Microsoft's Surface Hub - Full specs reveal, pre-order starts July 1st, release date, and prices revealed (hope you have money)

GoodBytes

Microsoft announces the pre-order of the Microsoft Surface Hub. The big conference room screen+computer showed at multiple events, and reveals its details.

surface_hub_pr_story.jpg

They are 2 models available:

-> 84inch 4K resolution.

-> 55inch 1080p resolution.

Both model features:

-> a custom version of Windows 10

-> 128 GB SSD

-> 8 GB RAM

-> 100-point multi-touch screen

-> 2x Surface Hub digitize pen, with high subpixel accuracy tracking (important for the resolution of the screen size)

-> Wi-Fi (802.11 a/b/g/n/ac)

-> Ethernet 1Gbps

-> Bluetooth 4.0 low energy

-> NFC Reader

-> Miracast Enabled (receiver)

-> Dual 1080p front-facing cameras, 100 degree Horizontal field of view

-> High performance, 4 element array microphone

-> Dual Front-facing stereo speakers

-> 2 Passive Infrared Presence Sensors, Ambient Light Sensors to adjust screen brightness automatically based on the room lighting condition and time of day.

-> Microsoft All-In-One Media Keyboard included

-> Monitor stand on wheels included.

-> 1 year warranty with on-site service and support as well (that is Microsoft tech come to the company and fix the system)

-> Assembled in the U.S

As for ports they are about the same:

The 84inch has:

-> 1x USB 3.0

-> 4x USB 2.0

-> DisplayPort Out

-> 3.5mm Headphone Stereo Out

-> RS232 Serial (RJ11)

-> DisplayPort In

-> HDMI In

-> VGA In

-> 3.5mm Stereo In,

-> 2x USB 2.0 in plugs (type B)

The 55 inch has:

-> 1x USB 3.0

-> 2x USB 2.0

-> DisplayPort Out

-> 3.5mm Headphone Stereo Out

-> RS232 Serial (RJ11)

-> DisplayPort In

-> HDMI In

-> VGA In

-> 3.5mm Stereo In,

-> 1x USB 2.0 in plugs (type B)

So, as you can see minor differences.

As for CPU:

84inch -> 4th Generation Intel Core i7 with Nvidia Quadro K2200 Graphics

55inch -> 4th Generation Intel Core i5 with Intel HD 4600 Graphics

Release dates of both is in September.

The 55inch model can be yours for only: $6,999 US

The 84inch model can be yours for only: $19,999 US

While it may sounds pricey, it it actually pretty competitive in meeting room equipment market (if you want to call it that).

Microsoft says that the average amount spent on a conference room for 8-12 people is around $38,000 by companies, this excludes installation cost, which is what the big 84inch model aims at. And a room of only 3-4 people average cost is $21,000, again without installation.

The Surface Hub is a all in one system, so no installation needed beside the general OS configuration needed.

Neowin reports that while talking to JP Gownder, Vice President and Principal Analyst at Forrester, he noted that Oblong's Mezzanine meeting room technology system costs $125,000+ per room, and Cisco's Telepresence and as well as a similar solution from HP are in the range of $50,000+.

Microsoft does says that the Surface Hub is aimed at enterprises at really not the consumer.

Source: http://www.neowin.net/news/microsoft039s-surface-hub-pre-order-start-july-1st-top-end-will-cost-19999

So, how many will you order today?

Do you work in a company? Would you be interested in such solution? Does your company have several offices in different regions?

Does time *emoji* means A ?

And the 88inch seems great for business in their conferees rooms.

ﷲ   Muslim Member  ﷲ

KennyS and ScreaM are my role models in CSGO.

CPU: i3-4130 Motherboard: Gigabyte H81M-S2PH RAM: 8GB Kingston hyperx fury HDD: WD caviar black 1TB GPU: MSI 750TI twin frozr II Case: Aerocool Xpredator X3 PSU: Corsair RM650

I work in the Education industry - specifically e-learning and technology in schools. This is great for that. 

Considering schools routinely spend tens of thousands on curriculum... this is cheap. 

D3SL91 | Ethan | Gaming+Work System | NAS System | Photo: Nikon D750 + D5200

Very cheap indeed.

i5 4670k @ 4.2GHz (Coolermaster Hyper 212 Evo); ASrock Z87 EXTREME4; 8GB Kingston HyperX Beast DDR3 RAM @ 2133MHz; Asus DirectCU GTX 560; Super Flower Golden King 550 Platinum PSU;1TB Seagate Barracuda;Corsair 200r case. 

It is expensive, but enterprise gear always is. And I'm quite sure that with those prices you also get quite a bit of software support. 

Not aimed at all at the consumer but still fun stuff. 

"Great minds discuss ideas; average minds discuss events; small minds discuss people."

Main rig:

i7-4790 - 24GB RAM - GTX 970 - Samsung 840 240GB Evo - 2x 2TB Seagate. - 4 monitors - G710+ - G600 - Zalman Z9U3

Other devices

Oneplus One 64GB Sandstone

Surface Pro 3 - i7 - 256Gb

Surface RT

Server:

SuperMicro something - Xeon e3 1220 V2 - 12GB RAM - 16TB of Seagates 

Anyone saying the 84" model is bullshit and not worth $20,000. This product is NOT for you.

To fully equip a conference room with a proper Projector, Screen, Computer to drive Projector (Desktop, laptop, whatever), conference phone w/ proper audio setup, you're going to routinely spend way more than $20,000.

This is a single, multi-collaborative device designed for a big conference room, to do everything you need in one package.

I'm going to try (and likely fail) to convince my boss we need one :P

For Sale: Meraki Bundle

iPhone Xr 128 GB Product Red - HP Spectre x360 13" (i5 - 8 GB RAM - 256 GB SSD) - HP ZBook 15v G5 15" (i7-8850H - 16 GB RAM - 512 GB SSD - NVIDIA Quadro P600)

"A custom version of windows 10"

Is it gonna be a disaster like RT was?

Specs: 4790k | Asus Z-97 Pro Wifi | MX100 512GB SSD | NZXT H440 Plastidipped Black | Dark Rock 3 CPU Cooler | MSI 290x Lightning | EVGA 850 G2 | 3x Noctua Industrial NF-F12's

Bought a powermac G5, expect a mod log sometime in 2015

Corsair is overrated, and Anime is ruined by the people who watch it

What does that have to do with anything? Its a custom W10 because the Hub is a niche product with a vastly different use case than most W10 products. 

What does that have to do with anything? Its a custom W10 because the Hub is a niche product with a vastly different use case than most W10 products.

Im afraid Microsoft will gimp it somehow in an attempt to market it more towards business use or something and then stop supporting it in a generation or two

Specs: 4790k | Asus Z-97 Pro Wifi | MX100 512GB SSD | NZXT H440 Plastidipped Black | Dark Rock 3 CPU Cooler | MSI 290x Lightning | EVGA 850 G2 | 3x Noctua Industrial NF-F12's

Bought a powermac G5, expect a mod log sometime in 2015

Corsair is overrated, and Anime is ruined by the people who watch it

Im afraid Microsoft will gimp it somehow in an attempt to market it more towards business use or something and then stop supporting it in a generation or two

Umm...it's being marketed towards business use from the onset and business use gets far more support than consumer level gear.

im excited. stuff like this is awesome. at UoM they are putting in a bunch of "smart rooms" for studying and such. as each had 100K of electronics in them, this would be amazing

Nha. I think they mean that the lock screen is different, and the "desktop" environment is different. Not sure if they blocked desktop applications or not from running or what, but the backend-end of Windows 10 is the same as Windows 10.

Would be cool if they made a version for consumers where it works like a Windows 10 TV. Not sure how that would work though.

Blue Jay

CPU: Intel Core i7 6700k (OC'd 4.4GHz) Cooler: CM Hyper 212 Evo Mobo: MSI Z170A Gaming Pro Carbon GPU: EVGA GTX 950 SSC RAM: Crucial Ballistix Sport 8GB (1x8GB) SSD: Samsung 850 EVO 250 GB HDD: Seagate Barracuda 1TB Case: NZXT S340 Black/Blue PSU: Corsair CX430M

Other Stuff

Monitor: Acer H236HL BID Mouse: Logitech G502 Proteus Spectrum Keyboard: I don't even know Mouse Pad: SteelSeries QcK Headset: Turtle Beach X12

GitHub

This is cheap given that Samsung's 102" 5K is about $130K.