish and Jolla is a startup that came from Nokia employees.

*shrugs*

Desktop - Corsair 300r i7 4770k H100i MSI 780ti 16GB Vengeance Pro 2400mhz Crucial MX100 512gb Samsung Evo 250gb 2 TB WD Green, AOC Q2770PQU 1440p 27" monitor Laptop Clevo W110er - 11.6" 768p, i5 3230m, 650m GT 2gb, OCZ vertex 4 256gb,  4gb ram, Server: Fractal Define Mini, MSI Z78-G43, Intel G3220, 8GB Corsair Vengeance, 4x 3tb WD Reds in Raid 10, Phone Oppo Reno 10x 256gb , Camera Sony A7iii

Never heard of them to be honest. Where is Sailfish on being used?

It;s a mobile OS based on Mer (Meego like). But Jolla only sells in Europe and Asia for now (band issues). But they are launching a tablet this month that will be soled in the US and Canada.

There tablet was funded by the biggest Indigogo campaign  till this date.

Crap. I really wanted them to do well, but major restructurings are rarely a sign of anything good.
Well, at least Ubuntu phone has found a place on one decent phone.

Crap. I really wanted them to do well, but major restructurings are rarely a sign of anything good.

[...]

Depends on the reason to restructure. I do really think this is the best for Sailfish OS. For the simple reason that the OS will be easier to license to other vendors/countries. Russia has show interest in making Sailfish the countries official mobile OS.

Hardware is hard to make, can it be in the name? By spliiting this off the hardware part of Jolla can be very interested for other companies how are thinking of releasing new hardware, aka Nokia.

They are splitting up on paper. But I think they will still be really good friends. Maybe even both part of the same cooperation. In that case it will just be a splitting of funds. A lot off companies do that to lover the taxes they have to pay. I know that in some countries tax-rates vary depending on if your making a product (phones) or providing a service (software).

Who knows what the real reason is. I just hope they both will keep making a great product.

Here's a quick video about their new tablet for those who haven't heard of Jolla before. Personally I love the OS, have had their phone since the launch day (December 2013).