Need help chooseing a graphics card

bacon

Hello,

So i need a good graphics card to power my new 144hz monitor, and my budget is $500 CAN and under. I have looked into the gtx 970s and i think there great so i'm leaning to that side but i also have found a used r9 290x for $300 and in great condition and has only been used for an hour i can go see it to see if it works correctly and everything. so my question is is the GTX 970 worth the extra $200

So i need a good graphics card to power my new 144hz monitor, and my budget is $500 CAN and under. I have looked into the gtx 970s and i think there great so i'm leaning to that side but i also have found a used r9 290x for $300 and in great condition and has only been used for an hour i can go see it to see if it works correctly and everything. so my question is is the GTX 970 worth the extra $200

What 290X model specifically? Reference or aftermarket?

"Rawr XD"

It depends on what you would be using this computer for and what games you would be using, gpuboss has a good runthrough on these cards: http://gpuboss.com/gpus/Radeon-R9-290X-vs-GeForce-GTX-970

But this is the more important part:

Never, Ever use GPU/CPUboss, It is Horrible for comparing stuff.

Use Passmark instead. https://www.passmark.com/

My Gaming PC

|| CPU: Intel i5 4690@4.3Ghz || GPU: Dual ASUS gtx 1080 Strix. || RAM: 16gb (4x4gb) Kingston HyperX Genesis 1600Mhz. || Motherboard: MSI Z97S Krait edition. || OS: Win10 Pro

Trust me, Im an Engineer

THANK YOU!

CPU: Amd fx 8120 3.9ghz...Motherboard: Asus m5a97 evo R:2.0...RAM: 8gb 1600 kingston hyperx blu...GPU: XFX R9 280x ...CASE: Nzxt h440...

HDD: Kingston adata ssd 500 gigs, wd blue 500gb...PSU: Corsair gs700...Monitors: Asus vk222h Cooler: Noctua nh-d14...Keyboard:coolermaster masterkeys m...Mouse: logitech g300...Headphones: Logitech g430

also to note that the used r9 290x does not have a warrenty

its reference 

The R9 290x's reference cooler is horrible, It sounds like a leafblower and it is not rare for it to get to 80-90 degrees C.

My Gaming PC

|| CPU: Intel i5 4690@4.3Ghz || GPU: Dual ASUS gtx 1080 Strix. || RAM: 16gb (4x4gb) Kingston HyperX Genesis 1600Mhz. || Motherboard: MSI Z97S Krait edition. || OS: Win10 Pro

Trust me, Im an Engineer

$200 more?

Someone fill me in I bought my Non Reference 970 for $315 total. And it came with 2 games like 4 months ago.

The 290x was around the same price.

Or Anandtech. :)http://www.anandtech.com/bench/

Spoiler

Senor Shiny: Main- CPU Intel i7 6700k 4.7GHz @1.42v | RAM G.Skill TridentZ CL16 3200 | GPU Asus Strix GTX 1070 (2100/2152) | Motherboard ASRock Z170 OC Formula | HDD Seagate 1TB x2 | SSD 850 EVO 120GB | CASE NZXT S340 (Black) | PSU Supernova G2 750W  | Cooling NZXT Kraken X62 w/Vardars
Secondary (Plex): CPU Intel Xeon E3-1230 v3 @1.099v | RAM Samsun Wonder 16GB CL9 1600 (sadly no oc) | GPU Asus GTX 680 4GB DCII | Motherboard ASRock H97M-Pro4 | HDDs Seagate 1TB, WD Blue 1TB, WD Blue 3TB | Case Corsair Air 240 (Black) | PSU EVGA 600B | Cooling GeminII S524

Spoiler

(Deceased) DangerousNotDell- CPU AMD AMD FX 8120 @4.8GHz 1.42v | GPU Asus GTX 680 4GB DCII | RAM Samsung Wonder 8GB (CL9 2133MHz 1.6v) | Motherboard Asus Crosshair V Formula-Z | Cooling EVO 212 | Case Rosewill Redbone | PSU EVGA 600B | HDD Seagate 1TB

DangerousNotDell New Parts For Main Rig Build Log, Señor Shiny  I am a beautiful person. The comments for your help. I have to be a good book. I have to be a good book. I have to be a good book.

Why is this in hot deals?

CPU: i7-4790K --- HEATSINK: NZXT Kraken X61 --- MOBO: Asus Z97-A --- GPU: GTX 970 Strix --- RAM: 16GB ADATA XPG --- SSD: 512GB MX100 | 256GB BX200 HDD: 1TB WD Black --- PSU: EVGA SuperNova G2 --- CASE: NZXT H440 --- DISPLAY3 x Dell U2414H --- KEYBOARD: Pok3r (Clears) --- MOUSE: Logitech G Pro --- OS: Windows 10

Found a used Gigabyte R9 290X aftermarket for less than $400 CAD on eBay. Just search it on eBay Canada.

$200 more?

Someone fill me in I bought my Non Reference 970 for $315 total. And it came with 2 games like 4 months ago.

The 290x was around the same price.

After tax the gtx 970 comes close to $500 CAN

Should probably consider going back to school first and learning how to spell :P

There are 10 types of people in the world: those who understand binary numbers and those who don’t

bulgara, oh nono

Multipass

If you've considered buying a used 290x, why not a used 970? They go for around $350 CAD.

I just bought a BNIB EVGA 970 with the ACX cooler for $330 last week and I was able to register it for a full 3 year warranty

3770k, Asrock Extreme 4, 16GB Dominator Plat, AX760i, 250GB BX100, 1.5TB Seagate, Win 7 Home Prem 

If you've considered buying a used 290x, why not a used 970? They go for around $350 CAD.

I just bought a BNIB EVGA 970 with the ACX cooler for $330 last week and I was able to register it for a full 3 year warranty

Because although the 290X produces more heat and draws more power, it offers same or better performance at a cheaper price point:

http://www.techpowerup.com/reviews/MSI/GTX_970_Gaming/

Because although the 290X produces more heat and draws more power, it offers same or better performance at a cheaper price point:

http://www.techpowerup.com/reviews/MSI/GTX_970_Gaming/

While that's true, the main argument made above was that it wasn't worth an extra $200(or even $100 imo). However at around an extra $30-50, its a worthwhile consideration depending on how much he values silence/heat output. Not the mention that the 970 will hold its value much better compared to the 290x

3770k, Asrock Extreme 4, 16GB Dominator Plat, AX760i, 250GB BX100, 1.5TB Seagate, Win 7 Home Prem