PSU change

1Scotty1
Go to solution Solved by STRMfrmXMN,

The RM850 costed over 150€,the EVGA Supernova will cost me 60€ with the coupon, I am guessing yes

Not worth the hassle upfront BUT:

There are 3 renditions of the Corsair RM850. One is good (newest) and two are awful. http://www.realhardtechx.com/index_archivos/Page447.htm

See the RM850 manufactured by CWT? That's the good one. Chicony ones just suck. If you have one of those two (only way to check is using the exact model number) then it's absolutely worth it. Otherwise skip it.

Hey, folks

A few days ago I bought a reference 980Ti from EVGA and included was a 50% off coupon on EVGA power supplies. So it got me thinking, the Corsair RM850 is a slight overkill for the system I currently have (specs in sig), so should I sell it and get a EVGA Supernova G2 650W PSU? I am not planning to SLI in the forseeable future...

What are your thoughts on this?

Thanks, cheers

why would you do that, will you gain any money?

Location: Kaunas, Lithuania, Europe, Earth, Solar System, Local Interstellar Cloud, Local Bubble, Gould Belt, Orion Arm, Milky Way, Milky Way subgroup, Local Group, Virgo Supercluster, Laniakea, Pisces–Cetus Supercluster Complex, Observable universe, Universe.

Spoiler

12700, B660M Mortar DDR4, 32GB 3200C16 Viper Steel, 2TB SN570, EVGA Supernova G6 850W, be quiet! 500FX, EVGA 3070Ti FTW3 Ultra.

why would you do that, will you gain any money?

The RM850 costed over 150€,the EVGA Supernova will cost me 60€ with the coupon, I am guessing yes

Just keep the power supply you have, buy the supernova and resell it. IF you sell the 850w you will have to label it as used and get probsbly even less than if you sold the 650w.

CPU: i7 8700 GPU: Asus ROG Strix GTX 1080 Mobo: Gigabyte Z370 Gaming 5 Ram: 16GB EVGA SuperSC SSD: Samsung 850 EVO 250GB 
HDD: Seagate Barracuda 2TB PSU: TX650M Case: NZXT S340 Elite OS: Windows 10 Mouse: Logitech G403 Mouse Mat: HyperX Fury S Pro XL 
Keyboard: CM Masterkeys Pro S (reds) Headphones: Sennheiser HD598 Monitor: Asus 24' MG248QR Devices: IPhone 11 Pro Max + 13' Macbook Pro

Not worth the hassle upfront BUT:

There are 3 renditions of the Corsair RM850. One is good (newest) and two are awful. http://www.realhardtechx.com/index_archivos/Page447.htm

See the RM850 manufactured by CWT? That's the good one. Chicony ones just suck. If you have one of those two (only way to check is using the exact model number) then it's absolutely worth it. Otherwise skip it.

|PSU Tier List /80 Plus Efficiency| PSU stuff if you need it. 

My system: PCPartPicker || For Corsair support tag @Corsair Josephor @Corsair Nick || My 5MT Legacy GT Wagon ||