Gamers claim Elite: Dangerous graphics have been watered down

ahhming

No, but I do like Maple syrup and saying sorry, is that enough?

Real maple syrup or fake ones ?

But its fair enough for me !

Could be nice if we had the possibility to mod the game with previous versions of the shader.

They tweaked an unoptimized dust shader and the graphics whores rappel off the aide of the building to complain about the Xbox one port.

Unless anyone is sitting on some proper comparison shots this is much ado about nothing.

Unoptimized? That's what they might say, sure. But the game ran flawlessly! On triple monitors on my gtx 970 I was getting around 110fps. It's almost as easy as CS:GO to run.

Wishing leads to ambition and ambition leads to motivation and motivation leads to me building an illegal rocket ship in my backyard.

Unoptimized? That's what they might say, sure. But the game ran flawlessly! On triple monitors on my gtx 970 I was getting around 110fps. It's almost as easy as CS:GO to run.

I guess the CPU does all the work because in single monitor at ultra and AA, I dip often below 30fps with a gtx980sc

For CPU I planned a 4790kbut my wallet was slim at that time so I had to put a g3258 for a while..

I guess the CPU does all the work because in single monitor at ultra and AA, I dip often below 30fps with a gtx980sc

For CPU I planned a 4790kbut my wallet was slim at that time so I had to put a g3258 for a while..

You must definitely be bottlenecked. It would make sense to be a cpu bound game though, there aren't many "graphical things", just a lot of physics based calculations and stuff like that. However, the shader is rendered by the gpu, no need to be optimized.. Unless consoles are that terrible, but I'm pretty sure they're not. Maybe they cut some sort of aspect in it that strains the cpu, idk. But I think if they optimize something for a different console, leave it on pc. If it's not broken don't fix it. 

Wishing leads to ambition and ambition leads to motivation and motivation leads to me building an illegal rocket ship in my backyard.

Just because the game ran well doesn't mean the effect in question wasn't extremely unoptimized for what it did. Most likely what they found was in specific scenarios the effect caused problems so they tweaked it. And considering it can run on such low end hardware it's even sillier to blame consoles that are on par with low end gaming pc's.

Honestly looking at all the comparison shots all I'm seeing is improved lighting. Although I suppose if you guys don't like it you're free to mod it.

4K // R5 3600 // RTX2080Ti

Just because the game ran well doesn't mean the effect in question wasn't extremely unoptimized for what it did. Most likely what they found was in specific scenarios the effect caused problems so they tweaked it. And considering it can run on such low end hardware it's even sillier to blame consoles that are on par with low end gaming pc's.

Honestly looking at all the comparison shots all I'm seeing is improved lighting. Although I suppose if you guys don't like it you're free to mod it.

Nothing but improved lighting? Then how do you explain the reduced texture quality? That's not a lighting thing. Also I never blamed consoles. What? In fact, I said that consoles should be able to run it fine.

Unless consoles are that terrible, but I'm pretty sure they're not. 

are peoplpe making a fuss about this because it matters or because they did things to optimize it and maybe increase the public range(cpu/gpu wise) with this?

I mean, it sounds doubtfull theydid this because of console release.

some people are really taking shit to far.

May the light have your back and your ISO low.

Nothing but improved lighting? Then how do you explain the reduced texture quality? That's not a lighting thing. Also I never blamed consoles. What? In fact, I said that consoles should be able to run it fine.

Where are the reduced textures? The cockpit screenshot for example simply has less interior lighting so the texture detail is hidden. They're exactly the same textures.

Moreover, there's zero reason to reduce texture quality on modern consoles. They have more VRAM than most gaming pc's these days. (It's not like last Gen where they only had 1GB)

At the end of the day what people should be bitching about is that elite dangerous is a shitty game for $60 and not the graphical fidelity.

4K // R5 3600 // RTX2080Ti

Where are the reduced textures? The cockpit screenshot for example simply has less interior lighting so the texture detail is hidden. They're exactly the same textures.

Moreover, there's zero reason to reduce texture quality on modern consoles. They have more VRAM than most gaming pc's these days. (It's not like last Gen where they only had 1GB)

At the end of the day what people should be bitching about is that elite dangerous is a shitty game for $60 and not the graphical fidelity.

NFt2mj1.jpg

No texture downgrade? Are you blind?

Although I do agree the lighting is better in these photos.

No texture downgrade? Are you blind?

Although I do agree the lighting is better in these photos.

Looking at them, no. They removed some details that were really not fitting (like some scratches) and made the material more believable. the resolution seems to have stayed the same (unless it went from 8k to 4k) so, having seen my fair share of texture comparisons when i made games, i can tell you this is not a downgrade

"Unofficially Official" Leading Scientific Research and Development Officer of the Official Star Citizen LTT Conglomerate | Reaper Squad, Idris Captain | 1x Aurora LN

Game developer, AI researcher, Developing the UOLTT mobile apps

G SIX [My Mac Pro G5 CaseMod Thread]

Looking at them, no. They removed some details that were really not fitting (like some scratches) and made the material more believable. the resolution seems to have stayed the same (unless it went from 8k to 4k) so, having seen my fair share of texture comparisons when i made games, i can tell you this is not a downgrade

Indeed, @christianled59, removing unnecessary detail in a texture is not the same as a downgrade in resolution or quality.

I do see that the "scratch" and "wear" marks aren't there anymore, but there are some additional new details inserted instead, such as the two orange horizontal stripes that are below each of those spherical holograms (Galaxy/Local Map, and ship hull status I'd guess - I haven't played the game, so I don't know the exact function of those holograms).

For Sale: Meraki Bundle

iPhone Xr 128 GB Product Red - HP Spectre x360 13" (i5 - 8 GB RAM - 256 GB SSD) - HP ZBook 15v G5 15" (i7-8850H - 16 GB RAM - 512 GB SSD - NVIDIA Quadro P600)

I do see that the "scratch" and "wear" marks aren't there anymore, but there are some additional new details inserted instead, such as the two orange horizontal stripes that are below each of those spherical holograms (Galaxy/Local Map, and ship hull status I'd guess - I haven't played the game, so I don't know the exact function of those holograms).

I do see the scratch thingy on the screenshots what I can observe if I compare with my own experience with the game and its background story is that most beginner ships ( like the one on the screenshots) are used ships.. So wear and tear should be noticeable at some point.

However I don't have the possibility at the moment to make my own screenshots (I just moved) but I did remember the screenshots scene (when docked in most stations) to be quite a bit more realistic... But some people will be able to agree with me; memory is a bitch and it might have been exactly the same ..

As long as the game continue to be as it was for the past two months I played, it will satisfy me more than enough.

Right...

So

1xapF5c.jpg

@christianled59 what's your point with that image? You aren't showing a comparison. I've seen that image crop up a ton of times as "evidence" of the downgrade, yet no one is showing the "before" image.

Please show me a side-by-side comparison of that image, old vs current version. If the textures have been downgraded, a side-by-side comparison will easily prove that you are right.

For Sale: Meraki Bundle

iPhone Xr 128 GB Product Red - HP Spectre x360 13" (i5 - 8 GB RAM - 256 GB SSD) - HP ZBook 15v G5 15" (i7-8850H - 16 GB RAM - 512 GB SSD - NVIDIA Quadro P600)

@christianled59 what's your point with that image? You aren't showing a comparison. I've seen that image crop up a ton of times as "evidence" of the downgrade, yet no one is showing the "before" image.

Please show me a side-by-side comparison of that image, old vs current version. If the textures have been downgraded, a side-by-side comparison will easily prove that you are right.

It doesn't take a side by side to see that the textures are worse, but if you insist:

Python_Screenshot_6.jpg

ship-coredynamics-eagle3.jpg

(I'm aware those were completely different ships, but the one below, the anaconda, is the same ship as in the "downgraded" photo")

hsYbC7x.png

1xapF5c.jpg

Jeez. Why are they trying to downgrade shit to make " Balance" No don't do that if that machine cannot keep up with another there is no reason to downgrade it. This proves that consoles are indeed holding back PC.

NEVER GIVE UP. NEVER STOP LEARNING. DONT LET THE PAST HURT YOU. YOU CAN DOOOOO IT

It doesn't take a side by side to see that the textures are worse. But if you insist:

Python_Screenshot_6.jpg

ship-coredynamics-eagle3.jpg

(I'm aware those were completely different ships, but the one below, the anaconda, is the same ship as in the "downgraded" photo")

hsYbC7x.png

1xapF5c.jpg

The second pic is really cropped up close, hence the apparent blurryness. now i havent played elite, but i assume that you arent really ment to look at ships up close, so they dont waste resources on highres textures for those parts. the texture looks of similar quality in both pics btw

"Unofficially Official" Leading Scientific Research and Development Officer of the Official Star Citizen LTT Conglomerate | Reaper Squad, Idris Captain | 1x Aurora LN

The second pic is really cropped up close, hence the apparent blurryness. now i havent played elite, but i assume that you arent really ment to look at ships up close, so they dont waste resources on highres textures for those parts. the texture looks of similar quality in both pics btw

If you don't play the game then why the hell are you trying to tell me? Hello, I own the game. The downgrade is pretty obvious. Especially first hand, if you want to tell me I'm wrong, then at least pick up the game and see it for yourself. What is the point in defending the game anyways? Fact is fact, there is a downgrade. Otherwise thousands of players wouldn't be claiming that there is. We didn't just wake up and be like "oh the game looks worse now". It's not some magic placebo effect that affected the minds of so many. No, the game was downgraded in the textures and in the fog. However, I will agree the lighting was improved.

Also, if you're not meant to look at the ships upclose, then why would there be shipyards for you to zoom in, inspect, and modify tiny portions of the ship..

iAmKTBl.jpg

At least educate yourself about the game before you argue against it. Frankly, all this arguing of indisputable fact is annoying and pointless. 

If you don't play the game then why the hell are you trying to tell me? Hello, I own the game. The downgrade is pretty obvious. Especially first hand, if you want to tell me I'm wrong, then at least pick up the game and see it for yourself. What is the point in defending the game anyways? Fact is fact, there is a downgrade. Otherwise thousands of players wouldn't be claiming that there is. We didn't just wake up and be like "oh the game looks worse now". It's not some magic placebo effect that affected the minds of so many. No, the game was downgraded in the textures and in the fog. However, I will agree the lighting was improved.

Also, if you're not meant to look at the ships upclose, then why would there be shipyards for you to zoom in, inspect, and modify tiny portions of the ship..

iAmKTBl.jpg

At least educate yourself about the game before you argue against it. Frankly, all this arguing of indisputable fact is annoying and pointless. 

Im arguing that it wasnt downgraded, but instead the shader was optimised, and the textures made more realistic. no downgrading of resolution was done, atleast according to these screenshots you keep posting. If you want me to play the game and check it for myself, lend me your account (and 15€ per hour i dont work for free) and ill do it. but i bet that if i compare the two versions side to side, with the same lighting, ill only be able to tell you what i already have. Textures stayed the same, resolution wise. Shader now takes 2 cycles per particle instead of 6 (arbitrary numbers i pulled from my ass)

Real maple syrup or fake ones ?

But its fair enough for me !

Could be nice if we had the possibility to mod the game with previous versions of the shader.

It says that it's imported from canada on the bottle, so I guess it's real.

and yeah, but I doubt frontier would allow mods, since it's an online game. Probably would get you banned for being a cheater or something.

"It's a taxi, it has a FARE METER."

It says that it's imported from canada on the bottle, so I guess it's real.

and yeah, but I doubt frontier would allow mods, since it's an online game. Probably would get you banned for being a cheater or something.

They allow mods on World of tanks. Sure its not Frontier but its online. However the mods are mostly aesthetics and sound.. Haven't seen anything completely changing the game ..

Im arguing that it wasnt downgraded, but instead the shader was optimised, and the textures made more realistic. no downgrading of resolution was done, atleast according to these screenshots you keep posting. If you want me to play the game and check it for myself, lend me your account (and 15€ per hour i dont work for free) and ill do it. but i bet that if i compare the two versions side to side, with the same lighting, ill only be able to tell you what i already have. Textures stayed the same, resolution wise. Shader now takes 2 cycles per particle instead of 6 (arbitrary numbers i pulled from my ass)

A downgrading of the texture resolution can be done without changing it's size: if the source textures have far less visual fidelity then it doesn't matter that you kept the same texture resolution.

The game looks worst and the textures look easier to compress now even if technically they're not compressed. The particularly odd thing is that you insist on defending your points. Do you really need to win an argument that bad that you want to tell gamers that feel cheated out of the product they paid for that this is not a problem? That's a lousy attitude people would expect from someone like me, not someone like you.

-------

Current Rig

-------

A downgrading of the texture resolution can be done without changing it's size: if the source textures have far less visual fidelity then it doesn't matter that you kept the same texture resolution.

The game looks worst and the textures look easier to compress now even if technically they're not compressed. The particularly odd thing is that you insist on defending your points. Do you really need to win an argument that bad that you want to tell gamers that feel cheated out of the product they paid for that this is not a problem? That's a lousy attitude people would expect from someone like me, not someone like you.

Ive said they changed the textures. Ive said that they have changed the shader for fog. ive also said they havent downgraded the resolution, and ive also said that not one of those comparison shots compares in even a similar lighting. 

Now if you can dispute any of those points, feel free to, and i will accept it. but dont twist my words. Ive also said i dont have access to the game to test it myself, and hence perhaps you should not get your knickers in a twist over what i think about 10 pictures ;)

Ive said they changed the textures. Ive said that they have changed the shader for fog. ive also said they havent downgraded the resolution, and ive also said that not one of those comparison shots compares in even a similar lighting. 

Now if you can dispute any of those points, feel free to, and i will accept it. but dont twist my words. Ive also said i dont have access to the game to test it myself, and hence perhaps you should not get your knickers in a twist over what i think about 10 pictures ;)

You're the one who keeps replying beyond the point you said "Im out" though. Good luck with that, you're only fooling yourself.

-------

Current Rig

-------

They allow mods on World of tanks. Sure its not Frontier but its online. However the mods are mostly aesthetics and sound.. Haven't seen anything completely changing the game ..

Well, I didn't know that. The only thing about mods and online I heard about recently was GTA V, So I assumed mods in online games were always no-no

Then again MMORPG's often have addons, so I should've known better :P

"It's a taxi, it has a FARE METER."