22 Massachusetts towns will build their own gigabit internet service (Via Endagadget)

13CA350

The FCC made it clear that towns should have the freedom to build their own broadbandservices, and one cooperative group is determined to take advantage of that liberty. WiredWest has gained the support of 22 Massachusetts towns for a municipal broadband effort that will give them all fiber optic service. It won't be the cheapest option, but it'll be much faster than the pokey DSL, fixed wireless and satellite data that residents have had to settle for in the past. It'll start at $49 per month for 25Mbps speeds and no caps, with 100Mbps and a lightning-quick 1Gbps respectively available for $79 and $109 per month.

I wish my town was included. In most of Massachusetts Comcast, Time Warner, Dish, Direct TV, and Verizon (Fiber optic) are the only options, and Verizion isn't available in most areas. The projected prices are much cheaper than most of those services and much faster as well.

ORIGINAL LINK: http://www.engadget.com/2015/07/02/22-massachusetts-towns-work-on-gigabit-fiber/

I just switched to WOW internet for $20 a month for 30/5 for 12 months, then $25. Doesn't sound better unless you NEED all that speed.

CPU: Intel I7 4790k @ 4.6Ghz 1.255v | GPU: Gigabyte G1 Gaming GTX 980 Ti | Display: Acer XB270HU bprz | RAM: 16GB (4x4GB) Gskill Ripjaws X 1866MHz | CPU Cooler: H80i | Motherboard: MSI Z97 Gaming 5 | SSD: Mushkin 120GB + Sandisk 480GB | HDD: WD Blue 1TB | Case: Enthoo Pro |PSU: Seaconic M12II EVO 850w | OS: Windows 10 64-Bit | Mouse: Logitech RGB G502 | Keyboard: Thermaltake Poseidon Z (Brown Switches) | 

Sucks that these are only western MA towns. I would kill for some good service in the greater Boston area. Currently getting raped in the butt by Comcast.

Git Gud.

Holy shit we really are just stealing news from the front page of reddit.

eGPU Setup: Macbook Pro 13" 16GB DDR3 RAM, 512GB SSD, i5 3210M, GTX 980 eGPU

New PC: i7-4790k, Corsair H100iGTX, ASrock Fatal1ty Z97 Killer, 24GB Ram, 850 EVO 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD, GTX 1080 Fractal Design R4, EVGA Supernova G2 650W

Holy shit we really are just stealing news from the front page of reddit.

Theres still news being posted there? I thought that shit was going down hard at the moment...

Core i7 4820K  |  NH-D14 | Rampage IV Extreme | Asus R9 280X DC2T | 8GB G.Skill TridentX | 120GB Samsung 840 | NZXT H440  |  Be quiet! Dark Power Pro 10 650W

Theres still news being posted there? I thought that shit was going down hard at the moment...

post-88470-0-15263500-1435942504.png

eGPU Setup: Macbook Pro 13" 16GB DDR3 RAM, 512GB SSD, i5 3210M, GTX 980 eGPU

New PC: i7-4790k, Corsair H100iGTX, ASrock Fatal1ty Z97 Killer, 24GB Ram, 850 EVO 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD, GTX 1080 Fractal Design R4, EVGA Supernova G2 650W

Yep . . . My town would be one of those. Too bad it'll probably take forever to install fiber lines. Currently only have one option which is Verizon. Oh well.

Aww, not eastern MA? That's a shame.

I'm so jelly.

ROG X570-F Strix AMD R9 5900X | EK Elite 360 | EVGA 3080 FTW3 Ultra | G.Skill Trident Z Neo 64gb | Samsung 980 PRO 
ROG Strix XG349C Corsair 4000 | Bose C5 | ROG Swift PG279Q

Logitech G810 Orion Sennheiser HD 518 |  Logitech 502 Hero

I just switched to WOW internet for $20 a month for 30/5 for 12 months, then $25. Doesn't sound better unless you NEED all that speed.

Need 50Mbps for 4K videos and then anything after that is for video conferencing or download junkies. Some people also need a higher upload if they stream or are in a business and need to upload large files. There's also the convenience factor of downloading whatever you want, whenever you want, as opposed to leaving your computer on all night to download a large file, such as a game.

I love close to one of the towns but no dice xD would have been great to see them here.

Meanwhile, in Virginia

%D0%9A%D0%B0%D0%BC%D0%B5%D0%BD%D0%BD%D1%

God I wish I could dump century link. During peak hours I get throttled so bad that I can't watch a youtube video in 480p without it stopping to buffer every few seconds.

Ketchup is better than mustard.

GUI is better than Command Line Interface.

Dubs are better than subs

Need 50Mbps for 4K videos and then anything after that is for video conferencing or download junkies. Some people also need a higher upload if they stream or are in a business and need to upload large files. There's also the convenience factor of downloading whatever you want, whenever you want, as opposed to leaving your computer on all night to download a large file, such as a game.

If WOW can service you, Their 60Mbps and 110Mbps (they dont have a 100Mbps plan) are both $10 cheaper per month than this new isp. With 30Mbps down, you download a 50GB game in 3 hours... I REALLY don't see why people buy CONSUMER internet services and use them as if they were BUSINESS connections, and then complain about it.

Only thing that's worth it is the 1Gbps speed, but I wonder about the fine print dealing with peek hours, monthly download soft-caps, etc.

CPU: Intel I7 4790k @ 4.6Ghz 1.255v | GPU: Gigabyte G1 Gaming GTX 980 Ti | Display: Acer XB270HU bprz | RAM: 16GB (4x4GB) Gskill Ripjaws X 1866MHz | CPU Cooler: H80i | Motherboard: MSI Z97 Gaming 5 | SSD: Mushkin 120GB + Sandisk 480GB | HDD: WD Blue 1TB | Case: Enthoo Pro |PSU: Seaconic M12II EVO 850w | OS: Windows 10 64-Bit | Mouse: Logitech RGB G502 | Keyboard: Thermaltake Poseidon Z (Brown Switches) | 

Meanwhile, in Virginia

God I wish I could dump century link. During peak hours I get throttled so bad that I can't watch a youtube video in 480p without it stopping to buffer every few seconds.

In Virginia however I have FIOS. Having said since the net neutrality ruling Netflix sometimes doesn't work at all and speed has been all over the place. Just my paranoia I hope.

In Virginia however I have FIOS. Having said since the net neutrality ruling Netflix sometimes doesn't work at all and speed has been all over the place. Just my paranoia I hope.

Verizon would say "well that's network congestion". To which one would respond "fix your fucking network you lazy cheap assholes".

Ketchup is better than mustard.

GUI is better than Command Line Interface.

Dubs are better than subs

Nah, they will say Quantum will fix everything. I like the service I just really dislike the money racket on the cable boxes. I wish someone would address that little bit.

Really wish something like this would come over to east Mass, we need something to disrupt the Comcast monopoly. Maybe get them to get off their lazy asses and actually improve their network instead of sitting idle and complaining about how expensive it is to upgrade their network.

'merica the land of technology you are so sad, if i were 1 day president id force a law that all the networks must be upgraded to 1Gbps for <50$ month or get fines.

The world needs more dictatorship to get shit done.

Unless my town of Leominster, Ma gets this I don't want to hear about it. Lucky bastards 

'merica the land of technology you are so sad, if i were 1 day president id force a law that all the networks must be upgraded to 1Gbps for <50$ month or get fines.

Um....no it doesn't? 

Unless my town of Leominster, Ma gets this I don't want to hear about it. Lucky bastards 

Yeah I was hoping Fitchburg would be on that list but I had a feeling it wasn't gonna be...

CPU: Ryzen R7 1700X Motherboard: ASRock X370 Gaming K4 CPU Cooler: Corsair H60 RAM: Crucial 32GB 12400Mhz GPU: Zotac GTX 1080 AMP! Edition

SSD: PNY 240GB HDD: Toshiba 3TB 7200RPM PSU: EVGA 1000 GQ Case: NZXT S340 Display: Dell P2416D

Camera: Samsung NX1 Audio: Tascam DR-40 Mic: Rode NTG2

Interface: Focusrite 18i20 Monitors: Event 20/20's Mic: Blue Bluebird DAW: Steinberg's Cubase 7.5, Adobe Audition CC

Guitar: MIM Fender Stratocaster Amp: Peavey Classic Chorus 212 Pedals: Dunlop High Gain Volume, Big Muff Germanium Pi, Boss DD-3 Delay, Roland Tuner

Meanwhile, in Virginia

At least they have learned to try the tools, right? :P

Unless I was the dictator, no, no it doesn't.

|  The United Empire of Earth Wants You | The Stormborn (ongoing build; 90% done)  |  Skyrim Mods Recommendations  LTT Blue Forum Theme! | Learning Russian! Blog |
|"They got a war on drugs so the police can bother me.”Tupac Shakur  | "Half of writing history is hiding the truth"Captain Malcolm Reynolds | "Museums are racist."Michelle Obama | "Slap a word like "racist" or "nazi" on it and you'll have an army at your back."MSM Logic | "A new command I give you: love one another. As I have loved you, so you must love one another"Jesus Christ | "I love the Union and the Constitution, but I would rather leave the Union with the Constitution than remain in the Union without it."Jefferson Davis |