2 GPU's with different RAM

matto97

If you have 2 GPU's the same but one has 4 GB and the other has 2 GB does the effect it and how?
Both DDR5 RAM

Desktop: CPU: I7-5820K GPU: 980Ti, 750Ti PhysX Mobo: MSI X99A SLI PLUS RAM: 4x4 Kingston DDR4 2400MHz OS: Win10
Storage: 250GB Samsung Evo, 3TB WD Black and Green FIRESTRIKE, Reason for dedicated PhysX Card.

Peripherals: Screen: 3x BenQ VZ2350 Mouse: Razer Naga Keyboard: Some Dell Thing Sound: Razer Tiamat, 5.1 Logitech Surround Speakers

If you have 2 GPU's the same but one has 4 GB and the other has 2 GB does the effect it and how?

Both DDR5 RAM

Then it will choose the one with the lowest ram, so you will have 2gb vram 

In this case, your SLI or xFire setup will run with the card with the lowest amount of VRAM, in this case, 2GB.

"The REVISED Companion Cube, v2.1" - "1440p, lock on." Discover it by clicking here.   // Peripherals - Corsair Strafe RGB  + Steelseries Rival

CPU - i7-6700k // Motherboard - ASRock Z170 Extreme 6+ // CPU Cooler - Corsair H100i GTX // Memory - 16GB HyperX Fury DDR4-2133 (2x8GB) // Storage - Samsung 850 EVO 120GB + Seagate Barracuda 1TB // Graphics - Crossfire Sapphire R9 Fury Tri-X // PSU -  EVGA SuperNova G2 850W // Case - Corsair Carbide Air 540 (Steel) // Devices - iPhone 6 Plus, Macbook Pro //

Ok thanks guys.

Desktop: CPU: I7-5820K GPU: 980Ti, 750Ti PhysX Mobo: MSI X99A SLI PLUS RAM: 4x4 Kingston DDR4 2400MHz OS: Win10
Storage: 250GB Samsung Evo, 3TB WD Black and Green FIRESTRIKE, Reason for dedicated PhysX Card.

Peripherals: Screen: 3x BenQ VZ2350 Mouse: Razer Naga Keyboard: Some Dell Thing Sound: Razer Tiamat, 5.1 Logitech Surround Speakers

I didn't even think that worked. as far as I thought they had to match if they were to run in Xfire or SLI mode.

running seperately it wouldn't matter, in which case they could be completely different.

Both DDR5 RAM

If im not incorrect, if you are running SLI with 1x 4GB card and 1x 2GB card the extra vram on the 4gb card will be thrown out the window, however crossfire allows you to mix and match much more :)

Both DDR5 RAM

it appears this will work for AMD Xfire, but not for Nvidia SLI. if you were running them as independent GPUs for different displays and you weren't gaming across multiple displays connected to different graphics cards, nor expecting them to combine performance, it will work just fine for either as independent graphics cards.

SLI would not work, crossfire would only use 2GB for each card, and if you're talking about one at a time, under 2 GB they would perform the same, and above 2GB the 4GB card would start to pull ahead, the further above 2GB you go, the more difference it will make.