Combine Dual Gigabit Ethernet Ports?!

Go to solution Solved by sirtoby,

Yeh I do have dual ports on the client, but I use an unmanaged gigabit switch what's the difference

A manged switch allows you to configure it, stuff like vLans, or Lan teaming. There is a type of switch between managed and unmanaged called "smart switch". These can be configured too, but lack some professional features you'd get with a managed switch. 

Have a look at his: http://www.amazon.com/TP-LINK-TL-SG105E-5-Port-Gigabit-Tag-Based/dp/B00N0OHEMA/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1434118027&sr=8-1&keywords=smart+switch+5+port

The 8 port version is about 5$ more

Hi, I have a server with one built in gigabit port and another from a PCIE to gigabit card and a mobo with dual gigabit ports. I currently just use a single gigabit connection. If I connected both dual ports to my gigabit switch is there a way in which I can get 2 gigabit speeds?

Thanks,

James

I believe you should be getting higher speeds overall (on the server ofc). Don't expect 2 Gbit speeds on your clients though :)

Spoiler

CPU:Intel Xeon X5660 @ 4.2 GHz RAM:6x2 GB 1600MHz DDR3 MB:Asus P6T Deluxe GPU:Asus GTX 660 TI OC Cooler:Akasa Nero 3

SSD:OCZ Vertex 3 120 GB HDD:2x640 GB WD Black Fans:2xCorsair AF 120 PSU:Seasonic 450 W 80+ Case:Thermaltake Xaser VI MX OS:Windows 10
Speakers:Altec Lansing MX5021 Keyboard:Razer Blackwidow 2013 Mouse:Logitech MX Master Monitor:Dell U2412M Headphones: Logitech G430

Big thanks to Damikiller37 for making me an awesome Intel 4004 out of trixels!

I believe you should be getting higher speeds overall (on the server ofc). Don't expect 2 Gbit speeds on your clients though :)

What happens if it's the ONLY client on the server?

If your client has a single gigabit connection it can't go over 1 gbit/s. It may work if you add a second gigabit port on the client as well, but I'm not 100 % there.

Spoiler

CPU:Intel Xeon X5660 @ 4.2 GHz RAM:6x2 GB 1600MHz DDR3 MB:Asus P6T Deluxe GPU:Asus GTX 660 TI OC Cooler:Akasa Nero 3

SSD:OCZ Vertex 3 120 GB HDD:2x640 GB WD Black Fans:2xCorsair AF 120 PSU:Seasonic 450 W 80+ Case:Thermaltake Xaser VI MX OS:Windows 10
Speakers:Altec Lansing MX5021 Keyboard:Razer Blackwidow 2013 Mouse:Logitech MX Master Monitor:Dell U2412M Headphones: Logitech G430

Big thanks to Damikiller37 for making me an awesome Intel 4004 out of trixels!

What happens if it's the ONLY client on the server?

You'd need a managed switch in the first place and you'd also need dual lan ports on your client

Molex to SATA, lose all your data

You'd need a managed switch in the first place and you'd also need dual lan ports on your client

Yeh I do have dual ports on the client, but I use an unmanaged gigabit switch what's the difference

A manged switch allows you to configure it, stuff like vLans, or Lan teaming. There is a type of switch between managed and unmanaged called "smart switch". These can be configured too, but lack some professional features you'd get with a managed switch. 

Have a look at his: http://www.amazon.com/TP-LINK-TL-SG105E-5-Port-Gigabit-Tag-Based/dp/B00N0OHEMA/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1434118027&sr=8-1&keywords=smart+switch+5+port

The 8 port version is about 5$ more

Molex to SATA, lose all your data

you can't get 2gbit speeds by using 1gbit ports.

you can however set it up to allow 2x1gbit streams at the same time however this will depend on the load balancing algorithm options and if it supports the port option.

A little knowledge is very dangerous
CPU: I7 6700K CPU Cooler: CORSAIR Hydro H110i Motherboard: Asus Maximus VIII Hero GPU: 2x Asus GTX980 STRIX RAM: 4x4 (16GB) Corsair DDR4 Case: Corsair 900D Storage: 750GB SSD PSU: Corsair HX1000W Displays: 2xAsus PB287Q (4k) 2x1080 Monitors Keyboard: QPAD MK50 Mouse: 1xRazor Naga Elite 2x Razor Naga Sound: Asus Essence STX, Quad Elite Pre Amp, Quad 909 Power Amp, Monitor Audio GR20 Speakers Headphones: Logitech G930, Sennheiser Momentum Black Microphone: Rode NT1-A, Behringer Xenyx 802, Behringer Ultra-Curve Pro EQ OS: Windows 7 64bit