Thunder surge fried my router and Mobo LAN port

Subhajitdas298
Go to solution Solved by d3sl91,

I was using TP-LINK WR841N. Couple of days ago a surge fried it's WAN port and also, destroyed my mobo LAN port. I have some questions regarding them.

1. Can I warranty my router?

2. Can I warranty my mobo (ASUS Z97A)?

3. Can LAN card (NIC) be used to solve the LAN problem, or other part (not under LAN) can also be the root of the problem?

1 + 2 : probably, but, it would be dishonest because surges are not generally covered under warranty. 

3. Possibly. When this happened to a computer I worked on, the CPU ended up being fried as well. If it boots and works - just grab a new cheap nic - you'll know soon enough if anything else is damaged (freezing, reboots, etc). 

Finally, if you did have it all on a surge protector, contact them for warranty. Many will have a warranty and guarantee. Will you get the money? probably not, but can try. 

I was using TP-LINK WR841N. Couple of days ago a surge fried it's WAN port and also, destroyed my mobo LAN port. I have some questions regarding them.

3. Can LAN card (NIC) be used to solve the LAN problem, or other part (not under LAN) can also be the root of the problem?

CPU: Core i5 4690K | Motherboard: ASUS Z97-A | RAM: 2x 8 GB 1866 MHz |
GPU: ASUS NVIDIA GTX 1060 6GB | PSU: Corsair VS550 | Boot Drive: 840 EVO 250GB
| Monitor: Dell S2216H 1080P IPS

A NIC could probably solve the issue. You could RMA it if you don't say anything about the thunderstorm ;)

did you have the pc hooked up to a power bar?

If you need remote help fixing something on your computer

I can help over Teamviewer if you wish

just msg me on my profile

You might want to consider getting some surge protection. As for your smoking components, you could do an RMA but you will need to lie and hope that they don't figure it out. Since "hey my mobo go hit by a lightning and I want you to replace it for free" is not something anyone would like to hear.

1 + 2 : probably, but, it would be dishonest because surges are not generally covered under warranty. 

3. Possibly. When this happened to a computer I worked on, the CPU ended up being fried as well. If it boots and works - just grab a new cheap nic - you'll know soon enough if anything else is damaged (freezing, reboots, etc). 

Finally, if you did have it all on a surge protector, contact them for warranty. Many will have a warranty and guarantee. Will you get the money? probably not, but can try. 

D3SL91 | Ethan | Gaming+Work System | NAS System | Photo: Nikon D750 + D5200

The hell is a thunder surge? sounds like an awesome 80's wrestler name or something

"The of and to a in is I that it for you was with on as have but be they"

did you have the pc hooked up to a power bar?

no

lightning strikes and it his the powerlines or something and then a strong current goes through the cables and strong currents destroy stuff

I know, I was attempting a funny

"The of and to a in is I that it for you was with on as have but be they"

Update:

1. Sent the Router to warranty. They have written diagnostic failure status as "BW". I have to contact after 15 days.

2. My mobo port is safe, just OS issue.

3. Using D-Link 520TX though.

• 2 weeks later...

Update:

1. Just received the new v9 model packed as replacement.

Case closed.