Fury x vs GTX 980 TI

Gall Cohen

Hey guys, I want to buy one of these GPUs soon and I was quite sure that i'd take the 980 TI because I have a better experience with Nvidia

and it seemed stronger from what I have seen.

The big BUT though, I am planning to buy an Ultrawide monitor and I might be able to get my hand on a "freesync" enabled one - (No way I can get a gsync monitor anytime soon) and I wanted to know, is it worth to go with the fury x instead? is there a chance they will increase it's OC roof and performance with new drivers soon?

Thing is, if I want to get a freesync monitor it will take about a month or 2 and it will be quite alot more difficult so I want to be sure it is REALLY worth it :)

Thanks!!

If you want a freesync monitor then Fury X makes sense.

Location: Kaunas, Lithuania, Europe, Earth, Solar System, Local Interstellar Cloud, Local Bubble, Gould Belt, Orion Arm, Milky Way, Milky Way subgroup, Local Group, Virgo Supercluster, Laniakea, Pisces–Cetus Supercluster Complex, Observable universe, Universe.

Spoiler

12700, B660M Mortar DDR4, 32GB 3200C16 Viper Steel, 2TB SN570, EVGA Supernova G6 850W, be quiet! 500FX, EVGA 3070Ti FTW3 Ultra.

Buy the 980Ti. The Fury X only beats the 980Ti if you don't OC the 980Ti and you OC the Fury X. The 980Ti is a better card over all, more Vram for high resolutions too. And on top of that, the Fury X is a noisy mofo.

NCASE M1 i5-9600k  GTX 1080 FE Z370N-WIFI SF600 NH-U9S LPX 32GB 960EVO

I'm a self-identifying Corsair Nvidia Fanboy; Get over it.

Buy the 980Ti. The Fury X only beats the 980Ti if you don't OC the 980Ti and you OC the Fury X. The 980Ti is a better card over all, more Vram for high resolutions too. And on top of that, the Fury X is a noisy mofo.

Multiple reviewers said the drivers on the Fury X were pretty shitty and will need to be updated before real comparisons can be made.

I think we should wait and see before passing judgement on it.  And the whole "noisy mofo" thing, are you talking about the coil whine in Jayztwocents? Because every other review I read, people were praising how quiet it was.

Due to the huge bandwidth, it also doesn't need as much VRAM.  (Watch OC3D's review, he explains in detail why it doesn't need as much VRAM to do the same tasks something with more VRAM does)

Stuff:  i7 7700k @ (dat nibba succ) | ASRock Z170M OC Formula | G.Skill TridentZ 3600 c16 | EKWB 1080 @ 2100 mhz  |  Acer X34 Predator | R4 | EVGA 1000 P2 | 1080mm Radiator Custom Loop | HD800 + Audio-GD NFB-11 | 850 Evo 1TB | 840 Pro 256GB | 3TB WD Blue | 2TB Barracuda

Hwbot: http://hwbot.org/user/lays/ 

FireStrike 980 ti @ 1800 Mhz http://hwbot.org/submission/3183338 http://www.3dmark.com/3dm/11574089

if you want that freesync get the Fury x, I've had AMD cards and they are fine I don't see why some people dislike them.

PC is alive again! :System: CPU:Intel i5 4960k/ Motherboard:ASUS Gryphon Z97/ RAM: Kingston 16GB/ GPU: ASUS R9 Fury X/ Storage: 120gb Crucial SSD, 2TB Seagate SSHD/ PSU: Cooler Master 700w/ Displays: 1 Acer B276HK ymjdprz 27-inch 4K Ultra HD/1 ASUS 21.5 LCD LED 21.5 monitor

Multiple reviewers said the drivers on the Fury X were pretty shitty and will need to be updated before real comparisons can be made.

I think we should wait and see before passing judgement on it.  And the whole "noisy mofo" thing, are you talking about the coil whine in Jayztwocents? Because every other review I read, people were praising how quiet it was.

Due to the huge bandwidth, it also doesn't need as much VRAM.  (Watch OC3D's review, he explains in detail why it doesn't need as much VRAM to do the same tasks something with more VRAM does)

Regardless the Pump only has 2 settings, On and Off.

NCASE M1 i5-9600k  GTX 1080 FE Z370N-WIFI SF600 NH-U9S LPX 32GB 960EVO

I'm a self-identifying Corsair Nvidia Fanboy; Get over it.

Regardless the Pump only has 2 settings, On and Off.

Did you expect AMD to make software and add like 10 pump settings on a reference design? (Also yes I know the Fury x will only be in reference design)

PC is alive again! :System: CPU:Intel i5 4960k/ Motherboard:ASUS Gryphon Z97/ RAM: Kingston 16GB/ GPU: ASUS R9 Fury X/ Storage: 120gb Crucial SSD, 2TB Seagate SSHD/ PSU: Cooler Master 700w/ Displays: 1 Acer B276HK ymjdprz 27-inch 4K Ultra HD/1 ASUS 21.5 LCD LED 21.5 monitor

if you want that freesync get the Fury x, I've had AMD cards and they are fine I don't see why some people dislike them.

People don't like them because their Drivers are crap. I had to go from 14.12 then 15.5, then 15.4 just to play GTA V.. 

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 5600X | CPU Cooler: Stock AMD Cooler | Motherboard: Asus ROG STRIX B550-F GAMING (WI-FI) | RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3000 CL16 | GPU: Nvidia GTX 1060 6GB Zotac Mini | Case: K280 Case | PSU: Cooler Master B600 Power supply | SSD: 1TB  | HDDs: 1x 250GB & 1x 1TB WD Blue | Monitors: 24" Acer S240HLBID + 24" Samsung  | OS: Win 10 Pro

Audio: Behringer Q802USB Xenyx 8 Input Mixer |  U-PHORIA UMC204HD | Behringer XM8500 Dynamic Cardioid Vocal Microphone | Sound Blaster Audigy Fx PCI-E card.

Home Lab:  Lenovo ThinkCenter M82 ESXi 6.7 | Lenovo M93 Tiny Exchange 2019 | TP-LINK TL-SG1024D 24-Port Gigabit | Cisco ASA 5506 firewall  | Cisco Catalyst 3750 Gigabit Switch | Cisco 2960C-LL | HP MicroServer G8 NAS | Custom built SCCM Server.

People don't like them because their Drivers are crap. I had to go from 14.12 then 15.5, then 15.4 just to play GTA V.. 

I had a R9 295x2, and I didn't have troubles with the drivers, the only game I had trouble was The witcher 3 for obvious reasons, but then my R9 295x2 died :( 

id say 980TI because of the Fury X revews iv seen, its noisy and worse preforming

I spent $2500 on building my PC and all i do with it is play no games atm & watch anime at 1080p(finally) watch YT and write essays...  nothing, it just sits there collecting dust...

Builds:

The Toaster Project! Northern Bee!

The original LAN PC build log! (Old, dead and replaced by The Toaster Project & 5.0)

Spoiler

"Here is some advice that might have gotten lost somewhere along the way in your life. 

#1. Treat others as you would like to be treated.

#2. It's best to keep your mouth shut; and appear to be stupid, rather than open it and remove all doubt.

#3. There is nothing "wrong" with being wrong. Learning from a mistake can be more valuable than not making one in the first place.

Follow these simple rules in life, and I promise you, things magically get easier. " - MageTank 31-10-2016

Is it me or do you look like Vaas?

It's really hit or miss. For example, I've had many more driver crashes with my GTX 970 than with my previous R9 270. 

Intel Core i7-5820K (4.4 GHz) | Gigabyte GTX 970 G1 Gaming | Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB  | 2x 360mm Custom Loop (Noctua iPPC) | ASRock X99 Extreme6 | Samsung 840 EVO 250GB | Fractal Design Define S | Corsair HX750 | Windows 10 | Corsair M65 RGB PRO | Corsair K70 RGB LUX (CherryMX Brown) | Beyerdynamic Custom One Pro & Creative Sound Blaster Z | Nexus 6P (32GB Aluminium) | Check out my setup: Project Kalte Here!

FreeSync monitors are quite cheaper than G Sync ones, but 980 Ti is a bit better card than Fury X, oh these choices...

People don't like them because their Drivers are crap. I had to go from 14.12 then 15.5, then 15.4 just to play GTA V.

All you have to do is stay on the stable release and activate auto updates.

I have never had a case where I couldn't play a game, unless I was OC'ing or testing beta drivers.

You should never need to even have to touch your drivers after the initial install.

Recommend what is best, not what you preffer.

"Like" comments to show your support of them or the idea they express.

the noise the fury x makes is a dealbreaker, if you buy now buy a 980ti, if you consist on amd wait for coolermaster to fix the pump

the noise the fury x makes is a dealbreaker, if you buy now buy a 980ti, if you consist on amd wait for coolermaster to fix the pump

There is no way a Fury X is noisier under load than a reference 980 ti. I had a reference 970, which has WAY lower TDP, and it still sounded like a vacuum cleaner when I was gaming, so I cant imagine how much louder a 980 ti under load sounds.

The complaints about the Fury X noise is the pump noise at idle, which is only more audible because fans aren't kicking in because the GPU isn't really doing anything. Once you are under load the fan noise from your system and GPU will quickly drown out the pump noise, and the reference 980 ti will be WAY louder.

Its also worth noting that this pump noise is in early models shipped to reviewers and AMD has stated they have fixed the noise for mass production models. We wont know how much better the production models sound until user reports start coming in.

I think RIGHT now the 980 ti is the better performing GPU for the price, but he said he wants a freesync model so that seems like a deal sealer for the Fury X. G sync monitors will run you 300 dollars more and there is no way a 980 ti is 300 dollars better than a Fury X.

CPU: Ryzen 7 3700x,  MOBO: ASUS TUF X570 Gaming Pro wifi, CPU cooler: Noctua U12a RAM: Gskill Ripjaws V @3600mhz,  GPU: Asus Tuf RTX OC 3080 PSU: Seasonic Focus GX850 CASE: Lian Li Lancool 2 Mesh Storage: 500 GB Inland Premium M.2,  Sandisk Ultra Plus II 256 GB & 120 GB

As much as I want to upgrade my AMD GPU. I really wanted to pickup a Fury X, but with stock limitation with no restock on sight... I might have to pickup a 980Ti G1 from Gigabyte.

ROG X570-F Strix AMD R9 5900X | EK Elite 360 | EVGA 3080 FTW3 Ultra | G.Skill Trident Z Neo 64gb | Samsung 980 PRO 
ROG Strix XG349C Corsair 4000 | Bose C5 | ROG Swift PG279Q

Logitech G810 Orion Sennheiser HD 518 |  Logitech 502 Hero

There is no way a Fury X is noisier under load than a reference 980 ti. I had a reference 970, which has WAY lower TDP, and it still sounded like a vacuum cleaner when I was gaming, so I cant imagine how much louder a 980 ti under load sounds.

The complaints about the Fury X noise is the pump noise at idle, which is only more audible because fans aren't kicking in because the GPU isn't really doing anything. Once you are under load the fan noise from your system and GPU will quickly drown out the pump noise, and the reference 980 ti will be WAY louder.

Its also worth noting that this pump noise is in early models shipped to reviewers and AMD has stated they have fixed the noise for mass production models. We wont know how much better the production models sound until user reports start coming in.

I think RIGHT now the 980 ti is the better performing GPU for the price, but he said he wants a freesync model so that seems like a deal sealer for the Fury X. G sync monitors will run you 300 dollars more and there is no way a 980 ti is 300 dollars better than a Fury X.

well, the reference cooler is also a dealbreaker for me, cause it's loud, but the pumps having high pitch noise is just as annoying. I just wouldn't buy a reference fury x or a 980ti.