Asus considering acquiring HTC

KemoKa

http://www.slashgear.com/asus-reportedly-considering-htc-acquisition-12388115/

Asus chairman, Johnny Shih spoke lightly of an acquisition of the phone company HTC, following the phone company's higher-than-expected losses Q2 2015 and a resultant 20% drop in stock prices this week. The chairman iterated that the prospect was "not off the table." Asus CFO, David Chang told Reuters that the idea of purchasing HTC had been spoken of within the company, but is unlikely as Asus values what he described as "Organic Growth."

So even this is not confirmed at all (it's more concrete speculation, I guess?), it looks like HTC is looking to be in a worse way than they imagined and it could lead to Asus saying "ooh, we'll have that." So what are you guys' thoughts on this? would it be without the realm of likelihood that Asus could acquire HTC? My opinion is that it would certainly bolster their smartphone sales (as those haven't been doing that well either), but I don't really know that they'll go for it.

Go forth and comment!

Asus acquiring HTC would sound like something to look forward to, though the mobile market is pretty hard to get into with the iPhone craze (which isn't wrong, but some people just don't give anything else a chance).

Ohhhhhh, yes, especially with Apple and Samsung suing the crap out of each other over curved edges. It's a walled garden of cosmic proportions.

Ohhhhhh, yes, especially with Apple and Samsung suing the crap out of each other over curved edges. It's a walled garden of cosmic proportions.

I think one of the big barriers is that the mobile world seems to love lawsuits. Any company entering needs to have a legal team ready to fight against some giants.

Really, i'm fine with the iPhone 6 and it's curves, it's just Samsung driving me insane with trying to copy everything Apple has and just bashing them. They have no life.

"If it has tits or tires, at some point you will have problems with it." -@vinyldash303

this is probably the only place i'll hang out anymore: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/274320-the-long-awaited-car-thread/

Current Rig: Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600, Abit IN9-32MAX nForce 680i board, Galaxy GT610 1GB DDR3 gpu, Cooler Master Mystique 632S Full ATX case, 1 2TB Seagate Barracuda SATA and 1x200gb Maxtor SATA drives, 1 LG SATA DVD drive, Windows 10. All currently runs like shit :D 

I think one of the big barriers is that the mobile world seems to love lawsuits. Any company entering needs to have a legal team ready to fight against some giants.

It's kind of interesting because Asus of all companies has a tendency to sidestep all that... Maybe HTC could function more easily with Asus at the helm, especially given how aggressively they're pricing the Zenfone 2 (even though no one will buy it because fanboys)

id buy up HTC if I owned a tech company. 

just think, you could have asus VR

CM Storm Switch Tester MOD (In-Progress) - http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/409147-cm-storm-switch-tester-macro-mod/

Ammo Can Speaker 02 (Completed) - http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/283826-ammo-can-speakers-02/       A/B Switch V 0.5 (Completed) - http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/362417-ab-switch-v0

Build 01 - The Life of a Prodigy -  http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/13103-build-01-the-life-of-a-prodigy/             Build 02 - Silent Server 3000 - http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/116670-build-02-silent-server-3000/

It's kind of interesting because Asus of all companies has a tendency to sidestep all that... Maybe HTC could function more easily with Asus at the helm, especially given how aggressively they're pricing the Zenfone 2 (even though no one will buy it because fanboys)

I think ASUS would be a great company to turn HTC around. Make them ASUS mobile division and kill off the Zen Phone. Keep the HTC branding and just ensure the phones are actually good compared to the competition, unlike the M9 failure. The M7 and M8 were great phones but seems like they were just hoping that the same thing would keep working like it does for Apple.

They'll rename it to ROG VR.

That's definitely something I could go for.

I think ASUS would be a great company to turn HTC around. Make them ASUS mobile division and kill off the Zen Phone. Keep the HTC branding and just ensure the phones are actually good compared to the competition, unlike the M9 failure. The M7 and M8 were great phones but seems like they were just hoping that the same thing would keep working like it does for Apple.

Honestly, it would be really cool to see. Remember how HTC was really small at first, then just sort of came out of nowhere, disappeared for a bit and then came back just as quickly? I really think with Asus supporting them they could be a lot less transient and intermittent. Properly engineered phones with truly innovative things applied to them with each generation. HTC is trying to go down the Apple route and it's suffocating them, because their fanbase is not nearly as big or as devoted as Apple's is.

It makes way more sense to me than HTC VR. Asus is way better at appealing to gamers than HTC ever was, they're a mobile company.

That's definitely something I could go for.

Honestly, it would be really cool to see. Remember how HTC was really small at first, then just sort of came out of nowhere, disappeared for a bit and then came back just as quickly? I really think with Asus supporting them they could be a lot less transient and intermittent. Properly engineered phones with truly innovative things applied to them with each generation. HTC is trying to go down the Apple route and it's suffocating them, because their fanbase is not nearly as big or as devoted as Apple's is.

Any company that tries to go the Apple route in the same market will fail. Apple is something special, and not many companies can create a fan base like they can. I never really saw the point in being a fan of a company and blindly buying what ever they make.

It makes way more sense to me than HTC VR. Asus is way better at appealing to gamers than HTC ever was, they're a mobile company.

i saw a video that test did an interview with one of the lead evelopers for the HTC vr and from what i can tell its a far more effective device for beinging able to understand where you are in 3 dimensional space. that said it is expected that youll be able to walk around your living room without issue while wearing this. or something along the lines. 

CM Storm Switch Tester MOD (In-Progress) - http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/409147-cm-storm-switch-tester-macro-mod/

Ammo Can Speaker 02 (Completed) - http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/283826-ammo-can-speakers-02/       A/B Switch V 0.5 (Completed) - http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/362417-ab-switch-v0

Build 01 - The Life of a Prodigy -  http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/13103-build-01-the-life-of-a-prodigy/             Build 02 - Silent Server 3000 - http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/116670-build-02-silent-server-3000/

i saw a video that test did an interview with one of the lead evelopers for the HTC vr and from what i can tell its a far more effective device for beinging able to understand where you are in 3 dimensional space. that said it is expected that youll be able to walk around your living room without issue while wearing this. or something along the lines. 

HTC's VR platform should, if for no other reason, be justification for purchase by Asus. Even though it might not be financially viable if just for that end. That's just my opinion though. It could happen though, if the HTC VR set manages to do everything right. I think that they could kick ass on all fronts if Asus bought them.

Can't wait for ROG phones where you can whack a LN2 pot thingy on it and overvolt the sh*t out of it! xD

If you want my attention, quote meh! D: or just stick an @samcool55 in your post :3

Spying on everyone to fight against terrorism is like shooting a mosquito with a cannon

Can't wait for ROG phones where you can whack a LN2 pot thingy on it and overvolt the sh*t out of it! xD

we could have one with a thermal interface plate on the back so you can attach a heatsink and clock your phone to 4GHz.

we could have one with a thermal interface plate on the back so you can attach a heatsink and clock your phone to 4GHz.

Love that idea! Cmon Asus buy HTC already!

Just imagine how cute a watercooled phone would look. Useless, but cute :3

If you want my attention, quote meh! D: or just stick an @samcool55 in your post :3

Spying on everyone to fight against terrorism is like shooting a mosquito with a cannon

Love that idea! Cmon Asus buy HTC already!

Just imagine how cute a watercooled phone would look. Useless, but cute :3

Well, it wouldn't be all that useless... Dads could just buy their daughters one when they start high school, and instead of having to buy another each new generation of phone, they just raise the multiplier. It'd be an awesome cost-saving mechanism for the working family person :P

In my honest opinion, that's the best that could happen to HTC.

phanteks enthoo pro | intel i5 4690k | noctua nh-d14 | msi z97 gaming 5 | 16gb crucial ballistix tactical | msi gtx970 4G OC  | adata sp900

Well, it wouldn't be all that useless... Dads could just buy their daughters one when they start high school, and instead of having to buy another each new generation of phone, they just raise the multiplier. It'd be an awesome cost-saving mechanism for the working family person :P

Lol :D love you way of thinking.

But the fact it needs a pump, block and rad+fan will make the phone huge. And probably too big to fit in your pocket, or whatever :(

I'm actually wondering how small you can go with WC.

Or just VROG. No it still sounds terrible.

Honestly, it would be really cool to see. Remember how HTC was really small at first, then just sort of came out of nowhere, disappeared for a bit and then came back just as quickly? 

You make phones like Desire (the original one) and M7 and you have a hit. A friend still has Desire and it's fully functional, never broke down. Except he dropped it few times and it's still alive.

The ability to google properly is a skill of its own. 

This is about as likely as Xilinx acquiring AMD, which is the new rumor mill BS.

Software Engineer for Suncorp (Australia), Computer Tech Enthusiast, Miami University Graduate, Nerd

Really, i'm fine with the iPhone 6 and it's curves, it's just Samsung driving me insane with trying to copy everything Apple has and just bashing them. They have no life.

Don't get me started here they both copied each other so don't just say one is better than the other one

Sounds like this could potentially benefit both consumers and the companies involved in this. No guarantees though, but has potential to create some good competition for bigger manufacturers on mobile market.

Never trust my advice. Only take any and all advice from me with a grain of salt. Just a heads up.

This is about as likely as Xilinx acquiring AMD, which is the new rumor mill BS.

Care to provide any concrete evidence as to why it's so unlikely? I mean, be that as it may, it would be extremely useful for both companies if Asus plays its cards right.

When a company chairman says that a particular course of action is on the table and undergoing consideration, I'm not sure it constitutes rumour mill bullshit as you've so indirectly painted it. This isn't Comcast we're talking about here.