Gamers claim Elite: Dangerous graphics have been watered down

ahhming

It doesn't take a side by side to see that the textures are worse, but if you insist:

Python_Screenshot_6.jpg

ship-coredynamics-eagle3.jpg

(I'm aware those were completely different ships, but the one below, the anaconda, is the same ship as in the "downgraded" photo")

hsYbC7x.png

1xapF5c.jpg

Dear God, why can NO ONE provide proper side by side comparison screen shots? Those screen shots are so wildly different, I wouldn't be able to tell if there was a downgrade even if they reduced texture resolution to an obvious degree.

Show me a screen shot IDENTICAL to the one you keep posting that "shows" the downgraded" texture. That front on-nose screen shot. Show me the same shot, the same angle, at the same distance, with the same lighting. Otherwise, the comparison is invalid, because other factors can influence your opinion of the shot, making one seem better or worse, even if they are identical.

Now, to be fair, I'm not saying it's not been downgraded. But I've yet to see a proper screenshot comparison that actually verifies this. Is that so hard to do?

Edited by Whiskers
Edited to clean thread.

For Sale: Meraki Bundle

iPhone Xr 128 GB Product Red - HP Spectre x360 13" (i5 - 8 GB RAM - 256 GB SSD) - HP ZBook 15v G5 15" (i7-8850H - 16 GB RAM - 512 GB SSD - NVIDIA Quadro P600)

Dear God, why can NO ONE provide proper side by side comparison screen shots? Those screen shots are so wildly different, I wouldn't be able to tell if there was a downgrade even if they reduced texture resolution to an obvious degree.

Show me a screen shot IDENTICAL to the one you keep posting that "shows" the downgraded" texture. That front on-nose screen shot. Show me the same shot, the same angle, at the same distance, with the same lighting. Otherwise, the comparison is invalid, because other factors can influence your opinion of the shot, making one seem better or worse, even if they are identical.

Now, to be fair, I'm not saying it's not been downgraded. But I've yet to see a proper screenshot comparison that actually verifies this. Is that so hard to do?

the reason no one can is because they generally don't exsist. no one expected this so no one prepped for it. and that front end screen shot is a lot worse than what the textures used to look like. I've had the game since Beta and it never looked that bad. Edited by Whiskers
Edited to clean thread

the reason no one can is because they generally don't exsist. no one expected this so no one prepped for it. and that front end screen shot is a lot worse than what the textures used to look like. I've had the game since Beta and it never looked that bad.

I mean, I assume it's way more obvious in-game for those who have had the game since Beta, but you'll have to forgive those of us who are going just on Screen Shots alone, when no one can provide proper side-by-side shots that have the same lighting or angle.

Lighting and the angle is so crucial to how well an object looks, that I'm just pointing out, taking two identical scenes, and just changing the angle so the lighting is different, can cause one to look "higher quality", despite being identical.

For Sale: Meraki Bundle

iPhone Xr 128 GB Product Red - HP Spectre x360 13" (i5 - 8 GB RAM - 256 GB SSD) - HP ZBook 15v G5 15" (i7-8850H - 16 GB RAM - 512 GB SSD - NVIDIA Quadro P600)

I want my life to be as successful  as yours, guys, just to complain about video game textures all day long, taking screenshots, on a forum....

If any more personal insults or attacks take place in this thread it will be locked and those responsible will earn themselves some freshly cooked warning points.

Keep it civil, please. :)

"Be excellent to each other" - Bill and Ted
Community Standards | Guides & Tutorials | Members of Staff

If any more personal insults or attacks take place in this thread it will be locked and those responsible will earn themselves some freshly cooked warning points.

Keep it civil, please. :)

Getting warned by a Scot to be civil. Dear god what has the world come to xD (sorry i had to you can delete this if you want)

"Unofficially Official" Leading Scientific Research and Development Officer of the Official Star Citizen LTT Conglomerate | Reaper Squad, Idris Captain | 1x Aurora LN

Game developer, AI researcher, Developing the UOLTT mobile apps

G SIX [My Mac Pro G5 CaseMod Thread]

Getting warned by a Scot to be civil. Dear god what has the world come to xD (sorry i had to you can delete this if you want)

Hey, we can be civil!*

*intoxication required, civility not guaranteed

"Be excellent to each other" - Bill and Ted
Community Standards | Guides & Tutorials | Members of Staff

Hey, we can be civil!*

Im sure you can be, when discussing how you hate [insert noun] :P

"Unofficially Official" Leading Scientific Research and Development Officer of the Official Star Citizen LTT Conglomerate | Reaper Squad, Idris Captain | 1x Aurora LN

Game developer, AI researcher, Developing the UOLTT mobile apps

G SIX [My Mac Pro G5 CaseMod Thread]

Are you not able to use both versions and check their respective config files? I'm sure that will shead light on what going on. Assuming they don't have some crazy DRM or some shit.

CPU: Intel 3570 GPUs: Nvidia GTX 660Ti Case: Fractal design Define R4  Storage: 1TB WD Caviar Black & 240GB Hyper X 3k SSD Sound: Custom One Pros Keyboard: Ducky Shine 4 Mouse: Logitech G500

Are you not able to use both versions and check their respective config files? I'm sure that will shead light on what going on. Assuming they don't have some crazy DRM or some shit.

I'm not sure there is an easy way to get the old version other than an old version on a PC that is disconnected from the internet..

not unless you copied the ED folder prior to update you can't as the only version available will be the most up to date one.

not unless you copied the ED folder prior to update you can't as the only version available will be the most up to date one.

When was the 1.3 update just to be sure?