Do you think an Unlocked core i3 would be cool?

an overclockable dual core i3? priced much lower than an i5 for some great single threaded madness?

for budget builds

Helpful optimist by day, Troll by night

Every second video I unsub from Linus cos he tells me to hit the subscribe button on each video!!!

Very, part of the reason to go with an i5 its because it's the first k you can get, if there was a k i3 it would beat almost every i5 for gaming

-------

Current Rig

-------

Ill add to my comment by saying it would be sweet, but by not doing that intel drives people to the unlocked i5 probably making more money so why would they do it?

Are budget builders overclocking that much? I mean it would be cool but I think it is fine now.

They could be just so they can get the value out of their purchase

I'm thinking pentium anniversary type linup but one which steadily updates every year through the i3 line rather than a one off fun CPU

Every second video I unsub from Linus cos he tells me to hit the subscribe button on each video!!!

It'd likely make i5s irrelevant for gaming so they'd never do it, as the price to performance of an i5 would never hold up in gaming (as of right know at least.

Mein Führer... I CAN WALK !!

just be very generous with thermal semen

System

Spoiler

CPU: Intel Core i7 5820K @4.5GHz - 1.230v  RAM: HyperX Fury DDR4 4x4GB 2666MHz  MB: MSI X99S SLI PLUS  CASE: NZXT H440  CPU-COOLER: Fractal Design Kelvin S24  PSU: Corsair RM1000W w/ white sleeved cable kit  GPU: MSI GeForce RTX 2070 ARMOR  MONITOR: LG 27GL850-B  STORAGE: Samsung 970 EVO 1TB M.2, Samsung 840 EVO 256GB,  WD Red 3TB

They could be just so they can get the value out of their purchase

I'm thinking pentium anniversary type linup but one which steadily updates every year through the i3 line rather than a one off fun CPU

I think it would be sweet and I would probably have one, but I dont ever see it happening sadly unless AMD gets their stuff together.

I think it would be sweet and I would probably have one, but I dont ever see it happening sadly unless AMD gets their stuff together.

I agree with that

I think it would be really cool.

Main rig on profile

VAULT - File Server

Spoiler

Intel Core i5 11400 w/ Shadow Rock LP, 2x16GB SP GAMING 3200MHz CL16, ASUS PRIME Z590-A, 2x LSI 9211-8i, Fractal Define 7, 256GB Team MP33, 3x 6TB WD Red Pro (general storage), 3x 1TB Seagate Barracuda (dumping ground), 3x 8TB WD White-Label (Plex) (all 3 arrays in their respective Windows Parity storage spaces), Corsair RM750x, Windows 11 Education

Sleeper HP Pavilion A6137C

Spoiler

Intel Core i7 6700K @ 4.4GHz, 4x8GB G.SKILL Ares 1800MHz CL10, ASUS Z170M-E D3, 128GB Team MP33, 1TB Seagate Barracuda, 320GB Samsung Spinpoint (for video capture), MSI GTX 970 100ME, EVGA 650G1, Windows 10 Pro

Mac Mini (Late 2020)

Spoiler

Apple M1, 8GB RAM, 256GB, macOS Sonoma

Consoles: Softmodded 1.4 Xbox w/ 500GB HDD, Xbox 360 Elite 120GB Falcon, XB1X w/2TB MX500, Xbox Series X, PS1 1001, PS2 Slim 70000 w/ FreeMcBoot, PS4 Pro 7015B 1TB (retired), PS5 Digital, Nintendo Switch OLED, Nintendo Wii RVL-001 (black)

since the i3 has hyper threading it would basically be a slightly worse i5, but at such a price reduction it would probably cause amd to go under, however it would probably cost intel too much as well as they need people to buy the higher priced cpus to pay for the silicon.

since the i3 has hyper threading it would basically be a slightly worse i5, but at such a price reduction it would probably cause amd to go under, however it would probably cost intel too much as well as they need people to buy the higher priced cpus to pay for the silicon.

The thing is, you can overclock an i3 by upping the FSB speed. Not as safe, but certainly possible. Intel could come out with an unlocked i3 tomorrow if they wanted, all they have to do is unlock the multiplier.

I wouldn't see the point would kill the fact of Intel having the i5.

|King Of The Lost|
Project Dark: i7 7820x 5.1GHz | X299 Dark | Trident Z 32GB 3200MHz | GTX 1080Ti Hybrid | Corsair 760t | 1TB Samsung 860 Pro | EVGA Supernova G2 850w | H110i GTX
Lava: i9 12900k 5.1GHz (Undervolted to 1.26v)| MSI z690 Pro DDR4| Dominator Platnium 32GB 3800MHz| Power Color Red Devil RX 6950 XT| Seasonic Focus Platnium 850w| NZXT Kraken Z53
Unholy Rampage: i7 5930k 4.7GHz 4.4 Ring| X99 
Rampage|Ripjaws IV 16GB 2800 CL13| GTX 1080 Strix(Custom XOC Signed BIOS) | Seasonic Focus Platinum 850w |H100i v2 
Revenge of 775: Pentium 641 | Biostar TPower i45| Crucial Tracer 1066 DDR2 | GTX 580 Classified Ultra | EVGA 650 BQ | Noctua NH D14

The thing is, you can overclock an i3 by upping the FSB speed. Not as safe, but certainly possible. Intel could come out with an unlocked i3 tomorrow if they wanted, all they have to do is unlock the multiplier.

yep, done it with my i5, got to 4.2gz stable. however it stress's allot more of the system, also cause some weird stability glitches with the gpu sometimes

Just an observation... but i've at times seen quite a bit of i7 bashing and several members implying that hyperthreading is a useless marketing gimmic. Everyone here seems to be very supportive and upbeat about an i3's hyperthreading being a great performance boon over a G3258 anniversary. So... am i missing something where pentium vs i3 is amazing because of hyperthreading and i5 vs i7 is unwothwhile because of hyperthreading? Or are so many of this opinion simply because of consumer grade programs not being able to properly utilize more than 4 "real" cores?

i would like to see a lower end I5 unlocked

The weird kid in the corner eating glue
“People think that I must be a very strange person. This is not correct. I have the heart of a small boy. It is in a glass jar on my desk.” - Stephen King

Core i3 is pretty slow. If you are cheap to get an i3, I don't think you'll have the money for a proper cooler to do a proper overclock. And if you do, then you have your priority wrong. You are better off getting a faster Core i5 which you can't overclock in such situation. You'll get a quieter system, and faster, and not to mention more reliable. Oh an dno headaches of bad overclocking.

Just an observation... but i've at times seen quite a bit of i7 bashing and several members implying that hyperthreading is a useless marketing gimmic. Everyone here seems to be very supportive and upbeat about an i3's hyperthreading being a great performance boon over a G3258 anniversary. So... am i missing something where pentium vs i3 is amazing because of hyperthreading and i5 vs i7 is unwothwhile because of hyperthreading? Or are so many of this opinion simply because of consumer grade programs not being able to properly utilize more than 4 "real" cores?

It's mostly that. Gaming doesn't take advantage of more threads very much beyond 4 cores (though you do see an increase every time you step it up, even to a 5960X), so there's not a huge amount of point in spending the extra for hyperthreading, especially if you're going for price to performance.

Core i3 is pretty slow. If you are cheap to get an i3, I don't think you'll have the money for a proper cooler to do a proper overclock. And if you do, then you have your priority wrong. You are better off getting a faster Core i5 which you can't overclock in such situation. You'll get a quieter system, and faster, and not to mention more reliable. Oh an dno headaches of bad overclocking.

Core i3 is a great CPU for budget builds. It beats 8350s on a regular basis in gaming. It's not pretty slow, man. It's all about price to performance. And overclocking a little bit on an i3 with the FSB is fine, you get an awesome boost off of that (albeit perhaps some stability issues with other components)

Core i3 is a great CPU for budget builds. It beats 8350s on a regular basis in gaming. It's not pretty slow, man. It's all about price to performance. And overclocking a little bit on an i3 with the FSB is fine, you get an awesome boost off of that (albeit perhaps some stability issues with other components)

It is pretty slow. If you want price per performance, than Nvidia is selling from nice GeForce 4 for less than 1 $. Most car manufacture gets them. Maybe you should. Has amazing price per performance. What's the problem?

I mean look how it runs well in cars:

starlink-1.0.gif

Now you start seeing why Nvidia is pushing heavily on Tegra with Audi, to show case what a faster CPU/GPU can do, and provide a proper smooth experience. And is now a serious selling point for Audi, being the only car on market with the smoothest in car system (on models that have it).

It is pretty slow. If you want price per performance, than Nvidia is selling from nice GeForce 4 for less than 1 $. Most car manufacture gets them. Maybe you should. Has amazing price per performance. What's the problem?

I mean look how it runs well in cars:

starlink-1.0.gif

I'm just going to pretend that you weren't being totally asinine there.

Don't make me call Zappian, dude. Or any one of the probably dozens of people here who use i3s for gaming. Or people here who use the G3258. for lightly threaded workloads, they are fantastic chips for the price.

I'm just going to pretend that you weren't being totally asinine there.

Don't make me call Zappian, dude. Or any one of the probably dozens of people here who use i3s for gaming. Or people here who use the G3258. for lightly threaded workloads, they are fantastic chips for the price.

You can add "for the price" all you want. It is still a slow CPU. If you are going to buy a 120$ CPU, and a ~150$ heatsink to overclock the chip a bit, then sorry, but you are better off using 240$ Core i5 CPU (which looking at the price, it is a K series), and save 30$. Even if you don't overclock it, you have a faster CPU than your overclock Core i3.

You can add "for the price" all you want. It is still a slow CPU. If you are going to buy a 120$ CPU, and a ~150$ heatsink to overclock the chip a bit, then sorry, but you are better off using 240$ Core i5 CPU (which looking at the price, it is a K series), and save 30$. Even if you don't overclock it, you have a faster CPU than your overclock Core i3.

uhhhhh, sorry, where did I ever say that you had to overclock your processor? I said you could, it's not necessary at all. You can totally buy the $120 processor and use the stock heatsink, that's completely fine.

http://www.xbitlabs.com/articles/cpu/display/core-i3-4340-4330-4130_5.html

Benchmarks for you. All at stock speeds. Some of us are more concerned about the money we save versus... what is it... a 5% increase in overall performance? Sure, if you turn the resolution way the hell down you get quite a bit more of a boost from using the i5s, but at 1080p (where most people at this price point play), the differences in performance between the i3s and the i5s are marginal, they're negligible, they're so insignificant that no gamer would notice the difference if they weren't benchmarking in the first place. You'd get a much more noticeable boost in performance by getting a better graphics card anyway. There's no need to spend bucketloads of money on CPUs and coolers if you don't need the physical cores and aren't into overclocking. Some people aren't. And if you're doing something like video editing... well, you're gonna need a better processor than any of them. If you're calling the i3 pretty slow, then according to these benchmarks, by your definition, the locked i5s are slightly-not-as-pretty-slow. I've got more charts, too, if you want them.