How to Tell If a PSU is Quality

Russell450

I was looking for a replacement PSU for my HP desktop and I would like to know if a PSU will be quality. I looked at brands like Corsair and EVGA and I saw under reviews that they can smoke or catch on fire. I found one PSU that may be of some quality. That PSU is the EVGA 100-W1-0430-KR.

The ones that have the bad reviews are the Corsair CX430 and the EVGA 100-N1-0400-L1.

I was looking for a replacement PSU for my HP desktop and I would like to know if a PSU will be quality. I looked at brands like Corsair and EVGA and I saw under reviews that they can smoke or catch on fire. I found one PSU that may be of some quality. That PSU is the EVGA 100-W1-0430-KR.

The ones that have the bad reviews are the Corsair CX430 and the EVGA 100-N1-0400-L1.

Seasonic makes the best PSU's. Next would probably be Corsair. Then EVGA, for that list atleast

In the EVGA one, You see where it says N1? Well in that area look for whether it says a few of these, G1 G2 or GS, The first two means it was made my SuperFlower and the third one means it was made by SeaSonic.

i7-6700k  Cooling: Deepcool Captain 240EX White GPU: GTX 1080Ti EVGA FTW3 Mobo: AsRock Z170 Extreme4 Case: Phanteks P400s TG Special Black/White PSU: EVGA 850w GQ Ram: 64GB (3200Mhz 16x4 Corsair Vengeance RGB) Storage 1x 1TB Seagate Barracuda 240GBSandisk SSDPlus, 480GB OCZ Trion 150, 1TB Crucial NVMe
(Rest of Specs on Profile)

Read pro reviews not consumer (unless there is a major trend to the bad)

Best  way really.

I don'T PreSS caPs.. I juST Hit THe keYboARd so HarD iT CriTs :P

Quote or @dzzope to get my attention..

Seasonic makes the best PSU's. Next would probably be Corsair. Then EVGA, for that list atleast

No they don't.. Very good and decent value but not the best

I don'T PreSS caPs.. I juST Hit THe keYboARd so HarD iT CriTs :P

Quote or @dzzope to get my attention..

Seasonic makes the best PSU's

*Cough* SuperFlower *Cough* Btw SeaSonic makes some PSUs for EVGA

i7-6700k  Cooling: Deepcool Captain 240EX White GPU: GTX 1080Ti EVGA FTW3 Mobo: AsRock Z170 Extreme4 Case: Phanteks P400s TG Special Black/White PSU: EVGA 850w GQ Ram: 64GB (3200Mhz 16x4 Corsair Vengeance RGB) Storage 1x 1TB Seagate Barracuda 240GBSandisk SSDPlus, 480GB OCZ Trion 150, 1TB Crucial NVMe

most of the bad PSU manufacturers have been pretty much weeded out.

But the most popular and trusted brands i can think of from the top of my head would be

-XFX

-Evga

-Silverstone

-Fractal Design

-Corsair

-Seasonic

Probably several i have missed.

But it's not guaranteed that all the products from these brands are of the same quality, so i would look for popular and good reviewed units.

System

Spoiler

CPU: Intel Core i7 5820K @4.5GHz - 1.230v  RAM: HyperX Fury DDR4 4x4GB 2666MHz  MB: MSI X99S SLI PLUS  CASE: NZXT H440  CPU-COOLER: Fractal Design Kelvin S24  PSU: Corsair RM1000W w/ white sleeved cable kit  GPU: MSI GeForce RTX 2070 ARMOR  MONITOR: LG 27GL850-B  STORAGE: Samsung 970 EVO 1TB M.2, Samsung 840 EVO 256GB,  WD Red 3TB

Look for a good brand and a gold or better rated one. I would suggest maybe http://www.evga.com/Products/Product.aspx?pn=220-GS-0550-V1

I run the same one but 650W I did a video review but I don't think I can post it here. Pretty much I liked it and found it to be good, one cable was shorter than my liking but usable.

I personally have a EVGA SuperNova NEX and it is a great psu if you want to spend around/under 100$. Typically anything from EVGA and Corsair are extremely reliable. Never cheap out on a powersupply though and check to make sure the voltages are correct when getting it. Through a multi meter if possible but software works too.

Here is a good post on OCn if you are interested in the technical side of things and what constitues a safe voltage: http://www.overclock.net/t/722251/on-psu-voltages

Also here is my personal favorite website for psu reviews: http://www.jonnyguru.com/

Anyway technical stuff aside the one you listed, EVGA 100-W1-0430-KR, is a bit cheap for my tastes but should work great for your needs. I would defiantly check the voltages upon building the system or before hand with a multimeter. 

Look for a good brand and a gold or better rated one. I would suggest maybe http://www.evga.com/Products/Product.aspx?pn=220-GS-0550-V1

I run the same one but 650W I did a video review but I don't think I can post it here. Pretty much I liked it and found it to be good, one cable was shorter than my liking but usable.

Rating don't mean anything, that's just power efficiency.

Update to my previous post. G1 is made by FSP, Don't get a FSP PSU.

Basically anything with a 2 in it is made by SuperFlower. Superior PSU makers, like B2, W2, and the best one G2.

Anything with GS is made by SeaSonic, they are really good but not as good as the G2 series

*Cough* SuperFlower *Cough* Btw SeaSonic makes some PSUs for EVGA

Seasonic makes EVGA's, Corsair's, and XFX's top range PSU's

In the EVGA one, You see where it says N1? Well in that area look for whether it says a few of these, G1 G2 or GS, The first two means it was made my SuperFlower and the third one means it was made by SeaSonic.

most of the bad PSU manufacturers have been pretty much weeded out.

But the most popular and trusted brands i can think of from the top of my head would be

-XFX

-Evga

-Silverstone

-Fractal Design

-Corsair

-Seasonic

Probably several i have missed.

But it's not guaranteed that all the products from these brands are of the same quality, so i would look for popular and good reviewed units.

Thanks everybody, but I don't need anything very powerful. Just 300-450 watts. I would like something of quality but not with the huge price tag.

Yeah but most of EVGAs PSUs are SuperFlower, the most notable G2 series. http://www.realhardtechx.com/index_archivos/Page2293.htm Here's a handy website that tells you exactly who makes what PSU.

Dont get scared away by those bad reviews on the cx430 for example. Most people have good experiences and don't bother to review their parts(like me).

*Cough* SuperFlower *Cough*

A-Are they bad? D:

CPU: Ryzen 5 3600X            | Cooler: Deepcool AK400  | Motherboard: B550 Elite AX V2  | Storage: Samsung 980 Pro 1TB  |

RAM: Corsair Vengeance 16GB   | GPU: MSI RTX 3060 Ti    | Case: NZXT H440 (Red/Black)    | PSU: EVGA 650W G2             |

Rating don't mean anything, that's just power efficiency.

When buying with a good brand rating will affect quality of the components to some degree. So yes rating means something, well if you don't just look at it literally. 

No, they are very good.

Superflower is up there with SeaSonic as a top tier PSU manufacturer.

Ahaha, thanks. :)

CPU: Ryzen 5 3600X            | Cooler: Deepcool AK400  | Motherboard: B550 Elite AX V2  | Storage: Samsung 980 Pro 1TB  |

RAM: Corsair Vengeance 16GB   | GPU: MSI RTX 3060 Ti    | Case: NZXT H440 (Red/Black)    | PSU: EVGA 650W G2             |

Well, I am kind of set on a Corsair CX430. Would that be a good one? Or would an EVGA 100-W1-0430-KR be better?

GO TO JONNY GURU. 

Also, Corsair & EVGA PSUs don't catch on fire unless you put them on the wrong Power Rail (Like 240V or 100V)

They only make the GS and PS units for EVGA.

Most of Corsair's range is made by CWT these days. Seasonic make the AX and a few other models, although most of the stuff they do for Corsair is now discontinued. 

Seasonic make all XFX psu's.

Going by brand is a little tough....Price is also impoirtant. Seasonic make great PSUs but they make cheap shit too....

I would always recommend NOT cheaping out on PSU and motherboards. But people never listen:P

They only make the GS and PS units for EVGA.

Most of Corsair's range is made by CWT these days. Seasonic make the AX and a few other models, although most of the stuff they do for Corsair is now discontinued. 

Seasonic make all XFX psu's.

And the AX is far better than the rest of Corsairs line......Their HX are pathetic in comparison. Maybe Corsair should just stick with Seasonic

The Mistress: Case: Corsair 760t   CPU:  Intel Core i7-4790K 4GHz(stock speed at the moment) - GPU: MSI 970 - MOBO: MSI Z97 Gaming 5 - RAM: Crucial Ballistic Sport 1600MHZ CL9 - PSU: Corsair AX760  - STORAGE: 128Gb Samsung EVO SSD/ 1TB WD Blue/Several older WD blacks.