Sigma 17-50mm F2.8 EX Alternatives

Hey All,

I am looking fo a good "kit" lens upgrade. I currently have a 35mm 1.8 Prime that I use for pretty much everything (I do random and street photography). But having a wide angle, but also bit of zoom in a lens would be great. I have a kit lens, but I used it until my 35mm was purchased (about a day) and havent touched it much since. Will probably just sell it to BH or Adorama for $60 ::shrugs::

The faster the lens the better (hence the 2.8), as this will be used indoors as much as outdoors, and flash will not always be an option. 

I am aware of the Tamron and Sigma lens' that fit the bill. But anything else (new or used) that I should be looking at? 

This is for a D5200, although there may be an upgrade to a full-frame in the next couple of years (so, not too big of a deal if its a crop lens, but, if not, great)

D3SL91 | Ethan | Gaming+Work System | NAS System | Photo: Nikon D750 + D5200

SNIP

Just FYI the term "kit lens" should only be reserved for stock included lenses that come included with cameras at retail... calling any other lens a "kit" lens makes 0 sense.. since its not part of a kit

A standard zoom lens like a 17-50 (basically a 24-70 full frame equivalent) is a fantastic all round lens so its a great choice

between the Sigma and Tamron there is not much to choose, they both have similar optical performance and both offer stabilisation, Personally I would say Tamron, purely because I have had lots of experience of fantastic Tamron lenses but this is nothing more than my own bias

Also just because a lens is "f2.8" does not make a lens "better" in fact some F4 glass is sharper, F2.8 purely just means a wider aperture which improves low light perforance and increases depth of field but sharpness is a different matter entirely

When it comes to zooms, even standard zooms like this, they are generally softer wide open than they are when stopped down to say f4 or f5.6 etc

EDIT': the Sigma 18-35 f1.8 is an amazing lens too, arguably THE best APSC lens on the market

Desktop - Corsair 300r i7 4770k H100i MSI 780ti 16GB Vengeance Pro 2400mhz Crucial MX100 512gb Samsung Evo 250gb 2 TB WD Green, AOC Q2770PQU 1440p 27" monitor Laptop Clevo W110er - 11.6" 768p, i5 3230m, 650m GT 2gb, OCZ vertex 4 256gb,  4gb ram, Server: Fractal Define Mini, MSI Z78-G43, Intel G3220, 8GB Corsair Vengeance, 4x 3tb WD Reds in Raid 10, Phone Oppo Reno 10x 256gb , Camera Sony A7iii

Any that are 17 or 18 -50 f 2.8 or the sigma 18-35. The sigma is amazing.

I used to have SIGMA 18-50mm f/2.8 (back in 2009; discontinued) that can take macro shots too. I hope to purchase another one of their lens in future. Prime lens, I used Canon EF 50mm f/1.8.

I have yet to test TAMRON but my neighbour had a whole range of them (an ex-wedding photographer).

i7-6700K | MSI Z170A Gaming M5 | COOLER MASTER Hyper 212X | CORSAIR Vengeance LPX 2600MHz 8GB (4GBx2 kit) | MSI GeForce GTX 970 | FSP Aurum S 600W

Wordpress

Just FYI the term "kit lens" should only be reserved for stock included lenses that come included with cameras at retail... calling any other lens a "kit" lens makes 0 sense.. since its not part of a kit

A standard zoom lens like a 17-50 (basically a 24-70 full frame equivalent) is a fantastic all round lens so its a great choice

between the Sigma and Tamron there is not much to choose, they both have similar optical performance and both offer stabilisation, Personally I would say Tamron, purely because I have had lots of experience of fantastic Tamron lenses but this is nothing more than my own bias

Also just because a lens is "f2.8" does not make a lens "better" in fact some F4 glass is sharper, F2.8 purely just means a wider aperture which improves low light perforance and increases depth of field but sharpness is a different matter entirely

When it comes to zooms, even standard zooms like this, they are generally softer wide open than they are when stopped down to say f4 or f5.6 etc

EDIT': the Sigma 18-35 f1.8 is an amazing lens too, arguably THE best APSC lens on the market

Thanks for your input. I am well aware of all you mentioned hence my request for a specific lens or alternative. Hah, and yes, I am talking about the cheap 18-55 Kit lens. I used it for about a day before I purchased first a 50 1.8 and then settled on a 35 1.8. I'm just now getting around to purchasing a more flexible non-prime upgrade. 

Any that are 17 or 18 -50 f 2.8 or the sigma 18-35. The sigma is amazing.

I used to have SIGMA 18-50mm f/2.8 (back in 2009; discontinued) that can take macro shots too. I hope to purchase another one of their lens in future. Prime lens, I used Canon EF 50mm f/1.8.

I have yet to test TAMRON but my neighbour had a whole range of them (an ex-wedding photographer).

Thanks for the confirmation on the Sigmas (or tamrons if I go with them). 

Unfortunately I missed a really good deal on a used Sigma on BandH for ~275 in 8+ condition. 

D3SL91 | Ethan | Gaming+Work System | NAS System | Photo: Nikon D750 + D5200

My wife uses a Nikon 17-55 2.8 which she is quite happy with.  Its an older lens that you may be able to find on the used market...  Otherwise, the Sigma 18-35 1.8 is a reported to be quite amazing.  If you get the Sigma, maybe invest in a cheap 50mm 1.8 or 85mm 1.8 for the tele end of things.

CPU AMD Ryzen 2700 X / Motherboard  / RAM 4 x 4GB  / GPU Zotac 1080Ti Amp Edition / Case Fractal Design Meshify C / Storage Samsung 850 PRO / 1TB WD Black & 2TB WD Green / PSU / Cooling Noctua / Keyboard Ducky Shine 2 / Mouse Logitech G700 / Sound O2 Amp/DAC & Audioengine A5+ speakers