Is it worth me upgrading this year, or waiting for the next generation?

Go to solution Solved by bomerr,

no. 970 is meh. Wait till pascal, it'll be worth it.

This Christmas, I'm considering pulling the trigger and blowing some money on a 4GB GTX 970 from EVGA. Coupled with a fresh install of Windows (Windows 10), it should be a nice upgrade. But, if we're being honest, the 770 is still not a slow card. I don't want to part with it after only a year. I'm not seeing my performance lacking at all - GTA:V on Very High to Ultra is 60 FPS solid, Witcher 3 on Ultra is 60 FPS solid, even my ridiculously over-modded Skyrim is getting anywhere from 30-40 (and that is truly the only game that would benefit hugely from a 4GB card.)

If I don't blow on this, should I wait for another year or even two, and then go for a complete rebuild, or get a monster card. Or perhaps I could finally get myself a Moto 360. Or maybe I could just be sensible and save it for a rainy day.

Please give me your input, and thanks a lot.

i5 4670k | MSI Z87-G43 | NH-U12S | Corsair Vengeance 16GB | Samsung 840 EVO 120GB | Seagate Barracuda 2TB | GTX 770 SC ACX | Define R4

That card certainly isn't shit so I'd wait

DESKTOP - Motherboard - Gigabyte GA-Z77X-D3H Processor - Intel Core i5-2500K @ Stock 1.135v Cooling - Cooler Master Hyper TX3 RAM - Kingston Hyper-X Fury White 4x4GB DDR3-1866 Graphics Card - MSI GeForce GTX 780 Lightning PSU - Seasonic M12II EVO Edition 850w  HDD -  WD Caviar  Blue 500GB (Boot Drive)  /  WD Scorpio Black 750GB (Games Storage) / WD Green 2TB (Main Storage) Case - Cooler Master 335U Elite OS - Microsoft Windows 7 Ultimate

That card certainly isn't shit so I'd wait

You're not wrong, I am merely addicted to those sweet sweet FPS's.

i5 4670k | MSI Z87-G43 | NH-U12S | Corsair Vengeance 16GB | Samsung 840 EVO 120GB | Seagate Barracuda 2TB | GTX 770 SC ACX | Define R4

This Christmas, I'm considering pulling the trigger and blowing some money on a 4GB GTX 970 from EVGA. Coupled with a fresh install of Windows (Windows 10), it should be a nice upgrade. But, if we're being honest, the 770 is still not a slow card. I don't want to part with it after only a year. I'm not seeing my performance lacking at all - GTA:V on Very High to Ultra is 60 FPS solid, Witcher 3 on Ultra is 60 FPS solid, even my ridiculously over-modded Skyrim is getting anywhere from 30-40 (and that is truly the only game that would benefit hugely from a 4GB card.)

If I don't blow on this, should I wait for another year or even two, and then go for a complete rebuild, or get a monster card. Or perhaps I could finally get myself a Moto 360. Or maybe I could just be sensible and save it for a rainy day.

I'd see how much the new AMD cards bump prices down, which should be within the next month or so. 980's should get even cheaper now.

i7 8086k @ 5.3Ghz / 32GB DDR4 Trident Z RGB @ 3733Mhz / Aorus GTX 1080 11Gbps / PG348Q

I'd see how much the new AMD cards bump prices down, which should be within the next month or so. 980's should get even cheaper now.

Oh god, don't tempt me. My wallet already hates me.

I assume your playing at 1080? I would keep the 770 for one more gpu cycle - say another 9-15 months

Sim Rig:  Valve Index - Acer XV273KP - 5950x - GTX 2080ti - B550 Master - 32 GB ddr4 @ 3800c14 - DG-85 - HX1200 - 360mm AIO

Long Live VR. Pancake gaming is dead.

I assume your playing at 1080? I would keep the 770 for one more gpu cycle - say another 9-15 months

1080 yes, but I'm also waiting for the Rift to come out, and I doubt my current setup will handle it.

You're not wrong, I am merely addicted to those sweet sweet FPS's.

We all are but since it is still a competant card I would wait until the current 900 Series drop in price or wait and see what becomes of Pascal next year.

DESKTOP - Motherboard - Gigabyte GA-Z77X-D3H Processor - Intel Core i5-2500K @ Stock 1.135v Cooling - Cooler Master Hyper TX3 RAM - Kingston Hyper-X Fury White 4x4GB DDR3-1866 Graphics Card - MSI GeForce GTX 780 Lightning PSU - Seasonic M12II EVO Edition 850w  HDD -  WD Caviar  Blue 500GB (Boot Drive)  /  WD Scorpio Black 750GB (Games Storage) / WD Green 2TB (Main Storage) Case - Cooler Master 335U Elite OS - Microsoft Windows 7 Ultimate

I always say. if you get the fps you need then no reason to upgrade unless you want one specific feature. I say wait a bit. If you on 1080p 60hz and you get 60fps in most games then no point upgrading but if you wnat to go either 1440p60hz, 1440p/1440hz or 1080p/144hz then I say upgrade but for now I think your card should be fine. Next year pascal will be worthwhile according to what's been rumored so far. Start saving now for a beast monitor and pascal GPU because when it launch you will have enough money to get the best gpu and the best screen I suppose or at least enough money to upgrade. 

Also wait for dx12 to come cause that will make games even faster. I was also thinking of upgrading from r9 280x crossfire to gtx980ti. I'm on 2560x1440 @ 96hz but I'm still going to wait for dx12 titles to come out to see where things are going cause I have the feeling dx12 will breath some life into my gpu's again. So all in all wait for pascal I should say.

Whatever you feel comfortable with man. I know people who upgrade every new release, I know others who upgrade only after 3 years... I upgrade when I feel I am having to sacrifice to many settings in the pursuit of a stable 60 fps.

If you are concerned about spending the money and it being worth it performance wise especially at 1080p 60fps, I would say stick to your 770... if you want something new to play with or want the latest then go for it man, you don't have to justify every single purchase as a performance one.

Looking at it from a pure performance perspective, I would say considering you're already happy with the 770 which indeed is not a slow card by any means, the performance you will gain will be small compared to if you waited till next gen. between the release of Pascal and now there is a small gap between a 770 and 970 at 1080p 60fps... maybe a few settings here and their but both cards still perform well.

1080 yes, but I'm also waiting for the Rift to come out, and I doubt my current setup will handle it.

best bet is to wait for the rift and buy then - cards will certainly be cheaper by then - its still 9 months away until the rift and there may be short supply at first, plus waiting a bit after release might be worth it - I have a DK2 and its REALLY got some work to go, development is still sketchy at best... its fine for a tech demo at a conference but as a home use device its really REALLY bad. 

Sim Rig:  Valve Index - Acer XV273KP - 5950x - GTX 2080ti - B550 Master - 32 GB ddr4 @ 3800c14 - DG-85 - HX1200 - 360mm AIO

Long Live VR. Pancake gaming is dead.