Asus considering acquiring HTC

KemoKa

Care to provide any concrete evidence as to why it's so unlikely? I mean, be that as it may, it would be extremely useful for both companies if Asus plays its cards right.

When a company chairman says that a particular course of action is on the table and undergoing consideration, I'm not sure it constitutes rumour mill bullshit as you've so indirectly painted it. This isn't Comcast we're talking about here.

Being under consideration and being likely are two very different things. HTC has huge financial issues and very little useful IP for ASUS' needs. ASUS is better off acquiring the LG phone division if it wants experts and brand recognition.

HTC is much like ATI, except its debts are in plain view. ATI hid its problems until after the buyout and AMD got stuck holding the bag. HTC is also quickly losing brand power with the M9 issues. With crippling money issues, little IP, and deteriorating brand, it would be stupid of ASUS to pick it up unless for the specific reason to poach the best engineers/designers and liquidate the rest of the operation, and that sort of move is not in line with ASUS' usual tactics.

Software Engineer for Suncorp (Australia), Computer Tech Enthusiast, Miami University Graduate, Nerd

At this point I dare say Asus would probably do a better job than HTC. Go for it.

Being under consideration and being likely are two very different things. HTC has huge financial issues and very little useful IP for ASUS' needs. ASUS is better off acquiring the LG phone division if it wants experts and brand recognition.

HTC is much like ATI, except its debts are in plain view. ATI hid its problems until after the buyout and AMD got stuck holding the bag. HTC is also quickly losing brand power with the M9 issues. With crippling money issues, little IP, and deteriorating brand, it would be stupid of ASUS to pick it up unless for the specific reason to poach the best engineers/designers and liquidate the rest of the operation, and that sort of move is not in line with ASUS' usual tactics.

Fair enough. Look, no one is or should be making any specific speculation as to how likely or unlikely it is, because Asus themselves have already said that it's being discussed. Might not be the most likely thing in the world, but really we just don't know. All we do know at this point is that it's certainly not without the realm of possibility. Whether or not they have been going downhill with the m9, HTC has made some pretty impressive devices in the recent past like the M7 and the M8, not to mention their VR dev team, and to us, the idea of Asus taking those successes and using them to better ends than HTC has done on their own is quite an interesting, if not appealing prospect to us, even if it would mean Asus liquidating the brand. Who knows, it may happen, it may not. It was never meant to be a set-in-stone thing, this thread.

ATi wasn't in debt, AMD was doing poorly and they still went ahead and bought ATi, which during that time, many thought what the hell was AMD thinking.

Intel Xeon E5 1650 v3 @ 3.5GHz 6C:12T / CM212 Evo / Asus X99 Deluxe / 16GB (4x4GB) DDR4 3000 Trident-Z / Samsung 850 Pro 256GB / Intel 335 240GB / WD Red 2 & 3TB / Antec 850w / RTX 2070 / Win10 Pro x64

HP Envy X360 15: Intel Core i5 8250U @ 1.6GHz 4C:8T / 8GB DDR4 / Intel UHD620 + Nvidia GeForce MX150 4GB / Intel 120GB SSD / Win10 Pro x64

HP Envy x360 BP series Intel 8th gen

AMD ThreadRipper 2!

5820K & 6800K 3-way SLI mobo support list

ATi wasn't in debt, AMD was doing poorly and they still went ahead and bought ATi, which during that time, many thought what the hell was AMD thinking.

Not true. ATI had 1.6 billion in debt (really unfunded liabilities) that weren't caught by AMD until after the buyout. It compounded the problem, and that's what most of the console revenues went to pay off. Now for the 2.4 bn due between 2018 and 2020.

Software Engineer for Suncorp (Australia), Computer Tech Enthusiast, Miami University Graduate, Nerd

Not true. ATI had 1.6 billion in debt (really unfunded liabilities) that weren't caught by AMD until after the buyout. It compounded the problem, and that's what most of the console revenues went to pay off. Now for the 2.4 bn due between 2018 and 2020.

More specifically, January 1st, 2019. if 600 million of those dollars are not in a JP Morgan account by that date, AMD gets hit with automatic bankruptcy, unless someone subsidizes them to keep them afloat...

Upsy-daisy, AMD...

But I digress...

Could be good, it may allow them to penetrate into Europe where Asus phones don't really have much of a market, afaik you can't get Asus phones on contract, so by taking over HTC this could help them in that regard.

I'm gonna keep a close eye on Asus and see if they release a ZenPhone 3, if they do and it fixes all of my gripes with the ZenPhone 2 then I'm gonna get one, I love my HTC One Mini 2, and so far I haven't really seen anything that is a worthy upgrade from it yet and the ZenPhone 2 was nearly perfect, so if Asus does take over HTC and release a ZenPhone 3 then I'll probably spring for that come upgrade time.

It's interesting that they didn't deny a possible buyout, and that says to me that there are definitely serious deals laid out on the table, and if that's the case, then who else is showing interest in buying HTC? Samsung maybe to take out any competition and strengthen their position in the market? Or Microsoft for Windows 10 mobile? Might even be Intel as well, cause they're serious about wanting to get into the smartphone game, and HTC would be an ideal company to take over to get better market penetration, small and weak enough of a company that it wouldn't cost too much to buy, but big enough of a brand name that it wouldn't take much work to market any new phones.

Just some speculation of course, but it does raise interesting questions as to who else might want to buy HTC.

CPU: Core i5 2500K @ 4.5GHz | MB: Gigabyte Z68XP-UD3P | RAM: 16GB Kingston HyperX @ 1866MHz | GPU: XFX DD R9 390 | Case: Fractal Design Define S | Storage: 500GB Samsung 850 EVO + WD Caviar Blue 500GB | PSU: Corsair RM650x | Soundcard: Creative Soundblaster X-Fi Titanium
Click here to help feed our lasses Pokemon

HTC's innovation with Asus' legendary quality would be the ultimate team for me IMO.

They should stop making gold motherboards and they would get that 20% back up in short time.

They should stop making gold motherboards and they would get that 20% back up in short time.

20% for HTC, not Asus. Sorry, I went and fixed my fail OP.

Welp then LG would be my only choice left.

What do you have against Asus? And what of Experia and Droid?

What do you have against Asus? And what of Experia and Droid?

Every single ASUS product I have touched has failed, no matter what.

Really, i'm fine with the iPhone 6 and it's curves, it's just Samsung driving me insane with trying to copy everything Apple has and just bashing them. They have no life.

All companies copy each other.... the iPhone 6 looks like samsung's phones from 2012, except apple used aluminum, which is weaker than plastic, but for some reason people want a more fragile, metal phone over a sturdy plastic phone. And then after they purchase the device, they put plastic on top of the metal so the metal doesn't get damaged. The logic from consumers is unreal.

Fractal Design Define R4 | MSI x79a-GD45 | 3960X @ 4.6Ghz | Lots of EK Blocks | EVGA GTX780Ti 3GB | Corsair Dominator Platinum 16GB (4x4) DDR3 1866 | Samsung 840 Pro 512GB SSD | Western Digital Red 2TB x4 (Raid 10) | Corsair AX760 | Windows 7 Professional 64-bit

Every single ASUS product I have touched has failed, no matter what.

That's some rotten luck. Every ASUS product m family's ever owned has lasted beyond the point of obsolescence of the computer, except for one mainboard we fried by testing without a CPU (in the old days you diagnosed a board issue without the chip in the socket, and then it switched around the time the Q6600 came out).

That's some rotten luck. Every ASUS product my family's ever owned has lasted beyond the point of obsolescence of the computer, except for one mainboard we fried by testing without a CPU (in the old days you diagnosed a board issue without the chip in the socket, and then it switched around the time the Q6600 came out).

Honestly it's weird with the luck I've had with ASUS products. My dad also has had bad luck with them in the past, so we just refuse to buy anything from them. Doesn't help that when we did have a problem and contacted ASUS they were really crappy. Just a year ago a close friend of mine bought a ASUS mobo and it died on him as well(I put it together for him). My dad and I have never had this kind of thing happen with any other brand, at this point I think it's a curse.

Honestly it's weird with the luck I've had with ASUS products. My dad also has had bad luck with them in the past, so we just refuse to buy anything from them. Doesn't help that when we did have a problem and contacted ASUS they were really crappy. Just a year ago a close friend of mine bought a ASUS mobo and it died on him as well(I put it together for him). My dad and I have never had this kind of thing happen with any other brand, at this point I think it's a curse.

That's honestly quite weird, I've had great experience with Asus. The Nexus 7 2013 I have survived me cracking it open to replace the screen. Hint: I didn't use the right tools, but it's still chugging away like mad. Didn't mind at all. Also have an Asus P5B that I picked up from a used parts store bin that was getting rid of them at ¥500 a piece. I was expecting it to be totally dead, but it wasn't, it posts without a hitch. I have a Q6600 in it now.

The only Asus product that I've used for a reasonable amount of time and didn't like was the Eee PC netbooks, and let's be honest, no one liked those.

Their customer service is now terrible. It used to be the best the mobo makers had to offer. My dad served as head of a community support forum for a while when things started to turn. Still, jeez that's bad. In terms of big scale though they seem to far better with DOAs and short-life failures than other brands.

I  had an asus laptop... It stoped booting abruptly. I called customer service. They told it was a manufacturing defect and they where perplexed on how it was working this long and how it got out of QC.. they gave me a new one.

Remember how HTC was really small at first, then just sort of came out of nowhere, 

HTC is founded by Cher Wang and H.T. Cho with the vision to develop mobile devices for the Internet age.
Licensed by Microsoft as its official Windows CE OEM partner.
Microsoft chooses HTC's Palm-size PC as its reference design for the Palm-size PC platform
Receive NSTL logo certification for world’s first Palm-size PC
Capital increase to US$30 million
Ship first "Achenza" notebook product - one of world's first notebooks featuring advanced 2x AGP graphics
Ship world’s first Chinese language Palm-size PC
Ship world’s first Japanese language Palm-size PC
Unveil Jupiter based Handheld PC Pro at Comdex Fall ‘98
Launch advanced Palm-size PC with color display to global markets
Ship sleek, ultra-portable "Alps" notebook
Receive ISO-9001 certification
Launch advanced Palm-size PC with color screen
Showcase new Information Appliances - Thin 200DV Windows based Terminal and Auto PC at CeBIT 2000 in Hannover, Germany.

HTC_Kangaroo_PK10.jpg

clio_02.jpg

pict38.jpg

Do you know HP iPAQ, compaq iPAQ, Palm Treo 650, O2 XDA released in 2002 and all where touch screen and smartphone

repuesto-para-palm-treo-650-600-800w-parPIC00011.jpg58dc2caf20dc798b06e0a82e206615ae.jpg

HTC_Wallaby.jpg

Also remember Fujitsu-Siemens Pocket LOOX of 2004

1174521416.jpg

Not to mention first android phone HTC G1 of 2008 and first sony erricson Xperia line the X1.. all manufactured by HTC High Tech Computers