Is the new Macbook worth it?

Hey everyone,

I'm in just about to start my full time course for nursing and am after a quick, light laptop to stuff in my backpack for uni to take notes on in class, browse the web and create powerpoints/write essay and assignments on.

I'm not a huge fan of mac os (but i can use it just fine as its what my school use to use) and I'm also not a fan of the one single usb type-c port (like everyone) but I am a fan however of the thin and lightness of it and I am also a fan of the battery life. I won't need it for raw performance however as i have a desktop pc with an i5 and gtx970 at home. This will purely be for taking to class every day.

If you can offer any suggestions for a similar price I'd be happy to consider them :)

So it begs the question, is it worth me getting the 2015 macbook purely for a university note taking and assignment making laptop?

Thanks heaps in advance for all the help everyone,
Cheers Hodge :)

Location: Kaunas, Lithuania, Europe, Earth, Solar System, Local Interstellar Cloud, Local Bubble, Gould Belt, Orion Arm, Milky Way, Milky Way subgroup, Local Group, Virgo Supercluster, Laniakea, Pisces–Cetus Supercluster Complex, Observable universe, Universe.

Spoiler

12700, B660M Mortar DDR4, 32GB 3200C16 Viper Steel, 2TB SN570, EVGA Supernova G6 850W, be quiet! 500FX, EVGA 3070Ti FTW3 Ultra.

No, just look at any small thin laptop that will surely have more ports, do just as good a job and be cheaper. might be a smidge larger...but hardly anythign note worthy.

System Specs

CPU: Ryzen 5 5600x | Mobo: Gigabyte B550i Aorus Pro AX | RAM: Hyper X Fury 3600 64gb | GPU: Nvidia FE 4090 | Storage: WD Blk SN750 NVMe - 1tb, Samsung 860 Evo - 1tb, WD Blk - 6tb/5tb, WD Red - 10tb | PSU:Corsair ax860 | Cooling: AMD Wraith Stealth  Displays: 55" Samsung 4k Q80R, 24" BenQ XL2420TE/XL2411Z & Asus VG248QE | Kb: K70 RGB Blue | Mouse: Logitech G903 | Case: Fractal Torrent RGB | Extra: HTC Vive, Fanatec CSR/Shifters/CSR Elite Pedals w/ Rennsport stand, Thustmaster Warthog HOTAS, Track IR5,, ARCTIC Z3 Pro Triple Monitor Arm | OS: Win 10 Pro 64 bit

yeh, great laptop and it will last you a long time. i personally use a macbook for all of my schoolwork as well, works better than a pc in a school environment if you ask me (people will probably give me shit for saying that, but osx flows really well when office or school work)

only thing i dont like is the keyboard, but according to linus in his review, its quick to get used to.

4690K // 212 EVO // Z97-PRO // Vengeance 16GB // GTX 770 GTX 970 // MX100 128GB // Toshiba 1TB // Air 540 // HX650

Logitech G502 RGB // Corsair K65 RGB (MX Red)

Yeah I understand the apple logo alone adds a lot to the price but the build quality and battery is just so nice that it's hard not to consider...

Those aren't the only ones that are light and thin, you know. Take the Dell XPS series for an example, Linus is a big fan of them and they might be even cheaper than the MacBook (I think).

New to Star Citizen? Look no further!

the asus zenbook series is thinner stronger and faster.(and it has more then one port:P)

Computer's don't make errors. What they do, they do on purpose.

is any macbook worth its price, you pay a ton for the apple logo :)

Yep, its one of the only times that I'd recommend another Apple laptop over it. The Macbook Air which is only lacking in the screen department over the Macbook.

"We also blind small animals with cosmetics.
We do not sell cosmetics. We just blind animals."

"Please don't mistake us for Equifax. Those fuckers are evil"

This PSA brought to you by Equifacks.
PMSL

Get a Microsoft surface

PC is alive again! :System: CPU:Intel i5 4960k/ Motherboard:ASUS Gryphon Z97/ RAM: Kingston 16GB/ GPU: ASUS R9 Fury X/ Storage: 120gb Crucial SSD, 2TB Seagate SSHD/ PSU: Cooler Master 700w/ Displays: 1 Acer B276HK ymjdprz 27-inch 4K Ultra HD/1 ASUS 21.5 LCD LED 21.5 monitor

I know of no MacBooks worth the price.

AMD Phenom II B55 Quad / unlocked dual core 4.3ghz CB R15 = CB 422
XFX R9 390 8GB MY RIG: http://uk.pcpartpicker.com/p/MVwQsY
Fastest 7770 on LTT . 3rd Fastest Phenom II Quad on LTT

PCSX2 on AMD CPU? http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/412377-pcsx2-emulator-4096x2160-amd-phenom-ii/#entry5550588

Yeah I understand the apple logo alone adds a lot to the price but the build quality and battery is just so nice that it's hard not to consider...

UX305 is half the price, same performance, same battery life 

http://arstechnica.com/gadgets/2015/04/asus-zenbook-ux305-its-no-macbook-but-its-a-good-midrange-laptop/2/

Location: Kaunas, Lithuania, Europe, Earth, Solar System, Local Interstellar Cloud, Local Bubble, Gould Belt, Orion Arm, Milky Way, Milky Way subgroup, Local Group, Virgo Supercluster, Laniakea, Pisces–Cetus Supercluster Complex, Observable universe, Universe.

Spoiler

12700, B660M Mortar DDR4, 32GB 3200C16 Viper Steel, 2TB SN570, EVGA Supernova G6 850W, be quiet! 500FX, EVGA 3070Ti FTW3 Ultra.

I'd wait until the second/third revision to even give it a second thought.

I'd wait until the second/third revision to even give it a second thought.

Or there are the older versions to consider...

PMSL

Or there are the older versions to consider...

Even so, I tried out the new Macbook and it feels good. If it had more storage options and a touch screen (and more ports, obviously), I'd buy it if I was in the market for something like that.

Even so, I tried out the new Macbook and it feels good. If it had more storage options and a touch screen (and more ports, obviously), I'd buy it if I was in the market for something like that.

Or Apple could do something not normal for them and actually make a laptop with the best features from all 3 lines, but they won't because $$$.

PMSL

Hey everyone,

It would be very well suited to those tasks, however, if you do not need the screen quality, the cheaper 11.6" or 13" air could be a great alternative with better performance, more IO etc

If you REALLY need to save the weight and you want a better display the Macbook is great

if you want a more all round machine, then get a 13" retina pro, its still portable enough to take around all day, and is very powerful :D

Also consider a Surface pro 3, or a Dell or Asus Ultrabook

Desktop - Corsair 300r i7 4770k H100i MSI 780ti 16GB Vengeance Pro 2400mhz Crucial MX100 512gb Samsung Evo 250gb 2 TB WD Green, AOC Q2770PQU 1440p 27" monitor Laptop Clevo W110er - 11.6" 768p, i5 3230m, 650m GT 2gb, OCZ vertex 4 256gb,  4gb ram, Server: Fractal Define Mini, MSI Z78-G43, Intel G3220, 8GB Corsair Vengeance, 4x 3tb WD Reds in Raid 10, Phone Oppo Reno 10x 256gb , Camera Sony A7iii

Hmmm, thanks for all the feedback everyone. I'm gonna keep taking in everything you say and keep on looking around on the web for reviews and comparison and what not :)

Anybody with personal experience is also extremely welcome to post their own experiences with any of these laptops as they all sound like great ideas.

Thanks again,
Hodge :)

Or Apple could do something not normal for them and actually make a laptop with the best features from all 3 lines, but they won't because $$$.

The Macbook looks a lot nicer aesthetically than other notebooks in it's class which is why I'd buy it over other ones.

Because the Asus and Dell competitors look sorta lame.

The Macbook looks a lot nicer aesthetically than other notebooks in it's class which is why I'd buy it over other ones.

Because the Asus and Dell competitors look sorta lame.

Apple-kings of design and marketing. But clueless when it comes to price/performance. Kind of like Beats.

PMSL