[The Escapist] Apple removes games from its online store due to use of Confederate Flags.

The article has been updated.

Update: Andrew Mulholland of HexWar Games confirmed via email that he was contacted by an Apple representative today. "They put Civil War: 1863 back on the store and we're making a few tweaks to the app icons for the other games," Mulholland said. He was told that Apple did not want the Confederate flag displayed in any app icons or prominently depicted in any screenshots.

Ultimate General: Gettysburg has also been reinstated, Game Labs confirmed via Facebook. "Ultimate General is back. Unchanged. After several late night phone calls with Apple yesterday and today the game has returned to Appstore the way it was... in 1863."

In a second post, Game Labs thanked fans for their support. "We would like to thank everyone who helped us over the last day by liking, sharing and commenting and spreading the news about the importance of keeping history the way it was. We are very humbled and overwhelmed by your support and are happy to be serving you. It is purely your accomplishment and we are grateful you helped us bring our game back."

Good news. Nothing wrong with depicting something in a historical context. (something that quite a lot of politicians and SJW's should learn)

I also think that this is worth pointing out, for those who aren't aware of it. The Pastor/state-senator that was killed in this attack? Had previously voted in favor of a law displaying the Confederate Flag.

http://allenbwest.com/2015/06/whoa-this-is-how-the-slain-pastor-felt-about-the-confederate-flag/

Ketchup is better than mustard.

GUI is better than Command Line Interface.

Dubs are better than subs

Next thing you know confederate symbols will be removed from school text books...

Wishing leads to ambition and ambition leads to motivation and motivation leads to me building an illegal rocket ship in my backyard.

Good news. Nothing wrong with depicting something in a historical context. (something that quite a lot of politicians and SJW's should learn)

I also think that this is worth pointing out, for those who aren't aware of it. The Pastor/state-senator that was killed in this attack? Had previously voted in favor of a law displaying the Confederate Flag.

http://allenbwest.com/2015/06/whoa-this-is-how-the-slain-pastor-felt-about-the-confederate-flag/

"Shouldn’t someone ask the cowardly Republicans and the race hustlers how it is they know better than Pinckney? In my mind, the 2000 compromise created good will – but the left can never keep an agreement, so good will only lasts until the next political opportunity arises. Then it becomes a simple matter of intimidation and raw political power."

I like the whole of the statement.  I am pointing out the most relevant piece as I think it applies.  I don't think he particularly cared whether or not it was flown.  He knew that other people cared, and was considerate of those people.  I don't want to write my initial thoughts regarding the loose irony here.  I have been part of a bit too much "right-wing bashing" for my liking already.

Because idiots somehow think that a thread about Apple removing Civil War games from their app store should be derailed with gun politics. 

An idiot calling idiots: idiots... very nice.  :mellow:

A guy using the confederate battle flag as a symbol for hate and intolerance decides to murder a bunch of US citizens in a church with a gun.  There is political pressure to remove this flag from government buildings, and some private corporations distance themselves from individuals that use this symbol for wrong-doing.

Nah, this was not a political issue at all... nah...

Guns?  Nah, gun control is not a relevant discussion in light of these events.

Let's just shout out:  This is censorship, and make fun of Apple for being so dumb.

Stick that pen up your ass, you narrow-mind... (I am gonna get a warning point for this, I better stop)...

An idiot calling idiots: idiots... very nice.  :mellow:

A guy using the confederate battle flag as a symbol for hate and intolerance decides to murder a bunch of US citizens in a church with a gun.  There is political pressure to remove this flag from government buildings, and some private corporations distance themselves from individuals that use this symbol for wrong-doing.

Nah, this was not a political issue at all... nah...

Guns?  Nah, gun control is not a relevant discussion in light of these events.

Let's just shout out:  This is censorship, and make fun of Apple for being so dumb.

Stick that pen up your ass, you narrow-mind... (I am gonna get a warning point for this, I better stop)...

What the fuck! What does the political aspect of people taking the flag down from government buildings have ANYTHING at all to do with Apple TAKING GAMES THAT USE THE FLAG FOR HISTORICAL PURPOSES. What does this have to do with gun politics? Nothing. It's derailment. Fuck off.

You can shove your pretentious asinine derailment up your fucking ass.

The Internet is the first thing that humanity has built that humanity doesn't understand, the largest experiment in anarchy that we have ever had.

What the fuck! What does the political aspect of people taking the flag down from government buildings have ANYTHING at all to do with Apple TAKING GAMES THAT USE THE FLAG FOR HISTORICAL PURPOSES. What does this have to do with gun politics? Nothing. It's derailment. Fuck off.

You can shove your pretentious asinine derailment up your fucking ass.

Oh that's an easy answer. Consider Apple's primary demographic (hipsters), and extrapolate.

As much as I dislike hipsters and apple fanboys, they DO read the news. This was just Apple pre-empting some hipster seeing a confederate flag somewhere in the app store, and then writing any angry blog about it.

(could also be political activism by someone at Apple. Can't rule that out, nor can it be proven at this point in time)

It is going to get to the point where they want to ban the flag due to their ignorance. The flag is just a battle flag, and it represents nothing those idiots think it does. It isn't about "wanting to own slaves" or being a damn racist. But like Captain Malcolm Reynolds said, "Half of writing history is hiding the truth"!

I just read that Amazon is removing items with the flag on it as well as the flag itself.  Wow! Well, I'll leave it to Alabama to keep the flags rolling. Might be I'll paint my roof to be the Confederate Flag. That oughtta rattle some chains!

Next thing you know confederate symbols will be removed from school text books...

They already heavily distort or bend history to fit their agendas, so I think this is very likely to happen soon.

I think the world gets to offended these days.. or just America.

I'm pretty sure it is the world. America is just far more sensitive lately. :(

|  The United Empire of Earth Wants You | The Stormborn (ongoing build; 90% done)  |  Skyrim Mods Recommendations  LTT Blue Forum Theme! | Learning Russian! Blog |
|"They got a war on drugs so the police can bother me.”Tupac Shakur  | "Half of writing history is hiding the truth"Captain Malcolm Reynolds | "Museums are racist."Michelle Obama | "Slap a word like "racist" or "nazi" on it and you'll have an army at your back."MSM Logic | "A new command I give you: love one another. As I have loved you, so you must love one another"Jesus Christ | "I love the Union and the Constitution, but I would rather leave the Union with the Constitution than remain in the Union without it."Jefferson Davis |

It is going to get to the point where they want to ban the flag due to their ignorance. The flag is just a battle flag, and it represents nothing those idiots think it does. It isn't about "wanting to own slaves" or being a damn racist. But like Captain Malcolm Reynolds said, "Half of writing history is hiding the truth"!

I just read that Amazon is removing items with the flag on it as well as the flag itself.  Wow! Well, I'll leave it to Alabama to keep the flags rolling. Might be I'll paint my roof to be the Confederate Flag. That oughtta rattle some chains!

They already heavily distort or bend history to fit their agendas, so I think this is very likely to happen soon.

I'm pretty sure it is the world. America is just far more sensitive lately. :(

What's truly sad is that politicians can get away with straight up lies. Like Obummer lying at the Eulogy for that pastor (WHO HAD VOTED TO KEEP THE FLAG WHERE IT WAS) and claiming that the civil war was entirely about keeping slavery. Which it was not. (it was about preventing the Federal Government becoming more powerful than was intended, which is what has happened as a result of the Federal Government conquering America in the "Civil War".)

And yet, those of us who recognize what the War of Northern Aggression was really about, get called "ignorant". Despite us being the educated ones on the subject.

What's truly sad is that politicians can get away with straight up lies. Like Obummer lying at the Eulogy for that pastor (WHO HAD VOTED TO KEEP THE FLAG WHERE IT WAS) and claiming that the civil war was entirely about keeping slavery. Which it was not.

And yet, those of us who recognize what the War of Northern Aggression was really about, get called "ignorant". Despite us being the educated ones on the subject.

It has a lot to do with the circles of misinformation.  You see this everywhere.  Stupid ideas and notions get passed around groups of people and it can get out of hand, especially when that involves politicians that are responsible for their constituency.

We know these guys(political figures) are not extraordinarily smart, so they are just as susceptible to bullshit as anyone else.

TBH, I just watched a video that showcased many declarations for succession for many of the southern states.  Although the tone was leaning towards economic disparity between them and the North, the main theme was focused on the commodity of African Americans.  It is kind of disgusting looking at it with today's eyes, where it was quite normal back then.  The word slavery itself riddled the page for many of these declarations. 

This was only one source, I can site it if you want.

Like I said, back then it was "normal"... but today looking back it sounds downright horrific.

It has a lot to do with the circles of misinformation.  You see this everywhere.  Stupid ideas and notions get passed around groups of people and it can get out of hand, especially when that involves politicians that are responsible for their constituency.

We know these guys(political figures) are not extraordinarily smart, so they are just as susceptible to bullshit as anyone else.

TBH, I just watched a video that showcased many declarations for succession for many of the southern states.  Although the tone was leaning towards economic disparity between them and the North, the main theme was focused on the commodity of African Americans.  It is kind of disgusting looking at it with today's eyes, where it was quite normal back then.  The word slavery itself riddled the page for many of these declarations. 

This was only one source, I can site it if you want.

Like I said, back then it was "normal"... but today looking back it sounds downright horrific.

Those are pretty accurate I'm guessing. the south did have a better economy due to agriculture, which benefited from slavery. But there still were a lot of other issues, economic, social, and political.

The point is, the entire thing was not about slavery. And considering my experiences in living in Michigan, most people in the north thinks that every white person in the south is racist as hell and want's to bring back slavery. Does that mean that, statistically speaking, everyone in the north thinks that? No, it was just my experience, as a southerner living in the north. By the same thought process, not everyone who lives in the south and want's to keep the flag is a racist that wants to bring back slavery.

The entire thing, is just drummed up hype, meant to garner attention for media outlets, and politicians alike. At least in my opinion.

Those are pretty accurate I'm guessing. the south did have a better economy due to agriculture, which benefited from slavery. But there still were a lot of other issues, economic, social, and political.

The point is, the entire thing was not about slavery. And considering my experiences in living in Michigan, most people in the north thinks that every white person in the south is racist as hell and want's to bring back slavery. Does that mean that, statistically speaking, everyone in the north thinks that? No, it was just my experience, as a southerner living in the north.

Misinformation.  Happens everywhere.  Without setting foot in a southern community, people should not generalize.  Logic (evident to anyone one person) would dictate that regardless of what people say about "southerners", there are tons of decent good people there as well.  Like there are no asshats in the north, really.

That video of the guy (Southern dude) earlier in the thread was enjoyable.  I cannot agree with 100% of what he said, but that is not the point.  I liked his demeanor, his attitude and his knowledge of HIS place in this world.

Growing up should mean more than just getting a job and popping out children.  I can't fathom spending decade upon decade being alive in a privileged environment (yeah, we are in a good place for now), and miss a very real situation of despotism (in one form or another) that points to a systemic (media?) intellectual deficiency issue in our communities.

...and godamnit, I would love to have children... I am getting old man.  One of my current regrets that can be rectified still.

What's truly sad is that politicians can get away with straight up lies. Like Obummer lying at the Eulogy for that pastor (WHO HAD VOTED TO KEEP THE FLAG WHERE IT WAS) and claiming that the civil war was entirely about keeping slavery. Which it was not. (it was about preventing the Federal Government becoming more powerful than was intended, which is what has happened as a result of the Federal Government conquering America in the "Civil War".)

What can you do? Ignorance is overwhelming in America. No one cares to read the truth about the Civil War, or that president Lincoln wrote to Horace Greeley stating his intentions were not for the slaves, at all, but for the sake of the Union. The north even had more slaves than the south did and it wasn't until much later than they all stood up barking that the south just wanted to keep slaves when it wasn't even the point of it (though I am sure there were many who did fight for it). But in an effort to slander and prove southern folk as racist war mongers this facet of the truth will never be shown and discussed in daylight for the public to actually learn.

The weird part is that people ignore how The Emancipation Proclamation of 1863 freed slaves of the south but in Union aligned states slavery was still very legal. In fact the Congress had passed two Acts that had entitled the northern slave owners to sue the Federal Government for sums of money or repayment for their slaves' services being stolen in order to be enlisted into the Union army.

|  The United Empire of Earth Wants You | The Stormborn (ongoing build; 90% done)  |  Skyrim Mods Recommendations  LTT Blue Forum Theme! | Learning Russian! Blog |
|"They got a war on drugs so the police can bother me.”Tupac Shakur  | "Half of writing history is hiding the truth"Captain Malcolm Reynolds | "Museums are racist."Michelle Obama | "Slap a word like "racist" or "nazi" on it and you'll have an army at your back."MSM Logic | "A new command I give you: love one another. As I have loved you, so you must love one another"Jesus Christ | "I love the Union and the Constitution, but I would rather leave the Union with the Constitution than remain in the Union without it."Jefferson Davis |

What can you do? Ignorance is overwhelming in America. No one cares to read the truth about the Civil War, or that president Lincoln wrote to Horace Greeley stating his intentions were not for the slaves, at all, but for the sake of the Union. The north even had more slaves than the south did and it wasn't until much later than they all stood up barking that the south just wanted to keep slaves when it wasn't even the point of it (though I am sure there were many who did fight for it). But in an effort to slander and prove southern folk as racist war mongers this facet of the truth will never be shown and discussed in daylight for the public to actually learn.

The weird part is that people ignore how The Emancipation Proclamation of 1863 freed slaves of the south but in Union aligned states slavery was still very legal. In fact the Congress had passed two Acts that had entitled the northern slave owners to sue the Federal Government for sums of money or repayment for their slaves' services being stolen in order to be enlisted into the Union army.

Well, the North wanted to win, and a slave fighting for freedom could be very effective... no?

Well, the North wanted to win, and a slave fighting for freedom could be very effective... no?

Well, true, but my point was to show the hypocrisy and the like of the north and people who think the north were angels in the war.

Well, true, but my point was to show the hypocrisy and the like of the north and people who think the north were angels in the war.

There is no angel in war, unless there is someone who stops it without fighting and/or loss of lives on either side.

Just another book burning. Like the ones we saw 80 years ago in a certain country, instead this time, the things being burned are the southern identity, and by extension, southern politics and religion (the real targets). The flag means nothing to me, since I'm the grandchild of Greek immigrants/Yankees, but it represents the southern identity to a heck of a lot of people. You can't possibly believe that a serious percent of people who fly the flag, fly it out of genuine support for separatism and slavery. It doesn't mean that anymore. If you find it offensive, stop being easily offended. My life has become so much easier and happier since I stopped being easily offended.

There is no angel in war, unless there is someone who stops it without fighting and/or loss of lives on either side.

Yes, but a lot of liberals people seem to think the north was this anti-slavery angel come to rid the world of the demons of the south.

Yes, but a lot of liberals people seem to think the north was this anti-slavery angel come to rid the world of the demons of the south.

Land is inherently valuable.  It is not a new reason to fight a war today, and it was not back then either.

Land is inherently valuable.  It is not a new reason to fight a war today, and it was not back then either.

Okay, that much is true, no denying it. But I'm not really talking about that in the quote though. :)

"including Civil War: 1862, Civil War: 1863, Civil War: 1864 and Civil War: Gettysburg were pulled with no warning due to the inclusion of the Confederate flag. "It seems disappointing that they would remove it as they weren't being used in an offensive way, being that they were historical war games and hence it was the flag used at the time,"

we should also burn history books because it includes confederate flags.

Love is patient, love is kind. It does not envy, it does not boast, it is not proud. It does not dishonor others, it is not self-seeking, it is not easily angered, it keeps no record of wrongs. Love does not delight in evil but rejoices with the truth. It always protects, always trusts, always hopes, always perseveres.1 Corinthians 13:4

"including Civil War: 1862, Civil War: 1863, Civil War: 1864 and Civil War: Gettysburg were pulled with no warning due to the inclusion of the Confederate flag. "It seems disappointing that they would remove it as they weren't being used in an offensive way, being that they were historical war games and hence it was the flag used at the time,"

Love is patient, love is kind. It does not envy, it does not boast, it is not proud. It does not dishonor others, it is not self-seeking, it is not easily angered, it keeps no record of wrongs. Love does not delight in evil but rejoices with the truth. It always protects, always trusts, always hopes, always perseveres.1 Corinthians 13:4

Simply a political and "socially responsible" move (in their eyes).  Their stance regarding historical depiction was corrected, and the game is now available again.

Okay, that much is true, no denying it. But I'm not really talking about that in the quote though. :)

I was just trying to include alternate reasons to fight a war that were in play at the time, and are not as revolutionary as relinquishing control of the centuries old slave "laws".  Freeing the slaves sounds morally superior to:  It is my (north) land and you can't have it!

All about the battle for the citizen's mind... still going on today as well.

I was just trying to include alternate reasons to fight a war that were in play at the time, and are not as revolutionary as relinquishing control of the centuries old slave "laws".  Freeing the slaves sounds morally superior to:  It is my (north) land and you can't have it!

All about the battle for the citizen's mind... still going on today as well.

Oh, alright, sorry for the misunderstanding. :) 

The claims are that the north fought the war mostly to free the slaves though, which I was just pointing out to be wrong (angels reference). It just unsettles me to see so many blind sheep. -_-