AMD Hate?

Nosmada09

Hardly anyone hates AMD.  

Why must people confuse pointing out when a product becomes inferior with hate.   How often do you see people ask why we all hate celeron CPU's? how often do you hear people ask why we all hate semprons?  people don't ask because we don't hate them, they just aren't good enough for our needs and at various price points can't be honestly recommended with due consideration.    Which is completely different.

Unfortunately AMD has fallen a long way behind with CPU performance and this makes them very difficult to recommend when 99% of builds are for games and various uses that an i3/i5 is better at.   Again this is not hate, this is just recommending a better product.

With regard to GPU's there is little misinformation going around.  The heat and power load thing is a problem but that is the mob mentality on the net that is spurring that on, not specifically a hatred towards AMD.  The same thing happened with fermi, it happens with console games and FPS etc.

Grammar and spelling is not indicative of intelligence/knowledge.  Not having the same opinion does not always mean lack of understanding.  

Oh god, the ignorance.

Yep its more like shit CPU's after the Phenom II days, and inefficient GPU's in comparison to Maxwell (though the power gap is less than 100W).

"We also blind small animals with cosmetics.
We do not sell cosmetics. We just blind animals."

"Please don't mistake us for Equifax. Those fuckers are evil"

This PSA brought to you by Equifacks.
PMSL

Write a tumblr-post OP, i suggest calling it "intelism". You can write how the mean Intelarchy is opressing you and give other names for well-known conditions. Make up as many conditions and you'll reach the top of the opression pole and you ll never have to endure criticism again. Because you can just refer to their priviliges.

Hugbox chronicles.

Yep its more like shit CPU's after the Phenom II days, and inefficient GPU's in comparison to Maxwell (though the power gap is less than 100W).

Not that they are shit, just sub mediocre poo.

The 3xx line better have something promising that isn't a rebrand in the R9 line, or I'm going back to SLIs too.  <.<

Well your plain out of luck, and as I've said before (and what Linus said to the same effect), fully unlocked GPU's aren't new GPU's.

PMSL

Out of curiosity is it just the APUs that AMD is working with ARM on?  Because if they are working on the GPUs with them then the 3xx line would be more efficient.

I honestly don't know. I think AMD was working on the CPU side of things, and I've heard rumours of Ati graphics being used in some ARM based processors. (I call it Ati because AMD had fuck all to do with the IP that they are using-it all has come from the Ati side of things)

PMSL

My problem with amd is: both cpu and gpu are drawing to much power out of the wall and as a consequence, they produce to much heat. Additionally, i personally prefer the mounting mechanism of intel cpus over amd ones. But that's no hate, i only think that's an engineering problem of amd. I don't see a full amd pc (cpu and gpu) with the same power in rendering and gaming using only 230W under full load (xeon 1231v3, gtx970 gaming g1)

GUITAR BUILD LOG FROM SCRATCH OUT OF APPLEWOOD

- Ryzen Build -

R5 3600 | MSI X470 Gaming Plus MAX | 16GB CL16 3200MHz Corsair LPX | Dark Rock 4

MSI 2060 Super Gaming X

1TB Intel 660p | 250GB Kingston A2000 | 1TB Seagate Barracuda | 2TB WD Blue

be quiet! Silent Base 601 | be quiet! Straight Power 550W CM

2x Dell UP2516D

- First System (Retired) -

Intel Xeon 1231v3 | 16GB Crucial Ballistix Sport Dual Channel | Gigabyte H97 D3H | Gigabyte GTX 970 Gaming G1 | 525 GB Crucial MX 300 | 1 TB + 2 TB Seagate HDD
be quiet! 500W Straight Power E10 CM | be quiet! Silent Base 800 with stock fans | be quiet! Dark Rock Advanced C1 | 2x Dell UP2516D

Reviews: be quiet! Silent Base 800 | MSI GTX 950 OC

Well, I'm mostly asking because I am going to be working on the IDTech 6 and a few other high end engines when I transfer into a game dev program.

Just optimize for the 8GB R9 290X/other current AMD cards as well as Nvidia's current cards and things should be fine. Especially considering the fact that chances are the R9 290X will carry into the R9 4** series.

PMSL

Why is there so much hate towards AMD? Can anyone give me an honest non-condescending answer?

I personally don't like take a side one way or the other I just enjoy the tech, but everytime I post something that remotely involves AMD I immediately get replies telling me AMD sucks and I need to use Intel or Nvidia. Most of the time the posters aren't even answering my questions and many of the times are blatantly wrong, suggesting things like the lowest end Intel CPU would be better than a hi end AMD.

I just want to know why there is so much hate and misinformation. Because honestly all of the people that just immediately start sprouting AMD hate and Intel/Nvidia "Pride" are really starting to annoy me and push me away from their products.

but on the other side: I like amd's idea for using the graphics card to compute if the cpu isn't capable of.

GUITAR BUILD LOG FROM SCRATCH OUT OF APPLEWOOD

- Ryzen Build -

R5 3600 | MSI X470 Gaming Plus MAX | 16GB CL16 3200MHz Corsair LPX | Dark Rock 4

MSI 2060 Super Gaming X

1TB Intel 660p | 250GB Kingston A2000 | 1TB Seagate Barracuda | 2TB WD Blue

be quiet! Silent Base 601 | be quiet! Straight Power 550W CM

2x Dell UP2516D

- First System (Retired) -

Intel Xeon 1231v3 | 16GB Crucial Ballistix Sport Dual Channel | Gigabyte H97 D3H | Gigabyte GTX 970 Gaming G1 | 525 GB Crucial MX 300 | 1 TB + 2 TB Seagate HDD
be quiet! 500W Straight Power E10 CM | be quiet! Silent Base 800 with stock fans | be quiet! Dark Rock Advanced C1 | 2x Dell UP2516D

Reviews: be quiet! Silent Base 800 | MSI GTX 950 OC

AMD stated the new APUs and CPUs, guess just APUs now, are being engineered with the aid of ARM to lower the power consumption of the processors.  As for ATI I know that. I remember when they were different companies.  I even had a piece o' crap Alienware before Dell bought them.

I have one of their Mobility Radeon 9000igp in my old P4 laptop (3.2GHz Northwood @ 3.9GHz 24/7 stable). Even though it was 'directX 9C' compliant, I only ever had DX8 games running on it without the GPU locking up.

PMSL

I was considering a 980 SLI or a Titan X SLI.  But, I think a 980 SLI would make more sense since we are doing more demo projects than actually developing a bunch of products for developers.  So, I dunno if I'd need the VRAM or not.  I'm waiting for more of ID to display the rest of that sexy Voxel engine Carmack finished for the new Doom game before he quit to front the ORVR project.

Either way it shouldn't be too difficult to downscale to slower graphics cards, should it?

PMSL

Why is there so much hate towards AMD? Can anyone give me an honest non-condescending answer?

I personally don't like take a side one way or the other I just enjoy the tech, but everytime I post something that remotely involves AMD I immediately get replies telling me AMD sucks and I need to use Intel or Nvidia. Most of the time the posters aren't even answering my questions and many of the times are blatantly wrong, suggesting things like the lowest end Intel CPU would be better than a hi end AMD.

I just want to know why there is so much hate and misinformation. Because honestly all of the people that just immediately start sprouting AMD hate and Intel/Nvidia "Pride" are really starting to annoy me and push me away from their products.

AMD tend to make bad decisions with new CPU/ gpu releases.

They're losing on both fronts too.

For CPUs their CPUs are rubbih altogether. A 180euro i5 (lower end like i5 4460) wrecks all of their CPU lineup in gaming. Some might argue their highest end cpuse are good but they have still less single threaded performance and are ridiculously power hungry.

Also they over hyped their bulldozer CPUs and that went down the drain.

As for GPUs, they aren't bad here. Again, bad decisions but they are competitive on the low-mid range GPUs.

Their downfall in GPUs is, their 200 series was a rebrand and were still fairly power hungry. Took them longer than usual to release a new lineup (only being announced next week)

And based on all their leaks and news, the whole frikin lineup is a rebrand of an already rebranded lineup.

The 290/x were the only 2 cards last time that were new. This time it looks like the 390/x will be rebrands too. Which is BS!

If only their Fury card will be a brand new card, they will lose a lot of their fans.

So to sum it up from a neutral point of view:

In CPU wars, intel all the way right now. There's 0 competition since the phenom series died.

In GPU wars, nvidia release more power efficient, cooler(heat) cards.

I'm currently waiting to see what the 380/x will be like compared to the 970 before making my decision with who I'm going with on my upcoming upgrade. If rumours are true and the mid range cards are over 200w then I'm sticking with the green team.

More power efficient > slightly cheaper purchase when you pay your own bills..

AMDs glory days of GPUs was the 7*** series. Man the 7770 held best bang for the buck title for quite some time.

Hope that answers your question.

There's no short answer to this simply because you need to have followed a few years of the rivalry to see why was going on.

Also, I'd like to add that fanboyism plays a huge part to AMD bashing. Most people have no idea what they're talking about..

Not true. 2012-2014 saw new Opterons, but that doesn't mean they were good. Cuz Intel pretty much took over as IBM's really only rival.

Aren't opterons server CPUs? Doubt many people here care about those. And the APUs are rubbish when bundled with discrete GPUs.

I built my brother a PC with a phenom 2 x4 955 or whatever it was called, some chip. But since then I haven't suggested a single AMD cpu

i really don't get it when amd do rebrand their gpu everyone gets angry, but when nvidia rebrand thier gpu everybody is ok( 680 = 770).

and are you have to upgrade your cpu and motherboard every year just to get 10% better performance? aren't they just milking you?

Rig: CPU: Intel I7 4790k @ 4.5 ghz | MOBO: MSI Z97 Gaming 3 | RAM: 4x4 gigs Kingston Fury 1600 ddr3 | GPU: MSI Geforce GTX 1070 Gaming X PSU: Seasonic M12ii-620 Evo Edition | HDD: 1 TB WD, 500 GB WD | SSD: Kingston SSD now 240 and 120 GB CASE: In Win 303 RGB edition | Mouse: Corsair m65 pro | Keyboard: Roccat Ryos MK | Headset: Hyper X Cloud Pro  | Monitor: LG 29um58-P Ultrawide monitor.

"everytime I post something that remotely involves AMD I immediately get replies telling me AMD sucks and I need to use Intel or Nvidia"

Where? When?

I keep trying to give them a chance... but they keep falling short.  CPU/Mobo, lagging way behind Intel for DDR4 support...and there is just so many more quality mobos on the Intel side its crazy... GPUs, similar price/performance vs Nvidia but little cost savings vs the heat and power they consume to get the same job done.

because some people have no concept of value, and expect a 100$ cpu to keep up with one that costs twice as much

IMho, old socket doesnt matter. because by the time i upgrade my pc, Im not going to put another 1150 cpu in there. im going to have to change out the motherboard anyway, so the fact the current one is old means jack shit.

issue is amd has almost no market share, which means little sales, which means little R&D money. only reason they are still around is because Intel and Nvidia cant let them die

Personally if I'm going for anything more than $100 ill go Intel (i5-Xeon ect) but $100 and less ill go with an FX 6300 or Athlon (FX 6300 is still AMAZING ptf especially since you can bundle it with a decent mobo for under $100 at micro center)

I don't hate AMD as much as Intel right now, Intel has had a lot of problems to lately that people really haven't talked about such as the CPU not sitting correctly in the 2011-3 socket (x99). I'm not siding with either but both have problems that need to be addressed.

Also I don't use my computer mostly for gaming (only about 20% of the time) and even when I do I am able to play the latest games no problem so when people complain about bad gaming performance I don't know were they are getting that. Anyways I'm starting to rant but both companys have problems they need to work on.

A shadowy flight into the dangerous world of a man who does not exist.

Core 4 Quad Not Extreme, only available on LGA 557 at your local Circuit City

I don't hate them, I am frustrated with AMD and their inability to compete in their GPU and CPU markets.

They're second place in both the CPU and GPU market and there is a large margin between them and the first place competitors in each.

The problem is that AMD doesn't have the income to compete, their competitors are so much more advanced and successful that when ever AMD tries to push things their competitors are able to drop some advanced exciting tech they've been holding on to with no real rush to bring it to market because they are so far ahead of AMD.

The CPU and GPU markets are stagnating and with AMD's financial woes there is a very real possibility of there becoming no one to compete with Intel and Nvidia in their respective markets.

I don 't hate them. There's just better options for me personally.

"It's a taxi, it has a FARE METER."

Speaking as someone who just switched from an FX 9590 to a 5930k, I'm going to say that I was absolutely staggered by the difference playing games like Total War and Cities Skylines.

It's night and bloody day, with the 5930k being at least 2-3x faster than the 9590 in any physics test.

Graphics cards, I have a feeling is still going to be a game of leapfrog between the two, as yes, some people do have 390x's from BestBuys fuckup, but the drivers aren't even out for the cards yet, so let's wait and see what happens over the next week here before we all go jumping to conclusions about what's what here.

CPU: Intel 5930k cooled by H110i GT Mobo: MSI X99S XPower AC RAM: 32GB Dominator Platinum 2800mhz GPU: 2x MSi Lightning 290x SSD: 512GB 850 Pro HDD: 4&2TB WD Black PSU: Corsair AX1500i Case: Corsair 900D Monitor: 3xVG248QE  Keyboard: Logitech G910 Orion Spark  Mouse: Logitech G700s  Headset: Astro A50

I like chocolate milk.

I don't hate them, I am frustrated with AMD and their inability to compete in their GPU and CPU markets.

They're second place in both the CPU and GPU market and there is a large margin between them and the first place competitors in each.

The problem is that AMD doesn't have the income to compete, their competitors are so much more advanced and successful that when ever AMD tries to push things their competitors are able to drop some advanced exciting tech they've been holding on to with no real rush to bring it to market because they are so far ahead of AMD.

The CPU and GPU markets are stagnating and with AMD's financial woes there is a very real possibility of there becoming no one to compete with Intel and Nvidia in their respective markets.

AMD's financial woes are from consumers speaking with their wallets BTW.

PMSL