Turning HDD on and off while system is running - what do I need (hardware / software)?

Stefan1024
Go to solution Solved by kichilron,

This should be exactly what you need:

So the situation is like this:

I'd like to use a HDD in my totally noiseless system for large data sets and back-ups. I will hardly ever need it, like once a week. So I'd like to turn it off / disconnect it while not is use, so the drive won't spinn and creates noise. I know a hot swap bay will work, but I can't fit it in my build. So I'm searching for some kind of hardware that can be controlled with a hardware button / switch to trun the drive on and off. I saw this once in a prebuild system but I can't remember what they ware using.

Or does anyone knows a good software to do this?

Mineral oil and 40 kg aluminium heat sinks are a perfect combination: 73 cores and a Titan X, Twenty Thousand Leagues Under the Oil

This should be exactly what you need:

DayZ Forum Moderator, DayZ Developer, ARMA 3: 2017 Developer, System-Admin, Gameserver-Admin, always interested to learn something new as well as new people.

Device manager and turn the disks off? @Stefan1024

QUOTE ME IN A REPLY SO I CAN SEE THE NOTIFICATION!

When there is no danger of failure there is no pleasure in success.

-snip-

that guy makes me cringe, his solutions for stuff is SO shady sometimes...

why would you need a program monitoring for HDD insertions if windows has this amazing thing called autorun.inf

other than that, the switch looks like an interesting idea, although i'm not too sure about what sudden power loss will do to a drive.

(i guess its just like pulling it out of a bay, but i feel iffy about it, probably because of the guy...)

--

other than that, have you thought of network storage as an option?

EDIT: i'll add in a sales pitch: theres no drive more slient as one that's not even there.

that guy makes me cringe, his solutions for stuff is SO shady sometimes...

why would you need a program monitoring for HDD insertions if windows has this amazing thing called autorun.inf

other than that, the switch looks like an interesting idea, although i'm not too sure about what sudden power loss will do to a drive.

(i guess its just like pulling it out of a bay, but i feel iffy about it, probably because of the guy...)

--

other than that, have you thought of network storage as an option?

EDIT: i'll add in a sales pitch: theres no drive more slient as one that's not even there.

I have a NAS, but it's a bit far away and the crappy powerline only manages to achive ~150Mbps, what gives me 10 MBytes per second :wacko:

I found these on he WD homepage. As long as I "remove" the hardware before I turn the power off it will be fine.

http://wdc.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/941/~/hot-swap-or-hot-plug-wd-sata-drives

And how the guy threads the boost up converter in this video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c--5c3Egv4E made me cry to. But he has some good ideas, and with a bit of customization they are good.

Mineral oil and 40 kg aluminium heat sinks are a perfect combination: 73 cores and a Titan X, Twenty Thousand Leagues Under the Oil