Advice on new pc

IanD

Hello there, my current pc is slowly becoming underpowered for the games I want to play.

Current

Sandy Bridge i5 2500k running at 4400ghz when under load

gtx 770 superclocked from EVGA

8gb 1600 hyperx ram (I believe it is the savage)

h90 corsair sealed liquid cooler

P8 p67 pro REV 3.1

Storm Trooper case

700w silent pro from cooler master

My idea so far is

Components being kept-

Case

Power supply

graphics card (for now while I save up some more, planning on a 980ti a month after build)

h90 cooler

New

i7 3820k hex core (points for Tedster catching that I meant 5820k not 3820 also deviz also cautght it) 

16gb ddr4 2800 corsair dominator platinum

asus sabertooth x99

samsung ssd 

Currently running 2 1080p monitors but would like to be able to upgrade with a third 4k monitor at some point after getting hold of a 980ti

ok hope someone can give me some pointers or ideas

for example one thing im not sure about what size ssd to get, am thinking 1 tb as i will be clearing out a lot of older game i dont play anymore and could fit everything on it even now with plenty of space left over.

Thx 

Welcome to the Forum.

No easy way to say this but your proposed build won't work:

The 3820k requires an X79 motherboard and DDR3 memory.

If I were you I'd get an i5 4690k and a decent Z97 motherboard, sell the 770 and get the best card you can afford, pick up another 8GB RAM, stay with the same case and PSU. If you want an SSD, get a Samsung 850 Evo.

Sig under construction.

3820K and x99 board don't fit. You need a x79 board.

CPU i5 3570k MOBO Asus Maximus Gene V GPU Asus DCUII 670 CASE Corsair 350D (windowless) SSD Crucial M550 256GB msata CPU COOLER Noctua NH-D14 RAM Corsair XMS3 8GB 1600mhz PSU Corsair AX750 Display Asus PB287Q 4K (my review on it http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/380533-journey-into-4k-goodness-asus-pb287q-review/) & Asus VH236H 1080P

Keyboard Logitech G710+ MX Brown Mouse Logitech G502 (my review on it http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/299464-logitech-g502/ )

Proud owner of a BlackBerry Q10.

Hi, is this only for games? If yes then just upgrade your GPU and maybe RAM if you feel like 8GB is not enough. Get SSD. Rest is good.

Dude Sandy bridge is a fucking champ for being old, at the same clock speeds it will perform 85-90% of what a current gen haswell can do, so honestly keep everything except your GPU jump to a 290 and your set, unless you want to be gaming at something beyond 1080p and 60fps with maxed out graphics.

If you're only playing games, use only 8 GB. 16 GB is for heavy workloads, such as rendering.

Blue Jay

CPU: Intel Core i7 6700k (OC'd 4.4GHz) Cooler: CM Hyper 212 Evo Mobo: MSI Z170A Gaming Pro Carbon GPU: EVGA GTX 950 SSC RAM: Crucial Ballistix Sport 8GB (1x8GB) SSD: Samsung 850 EVO 250 GB HDD: Seagate Barracuda 1TB Case: NZXT S340 Black/Blue PSU: Corsair CX430M

Other Stuff

Monitor: Acer H236HL BID Mouse: Logitech G502 Proteus Spectrum Keyboard: I don't even know Mouse Pad: SteelSeries QcK Headset: Turtle Beach X12

GitHub

Hello there, my current pc is slowly becoming underpowered for the games I want to play.

Current

Sandy Bridge i5 2500k running at 4400ghz when under load

gtx 770 superclocked from EVGA

8gb 1600 hyperx ram (I believe it is the savage)

h90 corsair sealed liquid cooler

P8 p67 pro REV 3.1

Storm Trooper case

700w silent pro from cooler master

My idea so far is

Components being kept-

Case

Power supply

graphics card (for now while I save up some more, planning on a 980ti a month after build)

h90 cooler

New

i7 3820k hex core

16gb ddr4 2800 corsair dominator platinum

asus sabertooth x99

samsung ssd 

Currently running 2 1080p monitors but would like to be able to upgrade with a third 4k monitor at some point after getting hold of a 980ti

ok hope someone can give me some pointers or ideas

for example one thing im not sure about what size ssd to get, am thinking 1 tb as i will be clearing out a lot of older game i dont play anymore and could fit everything on it even now with plenty of space left over.

Thx 

theres really nothing wrong with your current setup

heres what I would do

buy a 980ti now

and throw it in 

maybe a new power supply to

then around xmas get a new skylake cpu and motherboard and ram

If you need remote help fixing something on your computer

I can help over Teamviewer if you wish

just msg me on my profile

oops i see my blunder, 5820k is what I meant good catch.

Welcome to the Forum.

No easy way to say this but your proposed build won't work:

The 3820k requires an X79 motherboard and DDR3 memory.

If I were you I'd get an i5 4690k and a decent Z97 motherboard, sell the 770 and get the best card you can afford, pick up another 8GB RAM, stay with the same case and PSU. If you want an SSD, get a Samsung 850 Evo.

If you're only playing games, use only 8 GB. 16 GB is for heavy workloads, such as rendering.

I am also a qualified architectural technologist and will hopefully be running 3d modelling renders. Hopefully in that I am still looking for a job in that crosses fingers. 

Dude Sandy bridge is a fucking champ for being old, at the same clock speeds it will perform 85-90% of what a current gen haswell can do, so honestly keep everything except your GPU jump to a 290 and your set, unless you want to be gaming at something beyond 1080p and 60fps with maxed out graphics.

Maybe I should... hmm it is currently running the (performance) profile built into the motherboards bios, I might have a go overclocking the thing myself and see what it can realy do. Currently under 100% load on all cores running a 3d render after 13mins only one of the cores reached 60 3dmark firestrike extreme pushed it to 58-59 so if got a lot of room temperature wise to play with.

Maybe I should... hmm it is currently running the (performance) profile built into the motherboards bios, I might have a go overclocking the thing myself and see what it can realy do. Currently under 100% load on all cores running a 3d render after 13mins only one of the cores reached 60 3dmark firestrike extreme pushed it to 58-59 so if got a lot of room temperature wise to play with.

If you have a good cooler Sandy overclocks like a boss.

Just get an i5 4690k with a z97 board with a new GPU (980 Ti maybe?)

If you have a good cooler Sandy overclocks like a boss.

The h90 has worked a treat, got it when the stock cooler (i had been meaning to chance since I built the thing back in 2011) started being very ineffective at the start of this year, hitting 90-98 in basic games like league of legends so I got a bit worried that i was cooking the cpu. The was before I switched on inbuilt overclocker on motherboard, was amazed that between stock speed and the 1000htz the bios profile added I only saw a 5 degree increase in temps.

Thx to all those who gave advice to a new forum member, I think ill hold off getting anything until the new cpus are released.