4gb Vram st 1440p enough?

Otonel88

Hi guys. Planning to buy a new gpu. I wanted to go with the Fury X over the 980ti, but i just noticed it only has 4gb vram... Pfff. I will be gaming at 1440p

my concern is if 4gb is enough woth details on max and around 2x aa, msaa etc.

What do you guys think? Will i be running in this issue with games like gta v,skyrim etc at thees settings??

Which card would you choose at ultra settings and 2x aa for this resolution?

Thanks

I think it's fine.

Intel Core i7 7770K | 32 GB's Ram 3000MHz | GTX 1080 Ti | 250GB SSD | 3TB 7400 RPM | Sound Blaster Z | ASUS ROG MG278Q | Razer Blackwidow Chroma | Final Mouse 2015 | Blue Yeti | Seinheiser HD 600's | Beyerdynamic DT 990 Pro | Aune T1 MK2

we have no real fury x benchmarks and no price as far as i know but id still say 980TI

I spent $2500 on building my PC and all i do with it is play no games atm & watch anime at 1080p(finally) watch YT and write essays...  nothing, it just sits there collecting dust...

Builds:

The Toaster Project! Northern Bee!

The original LAN PC build log! (Old, dead and replaced by The Toaster Project & 5.0)

Spoiler

"Here is some advice that might have gotten lost somewhere along the way in your life. 

#1. Treat others as you would like to be treated.

#2. It's best to keep your mouth shut; and appear to be stupid, rather than open it and remove all doubt.

#3. There is nothing "wrong" with being wrong. Learning from a mistake can be more valuable than not making one in the first place.

Follow these simple rules in life, and I promise you, things magically get easier. " - MageTank 31-10-2016

4Gb vram for 1440p is plenty but that is provided the benchmarks are true. Either way wait for the fury X to be released.

i5 2400 | ASUS RTX 4090 TUF OC | Seasonic 1200W Prime Gold | WD Green 120gb | WD Blue 1tb | some ram | a random case

Hi guys. Planning to buy a new gpu. I wanted to go with the Fury X over the 980ti, but i just noticed it only has 4gb vram... Pfff. I will be gaming at 1440p

my concern is if 4gb is enough woth details on max and around 2x aa, msaa etc.

What do you guys think? Will i be running in this issue with games like gta v,skyrim etc at thees settings??

Which card would you choose at ultra settings and 2x aa for this resolution?

Thanks

I'd wait until we have the fury, for all that we know, nvidia might drop their prices to compete with AMD. After all the fury isn't going to be cheap, it's supposed to compete with the Titan, no?

4gb are PLENTY. But don't buy anything until the fury actually releases; benchmarks are the only thing that matters and right now we don't really have any reliable ones.

Don't ask to ask, just ask... please 🤨

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

Wait for the benchmarks.

My Gaming PC

|| CPU: Intel i5 4690@4.3Ghz || GPU: Dual ASUS gtx 1080 Strix. || RAM: 16gb (4x4gb) Kingston HyperX Genesis 1600Mhz. || Motherboard: MSI Z97S Krait edition. || OS: Win10 Pro

Trust me, Im an Engineer

ive always been a big fan of nvidia due to better drivers, lower tdp and better cooling, although i did want the r9 295x2 and as my favourite gpu for some time and still probably is.

the 980ti has more vram though and i dont care if the fury has "hbm" its still 4gb to me so the 980ti would be a better option for me personally.

Gpu: MSI 4G GTX 970 | Cpu: i5 4690k @4.6Ghz 1.23v | Cpu Cooler: Cryorig r1 ultimate | Ram: 1600mhz 2x8Gb corsair vengeance | Storage: sandisk ultra ii 128gb (os) 1TB WD Green | Psu: evga supernova g1 650watt | Case: fractal define s windowed |

4GB is almost always enough for 4K, so it will be fine for 1440p

// irenebb-pc v5 // [] Intel i5-9400F [] Radeon VII Lisa Su Edition [] 24GB Crucial Ballistix [] Acer ED323QUR (1440p/144hz) []

4gb are PLENTY. But don't buy anything until the fury actually releases; benchmarks are the only thing that matters and right now we don't really have any reliable ones.

What is the release date? Is it June 24th?

Love cats and Linus. Check out linuscattips-fan-club. http://pcpartpicker.com/p/Z9QDVn and Asus ROG Swift. I love anime as well. Check out Heaven Society heaven-society. My own personal giveaway thread http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/387856-evga-geforce-gtx-970-giveaway-presented-by-grimneo/.

I will definatelly wait for the benchmarks, and i really like the 980ti but seeing the water cooled fury it really pushes me to buy it. I will see the benchmarks and then decide. I also like the 980ti hybrid from evga, even if its a bit more expensive.

Heyyo,

4Gb vram for 1440p is plenty but that is provided the benchmarks are true. Either way wait for the fury X to be released.

This. 

We have to wait for the Furry X benchmarks. But 4 GB is enougth for 1440p as long as you don't go SLI. But that's not needed for 1440p....

SLI = NVIDIA, AMD = CrossFire... but yeah I know what you meant hehe. A single AMD Fury should do fine at 1440 for the most part... a few games might dip below 60fps with the details cranked to the max, but only a rare few.

BUT... 4GB of VRAM isn't much future-proof though... 2GB of VRAM isn't enough at 1920x1080 anymore. My 2GB GTX 680 SLI setup runs out of VRAM before my GPU useage even hits 70% in GTA V as a prime example. :P

Yep! June 24th is the slated release date. Benchmarks may show up beforehand as Hardware Canucks have already received their AMD Fury X.

https://www.facebook.com/hardwarecanucks/photos/a.10153910094040251.1073741827.309223735250/10155633967130251/?type=1&theater

10422557_10155633967130251_5263602599337

Dual 8 pin power connector... mmm so many power saving modes... neat.

So... I'll be saving my vote until AMD Fury benchmarks come out.

Heyyo,

My PC Build: https://pcpartpicker.com/b/sNPscf

My Android Phone: Exodus Android on my OnePlus One 64bit in Sandstone Black in a Ringke Fusion clear & slim protective case

HBM supposedly uses VRAM more efficiently. From benchmarks I've seen the card starts to run out of VRAM at around 5k resolutions. 4gb is definitely enough for 1440p, especially considering it's HBM

Nude Fist 1: i5-4590-ASRock h97 Anniversary-16gb Samsung 1333mhz-MSI GTX 970-Corsair 300r-Seagate HDD(s)-EVGA SuperNOVA 750b2

Name comes from anagramed sticker for "TUF Inside" (A sticker that came with my original ASUS motherboard)

Wait for Fury X to be officially released. No real benchmarks yet. 

G4MING RIG - CPU: i7 5930K  Cooling: Custom Loop  MOBO: Asus Rampage V Extreme  GPU: EVGA 980 Ti GTX Classified  RAM: Corsair Dominator Platinum DDR4 16 GB  SSD: Samsung 840 Pro  PSU: be quiet! Dark Power Pro 11 850W Platinum Certified  Sound: Asus Xonar Essence STX II  CASE: Phanteks Enthoo Primo  PERIPHERALS: Das Keyboard Ultimate 4, Logitech G502 Proteus Core, Sennheiser G4ME One, B&W MM-1, ROG SWIFT

Macbook Pro Retina 15" 2012CPU: i7 2,7 GHz  GPU: GT 650M,  RAM: 16GB,  SSD: 512GB

That's what I'm doing waiting for benchmarks. The thing that scares me is that I'm starting to see a bunch of people reporting problems with their 980tis crashing and still crashing after driver hot fixes have been installed. imo it never pays to be one of the first to buy a new product.

4GB is enough for 1440p, you may however run into some issues if you plan to mod Skyrim to Oblivion, pun intended.

Motherboard: Asus X570-E
CPU: 3900x 4.3GHZ

Memory: G.skill Trident GTZR 3200mhz cl14

GPU: AMD RX 570

SSD1: Corsair MP510 1TB

SSD2: Samsung MX500 500GB

PSU: Corsair AX860i Platinum

not sure

Don't ask to ask, just ask... please 🤨

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

That's what I'm doing waiting for benchmarks. The thing that scares me is that I'm starting to see a bunch of people reporting problems with their 980tis crashing and still crashing after driver hot fixes have been installed. imo it never pays to be one of the first to buy a new product.

NVIDIA's drivers are total mess right now. 

I randomly get black screen, or it just crashes the driver, even without OC.

G4MING RIG - CPU: i7 5930K  Cooling: Custom Loop  MOBO: Asus Rampage V Extreme  GPU: EVGA 980 Ti GTX Classified  RAM: Corsair Dominator Platinum DDR4 16 GB  SSD: Samsung 840 Pro  PSU: be quiet! Dark Power Pro 11 850W Platinum Certified  Sound: Asus Xonar Essence STX II  CASE: Phanteks Enthoo Primo  PERIPHERALS: Das Keyboard Ultimate 4, Logitech G502 Proteus Core, Sennheiser G4ME One, B&W MM-1, ROG SWIFT

Macbook Pro Retina 15" 2012CPU: i7 2,7 GHz  GPU: GT 650M,  RAM: 16GB,  SSD: 512GB

NVIDIA's drivers are total mess right now. 

I randomly get black screen, or it just crashes the driver, even without OC.

I must be one of the lucky ones. So far no issues. Knock on wood.

Love cats and Linus. Check out linuscattips-fan-club. http://pcpartpicker.com/p/Z9QDVn and Asus ROG Swift. I love anime as well. Check out Heaven Society heaven-society. My own personal giveaway thread http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/387856-evga-geforce-gtx-970-giveaway-presented-by-grimneo/.