Didgy's Bitfenix Prodigy M mod (WIP)

Didgy

Didgy's Bitfenix Prodigy M mod

I built this case a while ago. Started in october and finished it in about three weeks. I was planning on building a new computer, and I decided to build a small one. However, I had a few criterias my computer would have to fill:

Support for:

• 240mm (2x120mm) radiator
  • 2-way SLI or Crossfire
  • Full-size graphics cards
  • Full-size PSU
  • Large window
  • At least one 3,5" HDD
  • At least one 2,5" SSD
  • Preferably one 200mm fan or larger

I saw the not-so-new Bitfenix Prodigy M. I've long liked the exterior looks of the Prodigy, and this case filled many of my criterias. However, there were a few things that I disliked about this case:

• Motherbord was flipped upside-down
  • Front-panel was placed on the side-panel
  • Didn't support SLI while using 240mm radiator
  • Airflow went from top to bottom (Rather than the opposite which is more preferable temperature-wise)

So, after carefully examining the case's outside and inside dimensions I bought the case and immediately started working on it. I'm not really planning on posting the not-so-many pictures I've taken while working on it unless some people would like some explanation as to how I did certain things. Anyway, here's a few pictures I took of the case a few months back. These are slightly outdated, although I have not done much since they were taken. I will list things done prior to the pictures, things done after and future plans below.

Specs:

• Bitfenix Prodigy M
  • ASUS Maximus VII GENE
  • Intel Core i5-4690K overclocked to 4.2Ghz at 1.09V
  • Corsair H100i
  • Corsair Dominator Platinum 16GB 1866MHz
  • 2 x ASUS GeForce GTX 970 STRIX
  • Corsair AX850
  • Western Digital Black 1TB
  • Corsair Force GS 240GB
  • Corsair Link Commander Mini
  • Corsair Link LED Lighting Strips
  • 2 x Noctua NF-F12 PWM
  • Noctua NF-A14 PWM
  • 2 x Noctua NF-A6x25 FLX
  • Bitfenix Spectre Pro 230mm

Pictures:

ecwZg7X.jpg

bo1EQTb.jpg

NDaLL9Y.jpg

hfXPdAk.jpg

PCGVB5D.jpg

Ozid8Z0.jpg

Things done prior to pictures:

• Flipped the motherboard-tray (And also the whole rear of the case)
  • Moved front-panel from side-panel to the top of the case. Beside the radiator-fans
  • Moved PSU onto front of the case. Used the PSU fan-mounts and screwed them together with the fronts fan mounts
  • New windowed side-panel (Made by Bitfenix)
  • Cut a piece out of old side-panel to fill gap where PSU used to be
  • Used double-sided tape (Alot stacked on top of each other to make one thick piece) to place HDD and SSD on front-panel beneath PSU
  • Placed small felt-pieces between GPUs to make better airflow for upper GPU and to stop upper GPU-fans from touching lower GPU.
  • Bought some industrial 120mm fan grills from Ebay and painted them black with spraypaint.

Things done after pictures:

• Flipped rear fan orientations to provide for better airflow (All lower fans for intake, all upper fans for exhaust)
  • 3D-printed a black plastic frame to place around top fans. Courtesy of my friend Orgitrax (Who has his own Prodigy M-ATX mod, but somehow isn't bothered to publish it)
  • Placed the last screw in the radiator. (The screwthreads are gone in one screwhole. Placed a screw there now but it's only for looks. Doesn't hold the radiator in any way)

Future plans:

• Switch out felt-pieces for similiar ones in black rubber
  • Switch out PSU for a Corsair AX860i
  • Buy new individually sleeved white cables for that PSU
  • Buy new 200mm fan from Noctua when released
  • Buy a mPCIe-based M.2 SSD
  • Buy new SLI-brigde. Possibly a nVidia or ASUS ROG one.
  • Buy a Corsair Dominator Platinum Airflow module. (Because RAM-cooling is swag)
  • Set up a custom watercooling with 3x120mm OR 2x120mm + 140mm radiators. Dual on top and one in the back. (This is not a priority at the time)
  • I'm also tempted to mod room for a 2x140mm radiator on the top. This will most likely not fit if I'm doing the watercooling above.
  • Buy 2 x Noctua NF-A6x25 PWM, better fan speeds control over my FLX ones. (The PWM wasn't released by the time I bought the FLXs)
  • Cut out a square piece of the right side-panel to let the PSU exhaust out of the right side of the case. I'll fill the square piece with some black mesh.
  • Find a new way to sleeve Front Panel Audio Connector. Already tried sleeving it with a heatshrink, but due to the size of connector compared to the cable, the heatshrink looks quite ugly when bending it the way I did in this mod.
  • Possibly buy a new case to do the whole mod over again. The new Front Panel didn't turn out as pretty as I'd like. And there are a few things I'd like to have done differently.

As of now, the project is somewhat put on hold as I'm going into the army in two months. However, I might do many of the things above when I come back. Hopefully, some kickass new hardware is out by then so I can pretty much upgrade the whole computer. I'll probably take some new pictures of how the case looks as of today in the near future.

This is my first case mod ever. Actually my first attempt to cut steel ever. So if anything looks crappy, ugly or impractical, I'll use that as an excuse!

Thanks for checking out my case!

- Didgy

PS: I'm new here!

Wellcome to the forum!

Your build looks very clean and nice.

What is the temperature / fan speed of the upper GPU. My GTX 970 Strix were getting extreme loud when I stacked them so close together like you did.

Mineral oil and 40 kg aluminium heat sinks are a perfect combination: 73 cores and a Titan X, Twenty Thousand Leagues Under the Oil