Small camera for videography and traveling

So my friend wants to buy a small camera for both videography and travelling. As of right now he doesn't have a budget. He needs the camera to have a tilt screen that can do that selfie thingy, idk what to call it. Like when he's filming himself, he needs to be able to see himself... rip my english. lol. Compacted for travelling and would prefer a mic input. Or should he get a external recorded for the microphone? 

You must "Quote" to get my attention​.

~IBIubbleTea - 20/07/2014 

What does he want to do when travelling? Video or photo?

If it's solely video, get something like the Blackmagic Pocket Cinema Camera. Very cheap and small with great image quality. Doesn't have a selfie screen (few cameras do) but has the output for an external screen when filming and just using the in built screen when out and about. You could rig this up (camera, lens, memory card, external screen and tripod) for less than many modern DSLRs.

If it's not just video, and he needs stills, the Canon EOS750D (or equivelant Nikon) would be best budget option, but isn't particularly small, so the Sony A7 range or Panasonic GH4 are also great choices.

The sony a5100 or sony a6000 should be amazing choices.

Case: Phanteks Evolve X with ITX mount  cpu: Ryzen 3900X 4.35ghz all cores Motherboard: MSI X570 Unify gpu: EVGA 1070 SC  psu: Phanteks revolt x 1200W Memory: 64GB Kingston Hyper X oc'd to 3600mhz ssd: Sabrent Rocket 4.0 1TB ITX System CPU: 4670k  Motherboard: some cheap asus h87 Ram: 16gb corsair vengeance 1600mhz

What does he want to do when travelling? Video or photo?

If it's solely video, get something like the Blackmagic Pocket Cinema Camera. Very cheap and small with great image quality. Doesn't have a selfie screen (few cameras do) but has the output for an external screen when filming and just using the in built screen when out and about. You could rig this up (camera, lens, memory card, external screen and tripod) for less than many modern DSLRs.

If it's not just video, and he needs stills, the Canon EOS750D (or equivelant Nikon) would be best budget option, but isn't particularly small, so the Sony A7 range or Panasonic GH4 are also great choices.

Do you think getting the a5100 with the h4n and the rode mic as a good setup for both video and photo. 

Do you know how the low light performance of the a5100 is? 

Do you think getting the a5100 with the h4n and the rode mic as a good setup for both video and photo. 

Do you know how the low light performance of the a5100 is? 

the A5100 is ok the A6000 is miles better if inside the budget

Low Light performance is pretty much on par with any other APSC DSLR/mirrorless camera, and sony sensors generally fare very well in this regard

I would go for the Zoom H5 over the H4n, its a much better design, better pre-amp and is not much more expensive, a good cheaper alternative would be a zoom H1 which works perfectly well too and is less than half the price!!

Desktop - Corsair 300r i7 4770k H100i MSI 780ti 16GB Vengeance Pro 2400mhz Crucial MX100 512gb Samsung Evo 250gb 2 TB WD Green, AOC Q2770PQU 1440p 27" monitor Laptop Clevo W110er - 11.6" 768p, i5 3230m, 650m GT 2gb, OCZ vertex 4 256gb,  4gb ram, Server: Fractal Define Mini, MSI Z78-G43, Intel G3220, 8GB Corsair Vengeance, 4x 3tb WD Reds in Raid 10, Phone Oppo Reno 10x 256gb , Camera Sony A7iii

the A5100 is ok the A6000 is miles better if inside the budget

Low Light performance is pretty much on par with any other APSC DSLR/mirrorless camera, and sony sensors generally fare very well in this regard

I would go for the Zoom H5 over the H4n, its a much better design, better pre-amp and is not much more expensive, a good cheaper alternative would be a zoom H1 which works perfectly well too and is less than half the price!!

Well the thing with the a6000 is that it doesn't have the selfie screen he wants for recording. I can talk to him about the a6000 with the external mic.. We will see if he is willing to have a downside to his setup

Well the thing with the a6000 is that it doesn't have the selfie screen he wants for recording. I can talk to him about the a6000 with the external mic.. We will see if he is willing to have a downside to his setup

No, thats true but I would take a better camera over a selfie screen :D and you can always get external monitors if he is serious about film making (or even an external recorder like the blackmagic video assist)

Desktop - Corsair 300r i7 4770k H100i MSI 780ti 16GB Vengeance Pro 2400mhz Crucial MX100 512gb Samsung Evo 250gb 2 TB WD Green, AOC Q2770PQU 1440p 27" monitor Laptop Clevo W110er - 11.6" 768p, i5 3230m, 650m GT 2gb, OCZ vertex 4 256gb,  4gb ram, Server: Fractal Define Mini, MSI Z78-G43, Intel G3220, 8GB Corsair Vengeance, 4x 3tb WD Reds in Raid 10, Phone Oppo Reno 10x 256gb , Camera Sony A7iii

No, thats true but I would take a better camera over a selfie screen :D and you can always get external monitors if he is serious about film making (or even an external recorder like the blackmagic video assist)

Do you have any recommendations for a external monitor? Lets say one with a medium budget and one with a higher budget.

Do you have any recommendations for a external monitor? Lets say one with a medium budget and one with a higher budget.

Cheap budget, something like the neewer or viltrox

low to medium, apeture display

medium black magic video assist (also clean hdmi recorder for prores)

High Ninja Blade / 2

high small hd

insane, atamos shogun :P

more insane.. well skys the limit

ir he's filming in the house, any spare monitor or TV with HDMI in will do.

I would recomend the Panasonic HCV-250 its compact, does that camera selfy thing :D and records in 1080p HD. It has up to 90x Optical Zoom. The only problem being the mic input. I would recomnend like the poeple before a Zoom H2N if he was to get a external mic. As it allows you to move it around and record High Definition Audio.