Do you think an Unlocked core i3 would be cool?

Your benchmark shows a visible performance difference.

And that is only gaming. Under applications it gets nicely beaten.

I'd like to see Intel-Tri core CPU's released

3c6t with HT and 3c3t without HT.

Non-K Skew 3.2-3.8Ghz Base/Turbo

Unlocked K - 3.5-4.0 Base /w 4.0-4.3 Turbo + K-skew OC potential

Gaming top tier performance on a focused GPU orientated budget, with decent multithreading abilities and nice gains over standard i3+HT offerings.

Maximums - Asus Z97-K /w i5 4690 Bclk @106.9Mhz * x39 = 4.17Ghz, 8GB of 2600Mhz DDR3,.. Gigabyte GTX970 G1-Gaming @ 1550Mhz

uhhhhh, sorry, where did I ever say that you had to overclock your processor? I said you could, it's not necessary at all. You can totally buy the $120 processor and use the stock heatsink, that's completely fine.

http://www.xbitlabs.com/articles/cpu/display/core-i3-4340-4330-4130_5.html

your benchmarks basically show that for the same price as an i3 and expensive heatsink you can get an overclockable i5 which at stock speeds is not only faster in every single gaming application but also in basically every other application aswell

good one you really convinced me with those hot benchmarks

Personal Rig v3: AMD Ryzen 7 2700X | Noctua NH-U14S | Gigabyte B450 Aorus Pro ITX | Zotac GTX 2070 8GB | 16GB G-Skill Trident DDR4 3200MHz | EVGA Supernova 750B | Phanteks Enthoo Evolv ITX 

Peripherals: Sennheiser HD518 & Classic ModMic | Corsair K65 Luxe | Zowie EC2 | ASUS VG259QM  |  ASUS VG278E | Klipsch ProMedia 2.1

Intel would lose a ton of money if they released something that good. An unlocked i3 would be amazing for budget PCs and nobody would buy their overpriced i5s anymore

Nude Fist 1: i5-4590-ASRock h97 Anniversary-16gb Samsung 1333mhz-MSI GTX 970-Corsair 300r-Seagate HDD(s)-EVGA SuperNOVA 750b2

Name comes from anagramed sticker for "TUF Inside" (A sticker that came with my original ASUS motherboard)

As far as I can see, someone willing to blow the money on an AIO or good air cooler to overclock their Intel CPU, can afford the increase to an i5.

NCASE M1 i5-9600k  GTX 1080 FE Z370N-WIFI SF600 NH-U9S LPX 32GB 960EVO

I'm a self-identifying Corsair Nvidia Fanboy; Get over it.

your benchmarks basically show that for the same price as an i3 and expensive heatsink you can get an overclockable i5 which at stock speeds is not only faster in every single gaming application but also in basically every other application aswell

good one you really convinced me with those hot benchmarks

Hey, whatever, man. I was just showing the difference between what you can get and how much money you spend. the extra cost for a locked i5 is not indicative at all of how much of a performance increase you can expect. That was the point of the benchmark. Unlocked processors had nothing to do with it.

There seems to be a prejudice here against people who use i3s and I think based on price it's totally uncalled for. But that's just me. Everyone cheered when the G3258 came out because of its overclocking potential and the i3 users went ignored. Okay, sounds cool...

First gen i3 was overclockable... but now an i3 has HT... it would REKT i5.

AMD Phenom II B55 Quad / unlocked dual core 4.3ghz CB R15 = CB 422
XFX R9 390 8GB MY RIG: http://uk.pcpartpicker.com/p/MVwQsY
Fastest 7770 on LTT . 3rd Fastest Phenom II Quad on LTT

PCSX2 on AMD CPU? http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/412377-pcsx2-emulator-4096x2160-amd-phenom-ii/#entry5550588

*cough Pentium G3258 *cough

Hey, whatever, man. I was just showing the difference between what you can get and how much money you spend. the extra cost for a locked i5 is not indicative at all of how much of a performance increase you can expect. That was the point of the benchmark. Unlocked processors had nothing to do with it.

There seems to be a prejudice here against people who use i3s and I think based on price it's totally uncalled for. But that's just me. Everyone cheered when the G3258 came out because of its overclocking potential and the i3 users went ignored. Okay, sounds cool...

I think there was a communication problem.

No one said that the i3 is a bad purchase. We are saying that an overclockable i3 (which we assume the same price, let's be honest, it is Intel, they'll charge more, but ignoring that), and is purchased to overclock (that means a good heating solution needed), is not a good buy.