3-way GTX 980 SLI issue.

Good afternoon all.

So I have been stalking Linustechtips on YouTube and finally found the time to create an account and make a post on here, so thanks for having me!

The problem I'm having with my setup is that only 2 of my 3 GTX 980's are working. I've listed my parts below.

Mobo: Asus Rampage IV Black Edition - LGA 2011
CPU - Intel i7 3930k @ 4.8 ghz
Ram: 32gb Corsair Dominator Platinum 2133 mhz
GPU: 3 way sli Asus Strix 980s (for some reason only 2 work, hopefully to be fixed soon)
PSU: Corsair AX1200 w/ white Corsair Sleeved Cables
SSD #1: 1tb Samsung 850 Evo
SSD #2: 180gb Intel 520 SSD - Scratch drive for encoding some gaming videos.
Mass Storage: WD 1TB Green
Case: 900d
Fans: 15 EK Vardar F3 Static Pressure Fans
Cooling:
-2x XSPC 480mm V3 radiators
-140mm XSPC Pump/Res Combo
-Fluid: Mayhem's Pastel White Fluid
-3 slot 3 way sli Serial Terminal Bridge
-Bitspower compression fittings, Bitspower T-splitter w/ Bitspower Valve for Draining, Bitspower Quick Disconnect.
-EK Nickel Plexi water blocks for all 3 GPU's w/ Chrome Back plates
-EK Supremacy Evo Nickel Plexi

The strange thing is that the problematic card was fine upon first install, it only started becoming an issue after running Unigine Heaven benchmark. During an initial test, the screen went black and nothing happened. I had to force a power off and then power it back on.

Here are things I've tried:

-I've tried reinstalling the GPU drivers multiple times. This worked once where all 3 GPU's were able to be SLI'd and utilized. Upon next boot, the problematic GPU was still recognized, but it had windows code 43. 

-I've tried switching cards around in different PCIE slots thinking that was the problem, the problematic GPU is recognized, but still has windows code 43.

-I've tried different power cables from the PSU, the original cables that came with my PSU, mod my cables, and the sleeved cables directly from Corsair. None resolved the issues I'm having.

-I ordered a 4th GPU waterblock and backplate thinking for some reason it might have caused an issue, and it did not seem to resolve the problem, but I've gotten pretty good at installing water blocks lol.

-Lastly I've tried forcing the Motherboard to boot by only using the problematic GPU by turning off the other PCIE lanes, My motherboard displays a boot code of b2 and the VGA_LED lights up and the computer refuses to boot. The reason code b2 relates to a PCH runtime services error and the board refuses to boot.

So here comes the $500 question, should I assume the GPU is dead and go about replacing it, or is there any other possible solutions that someone can think of?

Thanks and have a great day,

Matt.

PS. Disregard the cluttered cabling and the out of place quick disconnect attachment coming out of the top 480. I put it on to help with dealing with the tubing while troubleshooting this gpu issue and ignore the zip-tie that is helping to attach the rad/res combo to the hard drives cages. I'm in the process of making bracket's to tidy it up.

post-242128-0-16273900-1436118388_thumb.

Sounds like a dead gpu RMA

Thats that. If you need to get in touch chances are you can find someone that knows me that can get in touch.

Sounds indeed dead, try to RMA it.

If you want my attention, quote meh! D: or just stick an @samcool55 in your post :3

Spying on everyone to fight against terrorism is like shooting a mosquito with a cannon

Will ASUS allow me to RMA a card after removing the stock heatsink and apply a waterblock? Most of my research has been saying no. 

The warranty will not apply if:

1. the product has been tampered, repaired and/or modified by non-authorized personnel;
  2. the serial number has been altered, cancelled or removed;
  3. the warranty seals have been broken or altered;
  4. there is damage caused by accident, natural disaster, intentional or accidental misuse, abuse, neglect or improper maintenance, or use under abnormal conditions;
  5. there is damage caused by an external electrical fault or any accident;
  6. there is damage from use outside of the operation or storage parameters or environment detailed in the User's Manual;
  7. there is damage from use of parts not manufactured or sold by ASUSTeK.
  8. there is damage from third party software or from virus(es);
  9. there is software loss or data loss that may occur during repair or replacement.

Will ASUS allow me to RMA a card after removing the stock heatsink and apply a waterblock? Most of my research has been saying no. 

The warranty will not apply if:

1. the product has been tampered, repaired and/or modified by non-authorized personnel;
  2. the serial number has been altered, cancelled or removed;
  3. the warranty seals have been broken or altered;
  4. there is damage caused by accident, natural disaster, intentional or accidental misuse, abuse, neglect or improper maintenance, or use under abnormal conditions;
  5. there is damage caused by an external electrical fault or any accident;
  6. there is damage from use outside of the operation or storage parameters or environment detailed in the User's Manual;
  7. there is damage from use of parts not manufactured or sold by ASUSTeK.
  8. there is damage from third party software or from virus(es);
  9. there is software loss or data loss that may occur during repair or replacement.

Did you remove any stickers when you took off the stock heatsink? if so then you likely wont be able to rma it. 

Cpu: Ryzen 2700 @ 4.0Ghz | Motherboard: Hero VI x370 | Gpu: EVGA RTX 2080 | Cooler: Custom Water loop | Ram: 16GB Trident Z 3000MHz

PSU: RM650x + Braided cables | Case:  painted Corsair c70 | Monitor: MSI 1440p 144hz VA | Drives: 500GB 850 Evo (OS)

Laptop: 2014 Razer blade 14" Desktop: http://imgur.com/AQZh2sj , http://imgur.com/ukAXerd

When you remove the backplate and heatsink, One of the four screws that attaches the heatsink to the PCB has a red/white sticker on it. I'm going to assume that since I removed that screw and now the sticker has an indent in it from my screw driver I'm kinda SOL. I've give it a try anyway and see what happens.

When you remove the backplate and heatsink, One of the four screws that attaches the heatsink to the PCB has a red/white sticker on it. I'm going to assume that since I removed that screw and now the sticker has an indent in it from my screw driver I'm kinda SOL. I've give it a try anyway and see what happens.

Looks like you might have to throw it in the oven.

Just send it and if they ask why it's damaged you can explain it.

I mean you have pics of your rig to maybe show as evidence it's used as it should be.

If you want my attention, quote meh! D: or just stick an @samcool55 in your post :3

Spying on everyone to fight against terrorism is like shooting a mosquito with a cannon